IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Iobit Driver Booster 4 crashed my system

sardine9

Hi everyone, this is URGENT

Please let me know what I have to do to get back to normal

I just bought this new laptop and I stupidly ran driver booster on it

My wireless adapter drivers seem to be malfunctioning

The WIFI disabled itself and won't let me enable again, it goes to blue screen

Also it gives me just 3 seconds to try to read everything on that screen of death, I cant

I think i need to reinstall the wifi driver but i dont have internet on that laptop

So i am on my other laptop now. The name of the of adapter is REALTEK RTL8188ETV ,in device manager, when i tried to uninstall the drivers, it did so, i checked for hardware changes, and then it went to blue screen again

Driver booster updated other drivers as well but nothing else is giving me problems. Most of the other drivers were Intel related to graphics or cpu.

I think the main problem is with the Realtek drivers.

Please help if you can.

I have Windows 7 ultimate with avast anti vurus free

Hi sardine9

If you look at the many posts in the driver booster section you will see a huge number of users with the same or similar issue.

Driver booster does not play well with Realtek drivers. I recommend that in future before you use new software, thet you first look at the relevant forum to see if any issues were encountered by others.. This will save you a lot of grief.

To sort your issue now you should do a system restore to a time before you did your driver update.

You may have to boot in safe mode to get around the blue screen.

If the restore does not work then you will have to download and install the correct driver from the Realtek site.

Thanks, i have no restore point, i will go to the realtek site, i already deleted the old drivers from device manager, and rebooted right away. How do I know what is the correct driver?

And how can I make sure the other drivers on my system are not affected? how can i know the full extent of the damage?

I am traveling to South America soon and won't be able to deal with future problems there. I want to fix it here and now.

I just downloaded the 10/100 Ethernet USB 2.0 Software and ran on it on the affected machine. Ann install error popped up It's asking to make sure i have finished any previous setup and close other appklcations, there is an error code as well. But i never made any previous installs.

There is a Rollback function in Driver booster that enables you to revert back to the old driver if issues occur after an update.

There is also a Driver Rollback function built into windows. Google Driver Rollback function for your OS for the relevant instructions.

I hpe you will now activate your restore option in windows as this should have shown you that System Restore can be a lifesaver.

As for how to know how the rest of your system has been affected........you will only know when an issue occurs. Another good reason to have system restore.

Yes i will remember about Restoring the System, i rebooted and ran the install file. rebooted again. Installed the file succcesfully, but still no change in device manager or the internet, so i rebooted again. And there is no change the wireless card doesnt even show up in he connections. But I am still not able to get online

I uninstalled it, reboot, the driver automatically tried to install, same as before, did not install, however in device manager, there are now TWO other devices, 802.11n NIC and other Ethernet Controller, both failed. I don't know why uninstalling AVast would make 2 appear, but still no change. Ran the install manually again, still no proper install.

Yes...a lot of them are w10 but there are quite a few dealing with w7 also.

The second link does not only deal with Safe mode. In fact some of the solutios make a point that Safe Mode is not necessary.

You have to read the entire post. There is no short cut to solving this. You must be prepared to read and try the solutions.

I just checked event viewer maybe it has something to do with Windows Update, as it pretty much ignores my manual install of the driver file, it just keeps focusing on the windows looking for the driver by itself and failing.

But the biggest error in event viewer is one happening every 10 seconds, literally. Red Error says ACPI: the embedded controller EC did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate there is an error with the EC firmware or the bios is accessing the EC incorrectly.

If this is an error happening every 10 seconds, this must be the problem? What is EC?

This is a completely different problem and is ususlly either a hardware problem or the Intel Management Engine and Chipset Drivers. You seem to be trying various things other than the recommended solutions. You must be careful and only try the recommended solutions,,,,otherwise you will cause more serious issues. I suggest you do a Cold Boot....shut down the pc completely. Disconnect the Power. Remove the Battery. Wait 10 minutes. Replace the battery. Connect the power. Start the PC.

EC is the Embedded Controller. See Here

The recommended solutions have not worked i have been all over the link you sent and Iobit is taking a long time to answer my support request.

Since the issue may be with drivers, perhaps it's related after all, the Driver Booster did update more than 12 drivers. It's possible i have more than one driver problem. Although I don't know that until Iobit responds.

I don't know how to deal with hardware, open battries, etc..

I managed to install the driver and now it shows up in device manager however it is not working there is a yellow exclamation point next to its name and no wifi adapter shows up in the connections list despite finally installing the drivers.

I ran a network diagnostic and it concluded saying there may be an issue with your driver or firmware, still no closer to a solution

It is strange that none of the solutions worked. I would be 90% sure that it is a driver problem.

As for not knowing how to deal with Batteries.......it is a laptop. A Laptop runs on a battery. This Battery can be easily removed. Your laptop manual will show you how.

You should follow my suggestion to do a Cold Boot.

Also your feedback here is sketchy which makes it more difficult to assist you. You do not mention the EC issue any more or the Bluescreen issue. Are these now resolved. Did you uninstall Avast.

Now that you have the driver installed, the yellow exclamatoio is saying that it is not enabled. You should right click on the Driver with the yellow exclamation and select delete. When it is deleted you should reboot the pc. Windows should load a generic driver by default.

As for waiting for Iobit......good luck with that.

What is the make of the laptop. You can google how to remove the battery. What would you do if the battery became faulty and needed replacement.

I will assume that you also did not get any system discs with your order.....which would have allowed you to reinstall the original drivers.

Did you delete the driver with the exclamation mark as I suggested.

Yes...a lot of them are w10 but there are quite a few dealing with w7 also.

The second link does not only deal with Safe mode. In fact some of the solutios make a point that Safe Mode is not necessary.

You have to read the entire post. There is no short cut to solving this. You must be prepared to read and try the solutions.

Hi Scannan,

Thanks so much for helping to answer the questions. :oops:

I just checked event viewer maybe it has something to do with Windows Update, as it pretty much ignores my manual install of the driver file, it just keeps focusing on the windows looking for the driver by itself and failing.

But the biggest error in event viewer is one happening every 10 seconds, literally. Red Error says ACPI: the embedded controller EC did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate there is an error with the EC firmware or the bios is accessing the EC incorrectly.

If this is an error happening every 10 seconds, this must be the problem? What is EC?

Hi sardine9,

We received your email about this issue and we already replied to your email as well. Please check your email.

Thanks.

Archived