IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Game Booster 1.1 auto dial up

Rick

Hi Rick

Please send a list of your services.

They can be found if you write services.msc in Run - and in the toolbar there is a button that says Export List. Please send that zipped and attached for example.

The only other possibility that comes to my mind is possibly the Internet settings/ the tab advanced in the Control panel.

I will check and see if a command exist there that could make this happen.

Cheers

solbjerg

Why does Game Booster 1.1 automatically dial the internet when I open the program window? Can I stop this from happening, because I usually don't play many online games. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rick

I can't find IS360service in your services

By me it is there and set to started and manual

Have you uninstalled the program?

Cheers

solbjerg

Attached is the requested list of services (for Windows 7 RC).

Again...thanks, solbjerg, for the timely reply.

I love Game Booster, and the automatic dialup thing is really only a minor inconvenience.

Hi Rick

What I am looking for is IS360 in your Administrator services.

To see what its settings are.

It is still not shown in the attached zip file.

Cheers

solbjerg

I haven't uninstalled Game Booster, but it wasn't running when I compiled the list of services. I'm going to start the program (but not switch to gaming mode) and recompile and forward the services list.

I noticed this as well.

The program attempts to connect to 174.37.22.187

That IP is controlled by a company called Softlayer Technologies of Dallas Texas which appears to be a commercial data center and hosting company. Undoubtedly this is the company that the developer of Game Booster uses.

Once connected, it makes a GET request for /infofiles/gbupdate.upt

This is a text file which contains the following:

[GameBooster]
newVersion=1.1.1.56
URL=http://www.majorgeeks.com/Game_Booster_d6148.html

I gather that the program is connecting to the developer's server and downloading a text file which contains info about the latest version. If the latest version is greater than the installed version, then the user is likely directed to the Major Geeks URL referenced in the file (which is the MG page for Game Booster.

This isn't an uncommon method for programs to autoupdate, and I find nothing malicious in either the connection itself, the file downloaded, nor the page referenced (Major Geeks is a respected and legit download site).

Nevertheless, I think it's bad form to not include an option to disable this.

Yeah...seems like someone should provide an option to disable the auto dial up feature, or provide an option to check for updates manually, but I suppose that's what these forums are for...to get suggestions for future builds.

Thanks for the help...still love GameBooster.

Archived