IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unwanted Software Installs and Advertisements

OzTechGeek

At the beginning of January I purchased all IObit software "Advanced SystemCare Ultimate", "IObit Uninstaller", "Protected Folder", "Smart Defrag" and at the end of the month I purchased "Driver Booster" and "IObit Malware Fighter". I just installed all the software and activated them on my new laptop and noticed some strange things I was not expecting:

1. I understand "Free" versions having Ads built into the software, but "Registered/Subscription Based" software I did not expect to continue to have these Ads, Is this standard practice for IOBit? Are there plans to remove all advertisements in future releases for Paid/Subscribed versions?

2. When I installed “IObit Malware Fighter” and "Driver Booster" and connected my laptop to the internet I noticed the following software getting downloaded and then installed without my knowledge and approval:

IOTransfer

KeepVid

Lavasoft Web Companion

Had to use “IObit Uninstaller" to remove them but it did not completely remove them, and I’m not sure what else got “Automatically” installed I did a quick check and did not notice anything else.

Is this IObit’s policy to automatically install unwanted software without user approval? Kind of strange that these “Security” type of software would install these unwanted application, Is there a way to “Turn Off/Disable” these automatic application installs?

I’m worried that going forward that “Additional Software” will be installed without my knowledge or approval.

Anyone else have this happen or have previous experience with IObit software doing this or any comments/suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

• Like 1

At the beginning of January I purchased all IObit software "Advanced SystemCare Ultimate", "IObit Uninstaller", "Protected Folder", "Smart Defrag" and at the end of the month I purchased "Driver Booster" and "IObit Malware Fighter". I just installed all the software and activated them on my new laptop and noticed some strange things I was not expecting:

1. I understand "Free" versions having Ads built into the software, but "Registered/Subscription Based" software I did not expect to continue to have these Ads, Is this standard practice for IOBit? Are there plans to remove all advertisements in future releases for Paid/Subscribed versions?

2. When I installed “IObit Malware Fighter” and "Driver Booster" and connected my laptop to the internet I noticed the following software getting downloaded and then installed without my knowledge and approval:

IOTransfer

KeepVid

Lavasoft Web Companion

Had to use “IObit Uninstaller" to remove them but it did not completely remove them, and I’m not sure what else got “Automatically” installed I did a quick check and did not notice anything else.

Is this IObit’s policy to automatically install unwanted software without user approval? Kind of strange that these “Security” type of software would install these unwanted application, Is there a way to “Turn Off/Disable” these automatic application installs?

I’m worried that going forward that “Additional Software” will be installed without my knowledge or approval.

Anyone else have this happen or have previous experience with IObit software doing this or any comments/suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

I am interested in buying the Iobit Driver Booster Program, What you suggest me, should I go for driver booster

• 6 months later...

IOTransfer

KeepVid

Lavasoft Web Companion

Thanks

Yep, you're right about the spamming from IOBit (what other name is possible for this?). Under the guise of keeping users informed about new products, IOBit spams every user continuously and relentlessly without any user option to decline. I've complained about it to support and they say they'll "pass along my comments" but, of course, it's just lip service. An interesting situation exists here where the "anti-spamming" company spams almost every day to it's paid users (yes, paid users as well as freebies). In addition to the spamming, the advertising language is structured so that you believe there's some kind of update for the software you're using but, you soon find out it's just a scam to get you to buy the next version.

It's really a shame because the product is excellent; the uninstaller is fantastic and the driver load app is also unmatched as far as I'm concerned. But, I'm to the point where it's time to look for alternatives due to their constant spamming. The company has a fiduciary responsibility here which it isn't practicing so, your choice is to either put up with it or move on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@OzTechGeek,tawari, and kstj :

Sincerely soffy for my late reply.

First, IObit will not install any programs with out your authorization. But you may get recommendation as you mentioned. Anyway, you can always decline the recommendation per your needs.

Perhaps, you treat these recommendations as ads. We are sorry for that. But we really just want to show users that they are other programs that you might be interested. And you can click Hide in action to hide the recommendations.

For the issue" Under the guise of keeping users informed about new products, IOBit spams every user continuously and relentlessly without any user option to decline", if you mean the newsletter, you can unsubscribe in the Email you got and then you will not get the notice.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will report all your feedbacks to our product team for consideration. We will try to make improvements.

Welcome more sugegstions.

Have a nice day.

• 2 years later...

Hey Cicely,

Calling a donkey an ass doesn't change it.  Calling an ad a "recommendation" is the same.

I don't know how many times I've selected what I thought was one of the almost daily updates and it turned out to be the new version.  That's bad enough but I'm looking at an ad for iTop VPN right now telling me my IP address is exposed while showing me an IP address that is not my own, since I have a VPN already, and the only buttons clearly identified will all install the program.

