IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IObit and Norton - Compatibility Issues?

Guillotte_D

Hello all, I have always liked Norton on my computer at work, but do not have it at home, I use a combination of free programs. But today I was perusing the interwebs and discovered something to my horror. I am also a loyal(er) customer of IObit, a small software company that makes very helpful and free programs that are quite popular, a lot of you may know them. But back to the horror... upsers Here is a quote from the IObit forums, from someone I assume is an IObit employee.

• 2 weeks later...

been building computers for 20 years, I have run system care(not their virus/malware software) for many years along with Malwarebytes, once I listed it to ignore system care everything was fine, I use nortons for my virus work and all 3 work well together. The reason thai laptops are slow is becaue the stores tend to load a heap of pirate ware onto them and that is what the customers want, they do not want to pay for the registered software, even the windows they load is a pirate copy unless it was free with the laptop. My wife bought a new one for work and I had to delete a heap of crap programs that were slowing it down a hell of a lot, yes a ssd drive does speed things up but lacks the storage room in most cases unless you want to spend a lot more, depends really what you do on your pc as well as how often you use it. I do a lot of work on mine(2 hard drives), pics, writing etc and find everything works fine for me, drivers are updated and never had a problem with them, malware is restricted, dont have bugger all problems some are making out but then I do pay for all my software and dont use freebies or pirated stuff, think it boils down to what each person wants or likes, to each his own.

EDIT:

Spam Link deleted

• Like 1

We do not recommend running two security suites on any single computer at any one time, because the problem is worse than redundancy, the programs will conflict silently over the responsibility for performing operations. Neither will allow the scanning of itself by the other. Other users have reported incompatibilities. Optimization is basically, defragmentation. So one might be defragging one way, the other is defragging something else, and it doesn't go well.

• 4 months later...

Its not recommended to use more than one security product on a computer.

In case if you want to use Advanced SystemCare Pro along with Norton product, when you install the Norton product, you will get an option to skip the "Incompatible application detected" message. Then you can continue with the installation.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible and sometimes worthwhile to run multiple "security" (more generally, "anti-malware") programs on the same system, as long as they can be configured to not step on each other (especially duplicating each others' efforts).

An example taken from Real Life that works for me is:

1) Malware Fighter 8.1 Pro (anti-virus, anti-spyware, unwanted software protection)

2) Windows Firewall

3) NoScript 11.0.43

4) uBlock Origin 1.29.2

5) Privacy Badger v2020.8.25

6) Ghostery 8.5.2

7) uMatrix 1.4.0

There is some overlap, but note that I am not running any ad-blocking program, per se. I use NoScript and uBlock Origin together to block a lot of nastier and that just happens to get rid of most ads. uMatrix is a quick way to sort of check my settings and tweak them a bit. MWF and Windows Firewall are the front line security tools and they work together quite well. Ghostery and Privacy badger let me allow certain domains down to specific subdomains under certain conditions and also control whether are not they are blocked, blocked from tracking, or allowed to run unimpeded (at least by the two privacy programs).

This is definitely overkill, but it works fast enough that I do not notice much if any performance increase when I disable the last five items on the list.

Be well,

Mr Wizard