IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Star Wars: The Old Republic and GB3

Calthek

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to using GB3, and have mainly been using it for SWtOR, but no matter what I turn off I still get some lag, I know my processor is just about recommended for the game (dual core 2.2ghz, rec is 2GHz) but I have played games that require alot more processor power without issues on this laptop.

I was wondering what I could possibly turn off to make this run smoother if anyone has a rough idea of most things a windows 7 x64 can safely turn off and help improve the game.

it's mainly fps drops and casting lag that happens

Thanks in advance

Hi Kalthek! Welcome to Iobit Forum!

Let's take a look at your system basics. Can you please download Piriform Speccy, run it and post a screenshot of its main GUI with your basic system information? Speccy is safe software from a highly respected programmer, it is here: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!!

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 57 °C

Penryn 45nm Technology

RAM

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-15)

Motherboard

Acer JV80 (U2E1) 50 °C

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)

1024MB GeForce GT 240M (Acer Incorporated [ALI]) 48 °C

Hard Drives

488GB Seagate ST9500325AS (SATA) 43 °C

Optical Drives

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H

UFSTOLA KXUZOP6JKD SCSI CdRom Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Hi Calthek!

You have a nice machine!:-)

I had suspected your video processor was the culprit as it was a laptop with an Intel chipset. But even your video processor (1024MB GeForce GT 240M (Acer Incorporated [ALI]) 48 °C) is more than adequate! The weakest link is your processor, but it does meet the minimum requirements of Tho Old Republic!

I cannot advise right now on the Windows Question, but I will try to look into it!

I don't know if this will help or not but you could perhaps look at different screen sizes or resolutions to get smoother performance! This is your current screen resolution:Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)

Perhaps some others will post on this!!:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I have tried altering the screen resolution - it doesn't make much of a difference other than messing the pixels up lol.

if needed I will post a picture of all processes in the list that I can shut down with gb3 if anyone thinks it will help to see what I can shut down while playing.

That may be useful!

Also are you exiting as many applications/emptying your system tray as much as possible before turning on GB? Another possibly helpful thing would be to manage and limit your start-up programs as much as possible, as some will leave bits running in the background even after they are closed. You could then re-boot with only the vitals running, before running GB, thus eliminating a few things GB may miss! You can also try using the largest possible USB memory sticks you have and fully enable them in the Ready Boost of Windows (If Win. 7 has this... Vista does).

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Calthek!

Please see this topic at Windows Support: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/readyboost

I don't know if ready boost will help or not as you have 4 gigs of RAM installed, but it is worth a shot if you have a good sized memory stick!

Also I am wondering if when you experimented with smaller screen resolutions or sizes did you look to see if there was a corresponding setting inside SWTOR that needed to match the setting in Windows? That setting would have automatically been set when you installed the software.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Yeah tried all resolutions, even tried it in windowed mode, but if I run it windowed the game seems to just aalter my resolution back to what it should be anyway lol, as I said it is only a minimal lag, just some cast lag in between some pvp fights, but really don't know what to chat to stop it.

I just tried SWTOR on my laptop (Lenovo SL510, 4GB, ATI HD4570) today, and figured that turning off shadows is what I needed to do to make it playable.

Make sure that V-Sync is disabled, and that your power management plus the nvidia driver is adjusted for performance, which means no power saving and support of multiple monitors enabled.

It might also help you tweaking the tcp/ip stack, but that is a bit more complicate thing to do, so I suggest you read on speednet to see what your network devices support and how you adjust it.

They also provide a graphical tool for it, yet it requires that you know the basics.

Little site note: I played it with my mobile phone as access point, worked fine, so bandwidth is no big issue, latency on the other hand needs to be low.

As for ReadyBoost, it won't do anything for the game, if you really want to improve, replace your HD with a SSD.

And lets hope that the game engine gets multi threading support soon, that will also help a lot.

Though, it does help to disable Core Parking in Windows 7, since the OS is smart enough to provide us with some help.

On my desktop I get 2 cores constantly loading at 40% and up for swtor .exe (which shows as 2 instances in process monitor)

The last 6 cores are not working much, but do take some of the load when the 2 mentioned are heavy loaded, even seems to kick in before they hit 80% load.

• 1 month later...

Just a little addition for those who have 6GB RAM and more.

You can use FancyCache in Read/Write mode (without defer write)

6GB users max 2GB RAM for the cache, other max up to 4GB cache, helps a lot on loading times, even with the fastest 2nd gen SSD drives.

Romexo's FancyCache will cost a licanse at some point thou, so for those who are a bit more techie and don't want to spend money on a disk to ram caching app there is a totally free ramdisk solution.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=154568

Archived