This is the fine print from the bottom of this ad "By clicking button, you agree to install to install iTop VPN and accept its EULA &Privacy Policy."  The only way to close this ad without installing it is by selecting an almost invisible "X" in the top right corner.  This "X" is deliberately hidden by making it only a slight shade off from the main background color.  IOBIT is disgusting.

So everybody here's the kicker. Go to any torrent site and download the crack.  All IOBIT programs are available without any malware.  I've been using it for years with no issue what-so-ever.  Most of the time when they come up with a new version my old crack works to register it.  When it doesn't I go to a torrent site and download the crack for the new version. It's always there.  I know they are official IOBIT programs because I always use the installers from the official IOBIT website.  Then I use the crack from the torrent site to register it.  Now you won't mind their ads since you're getting the registered version for free anyway.  I do wonder how good IOBIT is though when it can be so easily cracked.  If I had a company or something I would absolutely be looking elsewhere for my protection.  But I just have an everyday computer and it's good enough for me.  Like I said, never had a problem.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hi Kirkules& Cicely ,

I have been using and recommending the free versions of IObit software to family friends and clients for years as most of the products outshine the competition.  I was willing to put up with the ads because it was free and I reasoned that free software should be able to advertise to remain free.  I have been fighting for and defending IOBit on the MalwareBytes forum for the last few years because MalwareBytes quarantines each new update of Advanced SystemCare and forces me to have to whitelist it every time with the only other option of having to turn off Malwarebytes PUP detection.

Most of my family/friends & clients don't know how to whitelist so I have moved them from MalwareBytes (also a very good program but appears to have a vendetta against IOBit having lost a court case against them) and put them and myself on the paid version of Advanced SystemCare Ultimate (ASCU) and IOBit Malware Fighter (IMF).  My thoughts being that between the two ASCU with BitDefender and IMF designed for Malware protection, I'd have close to the same protection that Malware Bytes provided.  I did not think that we'd be bombarded by ads, most of which trick my family, friends and clients into installing.  I have been looking for ways to stop the ads and wound up in this forum.

A year or two ago, I thought only MalwareBytes considered ASC/ASCU as malware but now I have seen other AV software quarantine it and Virus total shows this.

image.png.07ed5af07ba3a33cdad6b90f1bee61e4.png

image.png.84d604676a551b6b5eaac530ab764b30.png

IOBit should listen to their users and allow an opt out in the paid versions or at lease on each new ad, allow a working "Don't show me this product any more" check box.

• Like 2

Hi KIRKULES and jmtcesnz.co.nz,

Sincerely thanks for your detailed suggsetions and precious time.😃

Well, IObit really want to help users boost their PCs and protect their devices. And we really want to share the the quality programs that users may need. Sorry to see that the ads( shares) bring you inconveniences. I will report your precious suggestions to our product team for consideration and we will keep on improving. Your feedabcks are valued. 

@KIRKULES, yes, I agreed with you that the close button should be clearer. 😃Our product team will take it into consideration. But it is not a good choice to install a cracked program.  Protecting Intellectual Property Rights is our common responsibility. Besides, it is not safe to install cracked programs as these programs may have potentially unsafe file. It  may open the back door to steal data, or invade the original program and cause damages to your programs and computers. 

@jmtcesnz.co.nz, thanks for your trust to IObit. As you mentioned Malwarebytes detected our programs as PUP (potentially unwanted programs) by Malwarebytes. However, PUP is a very controversial topic since it also makes legit programs as PUP. Please read the articles below including Enigma Software's lawsuit against Malwarebytes for the later’s anticompetitive practices and Enigma won this lawsuit.Actually, we are basically in the same situation as Enigma.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/malwarebytes-potentially-unwanted-program

https://www.enigmasoftware.com/legal/court-opinion-us-court-appeals-ninth-circuit-enigma-software-vs-malwarebytes-case-17-17351.pdf

We contacted MBAM to resolve this issue many times but the flag is still there.  Happy to hear that you choose us. 

For your suggestion - allow an opt out in the paid versions or at lease on each new ad, allow a working "Don't show me this product any more" check box.  It sounds well. 😃

I have wrote it into the report and our product team will take it into consideration. 

@all, wlecome your feedback and suggestions. IObit always listens to our users. All of you make IObit today. 😃

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is this Admin a bot? Same answer over an over, "I will report you're...". I will be not be renewing ANY of my subscription with you once they expire. I am sick of this BS you all have started with the pop ups and this iTop self installing every couple week. You service has become nothing more then a used car salesman or one of the POS that call on the phone wanting to sell me an extended warranty for my care...maybe you all should think about having your paying customers tic it if they want it rather then untick if they don't!

