IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Telephone Fraud -Update

Cicely

Hi All,

If someone calls you at home or on your mobile claiming to be from "IObit" to advise that you "have a virus on your computer", be warned  it's likely to be a scam!

Every week, we receive some feedbacks that users were charged $100 to $300 for Advanced SystemCare PRO. How expensive the Advanced SystemCare PRO is! After investigation, we find those users were cheated by frauds.

Those frauds call users and get users' permission to remote control users' computers by scaring them that their computers have many errors or by some other means. Once they control users' computers, they will do some good to users' computers to convince that they really help maintain and optimize the computer. In this case, Advanced SystemCare FREE becomes their favorite choice as Advanced SystemCare is very popular and enjoys good reputation in optimizing software market and the Free version also does the fix job.

It finally ends up with the suggestion to purchase their service to maintain users' computers or something like that at several hundred of bulks. Advanced SystemCare FREE is for those who really need it and love IObit products. We should blame those frauds' actions.

By the way, we never sell any IObit products at that kind of price . Usually, the Unite Price for IObit products is less than $50. If the price is higher, you should check the authenticity.

We highly recommend that users should be very careful when you receive that kind of calls. You should search for more information before getting your money out, especially when you do some online transaction.

Thanks for supporting IObit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be possible to have some sort of ambush system that sends a Trojan to there computer as soon as you let them enter your computer, the virus in the Trojan could be like some sort of homing beacon that gives the authorities the address of there operation and consequently have them arested.... or have I been watching too many N.C.I.S. films. :oops::roll:

Hi J maybury!

As this problem mostly arises from around the globe in largely lawless circumstance... (or law not enforced) who are the authorities you would call???

Sure you can pin thir IP address down and all...maybe even their relative location... but who are you gonna call to go get them, lock them up, and prosecute them??

Not to mention the international political issues that governments form policy on.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

As this problem mostly arises from around the globe in largely lawless circumstance... (or law not enforced) who are the authorities you would call???

Sure you can pin thir IP address down and all...maybe even their relative location... but who are you gonna call to go get them, lock them up, and prosecute them??

Not to mention the international political issues that governments form policy on.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Ghost busters :lol::lol::lol:

All bar, hiring some mercenaries I guess it's pretty much imposable.:sad:

• 8 months later...
Could it be possible to have some sort of ambush system that sends a Trojan to there computer as soon as you let them enter your computer, the virus in the Trojan could be like some sort of homing beacon that gives the authorities the address of there operation and consequently have them arested.... or have I been watching too many N.C.I.S. films. :oops::roll:

I think the best thing you can do is just make sure you are protected from these kinds of assaults on your computer, or just use a cheap online fax, because those are sometimes a safe alternative. I use a number of different security programs, and viruses have not really been an issue for me.

• 2 years later...

I received such a call, but it appears to have originated from someone within the IOBit support staff. Here is what happened yesterday:

I purchased a license to open up all of the features of Advanced System care. I was taken to a website that said, to activate the license, I have to call this number

I called the number and the staff person said that he had to get access to my computer in order to activate the license.

So I gave him access. He did some activity that I had suspension about. He sent up into my emails looking for the license number. Then he asked me why am I using this software. I said it was because my computer was very slow. He asked me how old was my computer, and I said I think about a couple of years. (in retrospect, I think that question was to determine if I would be willing to pay their fee to fix it. He said I have a lot of issues and he would hook me up with expert support. I thought that the software was supposed to fix my problems, but I allowed this new person to enter my computer.

He showed me a lot of stuff about my computer as to why it was slow. Then he said that the problems can only be fixed manually, not by the software. He looked up a couple of local computer places and showed me. Then he said that they would charge about $500, but he had a service that would only charge something over $200 and it could all be done online

When I said I would rather purchase another computer than to pay that much on this one, he said that even if I purchased another computer, I would be back to my current situation in a couple of weeks. Thats when I started suspecting this was a hard sales pitch, which I was surprised computer from iobit. I figured that was hogwash, cause how could that be if I started fresh without anything from the old computer?

