IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

This is kind of a problem for anyone that uses IOBit software.

Hello IOBit,

Before I begin, allow me to say that I have used IOBit Uninstaller for the past year. I have always thought that IOBit was a very trustworthy company from the time I started using their tools. That is why I was very disappointed to find out that the IOBit Update Utility was the reason that my computer was infected with Adware yesterday.

At the time, I thought that this was from something else, but a little research led me to these links:

A forum post on Malwarebytes about the adware.

The same user on Malwarebytes requesting help, later to discover that he could figure it out on his own.

This apparently is not the first time IOBit has pulled a trick such as this.

More stuff about IOBit.

Even more stuff about IOBit.

updatepackasc.exe Information

updatepackasc.exe VirusTotal Page

Who's that user that made those Malwarebytes forum posts? Oh yeah, that's me. As soon as I made those two posts, I received more shocking news via both the posts and a Private Message: IOBit apparently was stealing from Malwarebytes.

What's my point here? My point is: do not trust IOBit. In my list of links, I was going to include three to the Malwarebytes forum from when IOBit stole the Malwarebytes database, but I decided not to.

I believe that everyone should have a second chance, but IOBit is already on their fifth chance or so, and I think it is sad that with this crappy behavior is the reason I will be telling everyone I know that uses IOBit software (hint: it's a lot) to remove it immediately and encourage everyone that they know to remove it.

Now, if history repeats itself, this post won't be around on the forum for too long and I will be banned pretty soon. That is if history repeats itself and IOBit can't own up to their mistakes. If IOBit can take it like a man, apologize, and move on without deleting my post, then perhaps this post has gotten somewhere.

No spam

...Now, if history repeats itself, this post won't be around on the forum for too long and I will be banned pretty soon......

I don't know what "history" you are referring to but this forum allows respectful discussion of most topics and only deletes and bans ranters, abusive members and spammers

I deleted your other post because it was in an 18 month old thread and contained spam (link to software)

Spamming is a banning offence but I didn't ban you because you would probably claim I banned you because of this post.

You have been warned, spam again and you will be banned !!

Hi wozofoz

Quite!

I think his problem was brought about by not noticing the bloatware that is piggy-backed in the installation file.

It is irritating that it is pre-ticked!

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=16008

I urge everyone to pay attention to this prevalent practice during the install

Many companies use the same practice unfortunately.

Cheers

solbjerg

I don't know what "history" you are referring to but this forum allows respectful discussion of most topics and only deletes and bans ranters, abusive members and spammers

I deleted you other post because it was in an 18 month old thread and contained spam (link to software)

Spamming is a banning offence but I didn't ban you because you would probably claim I banned you because of this post.

You have been warned, spam again and you will be banned !!

I would agree that I picked up the bloatware by failing to unmark it, but I did not get it using the installer. The updater put it there by itself. I would not have known that it came from the updater if I had not read about it online the same day that I had the problem being to occur. Uninstalling IOBit software and removing all remaining source files stopped it from happening.

That is why I was very disappointed to find out that the IOBit Update Utility was the reason that my computer was infected with Adware yesterday.

Please don't flame me for posting this. Those "adwares" are basically common/normal for free application. We have the option on not to install it on the installation process.

That's why whenever I install some free stuff, I always make sure that I uncheck those adwares before pushing through the installation. I think all softwares have an option on not to include things. Some of them are just tricky but there is an option to exclude it. icon_smile.gif

Please don't flame me for posting this. Those "adwares" are basically common/normal for free application. We have the option on not to install it on the installation process.

That's why whenever I install some free stuff, I always make sure that I uncheck those adwares before pushing through the installation. I think all softwares have an option on not to include things. Some of them are just tricky but there is an option to exclude it. icon_smile.gif

I would immediately revoke all statements I made in this thread if someone would kindly point out to me where the option is to not include it. Since the only IOBit software that I used was IOBit Uninstaller, please show me the step in the uninstall process with a screenshot or something, and I will respectfully retract the statements I've made in this post. By the way, Malwarebytes now has this little adware program in its database.

Hi IHateBeingBetrayed,

Sorry for my late reply.

Before I tell you how to remove "Updatepack.exe" , let me explain the whole issue in details.

The popup with "Updatepack.exe" is from our partner Magic Barrage. As it bring some confusions to our users, we have asked our partner Magic Barrage to stop the popup. And it will not happen again.

Now to remove "Updatepack.exe", please press "Win+E"and then put "Updatepack.exe" to search where it is on your PC and remove it.

It is such a pity that you always post to get help on other forums instead of IObit forum, for all members and administrators here are warmhearted to help others. It is Ok that post your complaints here, for we are not perfect and we always listen to users's voices to make improvements.

If you have any other issue, please feel free to tell us.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.;-)

Also, there is a utility called "unchecky" that will run in the background and uncheck most "bloatwares".

As a note: Just because an app is ad supported, especially when offered for free, doesn't make it "adware". What "does" make a program adware is when it doesn't give you anything of value in exchange for the ad, or if the ad is so prominent that it is obvious THE Primary purpose is to deliver ads.

• 1 year later...

Hi, im new to this forum, Still finding my way around the site, thinking, The 2 backup discs that i received, What exactly are they for, is it in case something goes wrong and we need to re-load IOBIT again, . Im not quite sure , Why would we need back up disc,s when i would just down load again. I see i have a message, so i will post this and see what the message is.

Was just a reply to my comment about grimebusters, by grudertyne and 2 others, Can you tell me why it takes so long for grimebusters to do its job, because its taken 2+ hrs the last couple times i did grimebusters that i have stopped wanting to use the tool at all, I think you tried to tell me how to uninstall grimebusters, but when i followed the link, it was not going anywhere that seemed positive, Is there somewhere that explains grimebusters in more detail, Why it takes so long, questions like that, so i could get a better explanation . I know i said this before, but 2+hrs is ridiculous. WHY WHY WHY

Davey,

What is Grimebusters you keep referring too? I have done a search with several major search engines and find no reference to any cleaning software called Grimebusters. The closest reference is to Grimefighter which is an addon to the Avast anti-virus suite of programs. If you by chance are using Avast, you should be able to find information on how to disable it, either on their website or through their forums. As a side note, it appears Avast has had problems with Grimefighter and is presently revising the software.

A.T.

Archived