Hello sallamarca,

Sorry to hear that.

For the issue about installing iTop programs, we have reported uders' feedbacks to our product team and they have found out a better solution for this issue.  You will not be recommended repeatedly. If you have a btter sugegstion, please kindly share it with us. IObit always value users' feedbacks and we always make improvements accrding to their feedabcks.

Thanks for your understanding. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 8:49 AM, Cicely said:

Hello sallamarca,

Sorry to hear that.

For the issue about installing iTop programs, we have reported uders' feedbacks to our product team and they have found out a better solution for this issue.  You will not be recommended repeatedly. If you have a btter sugegstion, please kindly share it with us. IObit always value users' feedbacks and we always make improvements accrding to their feedabcks.

Thanks for your understanding. 

So it is Sept 1 and I am still receiving spam and BS pop up from IObit about their VPN and how unsecure I am, when I am running a VPN far superiors VPN to yours, and other shit about ITOP. Today I have sent an email to all my 1376 customers and informed them of this problem with your company and explained that as their subscriptions expire we will be migrating to another company. Because of a pathetic attempt to gain more customs have lost nearly 1400 hundreds, I hope you sorry ass product development team is terminated in mass. Also I have posted on my FB account this message to my over 2500 followers... if your wish too explain and continue the you can reach meat my email address that you have on record.

FireShot Capture 018 - Salvatore Robert LaMarca - Facebook - www.facebook.com.png

• Like 2

Hello sallamarca,

Sincerely sorry to hear that.

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN. Almost all IObit products are recommending this app, so if you have several IObit programs, you may get the popups more than one time.

If you do not want it, please just click "X" at the top right concern to refuse it.

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team again. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

Have a good time!

• 1 month later...

There is two options when you want people to install your software.

1. Opt in - Make the user choose to install your program

2. Opt out - Make the user stop the program from installing.

The better way is to have the user opt in. You don't get the complaints from people who did not want your software to install.

• Like 1

Each time i turn my computer on it shows one that tells there is a new version of one of the programs i have. It has a check box that i have to uncheck for another program. I have several months left on the subscription. Some companies don't bother people until they only have a month left on the subscription. If you keep this up you will drive people away from your company and your products.

Hello Redsfan,

Thanks for your feedback.

I will report your feedabck to our product team for condieration.

By the way, it is walys suggested to update to the latest version to enjoy new features and improvements.

Have a great day.

www.iobit.com/en/update/sm8/?name=sm8&ver=5.3.0.6&lan=&to=update

This is an example of the page that the people are sent too. It says in the settings that updates are applied automatically. It is one thing to ask people who don't have a subscription to pay for the new version. It is another for one who has time left on the subscription to pay again for the new version. Some companies will allow the user to use the new version until their time runs out. Then if they want to continue to use it they will have to buy it. It would then revert to a free version without a lot of the features that a paid version would have.

Finally got it to stop but i had to look at another post that you had answered that was doing the same thing as i was describing. If there is a new version of the software the update portion of the software should take care of it. I have others that automatically give you the new version when you update and will then revert back to a free version when the time of your subscription is up. This is the way you keep customers.

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 5:59 AM, Cicely said:

@OzTechGeek,tawari, and kstj :

Sincerely soffy for my late reply.

First, IObit will not install any programs with out your authorization. But you may get recommendation as you mentioned. Anyway, you can always decline the recommendation per your needs.

Perhaps, you treat these recommendations as ads. We are sorry for that. But we really just want to show users that they are other programs that you might be interested. And you can click Hide in action to hide the recommendations.

For the issue" Under the guise of keeping users informed about new products, IOBit spams every user continuously and relentlessly without any user option to decline", if you mean the newsletter, you can unsubscribe in the Email you got and then you will not get the notice.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will report all your feedbacks to our product team for consideration. We will try to make improvements.

Welcome more sugegstions.

Have a nice day.

This is a total lie. IOBit partnered with ITOP and they add 3 programs every time there is an upgrade. IOBit is not being honest and I highly recommend not using any longer. 

4 minutes ago, pissedoff said:

This is a total lie. IOBit partnered with ITOP and they add 3 programs every time there is an upgrade. IOBit is not being honest and I highly recommend not using any longer. 

Okay.......you have made your point with numerous posts in various areas of the forum.

Please do not post anymore on this subject. If you do I will have to delete them.

17 minutes ago, Scannan said:

Okay.......you have made your point with numerous posts in various areas of the forum.

Please do not post anymore on this subject. If you do I will have to delete them.

Oh I see. You dont feel I can respond to others that are having the same problem with the company not caring about their customers. I did post one thread and the rest were replying to other people with the same issue. So how come IOBit can post replies that are the same lines and that is great. They must just have stock replies and cut and past.