When I said I needed time to research, he said that he could not give it to me if I didn't get it right now. That's when I was definitely sure it was a sales pitch and a scam, not wanting me to take the time to research!! BUT...I was surprised that someone fro IObit support staff set me up. I wanted to let you know what I experience but this is the only place I could relate it. Let me know if you want more details..

Leon

Hi elpeacen

Welcome to the Forum.

How are you so sure that it was an Iobit support person. Your situation sounds exactly like the warning in the OP (opening post), which would suggest it is a scam and not connected to Iobit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Scannan,

Read his intro paragraph again. He said he purchased the Pro licens online and then, "I was taken to a website that said, to activate the license, I have to call this number. I called the number and the staff person said that he had to get access to my computer in order to activate the license."

That looks like IObit's license server was hit by a drive-by drop, that was maybe removed an hour or two later, before IObit's security scanner would go active, so it wasn't there when the (daily?) scan was run. "To err is human, ..." but to refuse to recognize a possibility of an issue is not divine.

I renewed my ASC8 today at 11:30 am $21.99 for 3 licenses. I never received my activation email. I clicked on the phone icon on the right and was directed to what ended up being a nightmare situation. She took control of my computer assuring me that I would be able to take it back any time I was uncomfortable (WRONG). I asked why she needed control of my PC to get my license renewal sent to me. She went to check my email. Then she yelled at me (SERIOUSLY!) "Where's the email. You have no email from us." Duh. That's why I called. I had also put in the old email thinking they had sent the new activation license there. I asked them to resend it. They did, but it was the old, expired code. So she finds this, highlights it and yells at me again. "Well no wonder! It's expired." I reminded her again the reason I called was because I had just paid and not received my new activation code. She just kept highlighting. And saying, "It's expired."

THEN she took control and began running diagnostics and telling me how my computer is in horrid condition. Funny. I've been running Iobit on it for the past year. Isn't that what it's for? She tried to sell me "Advanced Technical Support" for $249. To say anything at all, I would have to scream into the phone. She would just talk louder while running amok all over my PC. There was no way to stop her. She fought me for control of my PC as I sought to shut it down. I won. The only way I could end the process was to shut down the computer, with her screaming in my ear the entire time and working more furiously. I have no idea what she may have done to my PC. I do know I am out $21.99 with no product delivery.

I've read the forums about similar issues, but they say it resulted from these people contacting us directly, but nooooo. This was a click right on the Iobit website.

My questions?

Who is this person I ended up talking with after clicking on a telephone link on the Iobit website--if not Iobit?

Why does Iobit not have email or phone support for their products.

Why is there clear way to contact the company to resolve issues.

Where is my product!

I am not happy. fyi Next step is to complain to PC Magazine, C-Net and more if I do not get resolution within the next 48 hours.

• 1 month later...

I am really very upset with our experience of dealing with customer support around 9:30 PM or so Tuesday night. For about a week I have had a pop up telling me that some free trial was over and the only options given to get rid of the pop up were to purchase or remind me. I had to click remind me and then could scan my computer. I had recently purchased Advanced SystemCare Pro 8 for just under $15 and it's a one year subscription.This time the pop up would NOT go away and I could not even scan! I tried to deal with it online but wasn't given the room on the form to even say what I had purchased. I got mad so my husband decided to call the number given. He hung up on the woman after only a few minutes because she just wasn't saying hardly anything. Then SHE called us! So I just thought well this must be something they are dealing with and they want to get it taken care of. She then wanted remote access so I told my husband it was okay, sometimes they need that. She then proceeded to go through everything on our computer and acted like there was no email proving I had even purchased the product. He told her the date and she found it. Probably fixed our problem immediately thereafter. Then my husband couldn't get off the phone with her and she still had remote access! I came over to see what was going on because I could hear him saying, over and over again, no we don't need that, no we don't want that, no we have our own guy to take our old computer to, etc. There were all kinds of boxes on the screen. He handed the phone to me and walked out of the room. I said Hello several times before she even acknowledged me. I told her we were not buying anything else and to stop. She asked where my husband was and I told her he was done with the call and she would deal with me. She said she wasn't trying to sell us anything and I said yes you are. She asked for my husband again and I told her she was going to talk to me. She told me she didn't have to talk to me and would sit there silently until my husband was back on the phone. I told my husband she wouldn't talk to me and she acted like she would just stay on the phone for hours if needed, which would crash our data! She was rude and I am beyond angry. My husband finally got on the phone and miraculously the boxes started shutting down and he was off the phone. He even restarted the computer because he wasn't sure she was out of it! She was going on and on about how old our computer was and if he would purchase so and so it would work better, she just would not stop! So this is your customer care? When this current subscription is over we will not be buying another!

Hi Lori,

Sorry to hear that.

Which telephone No. did you call? No matter who did you call, you can decline or stop remote control of your PC when you want. Currently, we supply 1-855-491-2547 to help our users solve some technical issues.

1-855-491-2547 is the phone number of tech support provided by our partner. It is just an option for those who need help. If you do not have issues, you do not need to call. And it is your choice to get the telephone service or not.

By the way, do you still get the popup? If you did, please send us the related screenshots so that we can help you out of it.

?Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

The number we called was one of the ones you listed in your reply to me: 1-855-491-2547. The number that she called us from after my husband hung up on her is not either of the numbers you listed. It was: 1- 844-219-1732! So this now has me even more worried now! How do I know she does not still have some kind of access to my computer? No, I have not had the pop up since but am having to scan my computer again when I shouldn't have to. I scanned it last night after all was said and done and today had to do the same. Yes we have an old computer, can't help that. I will scan as often as needed, but, I just am uncomfortable with what happened and that she called us from a number not listed. Can you confirm that the number she called us from is with your company?

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your reply. If it is the same person when you call at the first time, it might be theirs. But after Scannan checked the No. you called, it is from someone else. Sorry I did not figure it out at the first time.

@ all, please be careful when you get unknown calls.

Hi Cicely

This issue is becoming more serious every time it is posted, and telling users not to worry is unacceptable. There is something seriously wrong here. Either Iobit's helpline is being hi-jacked, or Iobit are unable to control their so called Support Partner. I am extremely concerned about this whole business, and it's impact on the reputation of Iobit and the Forum.

The second number which User Lori mentions ( i1- 844-219-1732) is highlighted as a Scam, see this Link

The most worrying part about this is that Iobit do not appear to be dis-associating themselves from this practice/harassment but instead are issuing explanations. This issue needs to be dealt with definitively and finally and all necessary steps taken to prevent other users from being subjected to this harrowing experience.

Hi Scannan and enoskype,

@ Scannan,thanks for making everything clear here. Yes, we should try our best to avoid our users being cheated by this kind of sam that is why we post this thread here.

I will continue to pay attendtion to these situations and see anything else we can do to avoid this situation.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Calling the support line on front page and trying to make a purchase the call was confiscated by people with thick accents wanting a lot of personal information and asking me to make a remote connection to them

Scammers often pretend to be someone you trust, like a government official, a family member, a charity, or a company you do business with. Don’t send money or give out personal information in response to an unexpected request — whether it comes as a text, a phone call, or an email.

• 4 months later...

The number we called was one of the ones you recorded in your answer to me. The number that she called us from after my significant other hung up on her isn't both of the numbers you recorded. It was: 1-844-219-1732! So this currently has me considerably more stressed at this point! How would I realize she doesn't at present have an entrance to my PC? No, I have not had the spring up since yet am examining my PC again when I shouldn't need to. I filtered it the previous evening after everything was said and done and today needed to do likewise. Indeed, we have an old PC, can't support that. I will check as regularly varying, yet, I simply am awkward with what occurred and that she called us from a number not recorded. Would you be able to affirm that the number she called us from is with your organization?