IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Cloned files scanner

numberoneclerk

Dont Go There

Last night I spent some time deleting ‘clone files’, foolishly thinking the unchecked one was the one to keep and the other could go I plodded on until I was fed up. On closing ASC I noticed that an icon had disappeared from the tools folder that I keep all utilities etc in. I left it off till this morning and when I booted up the Paragon boot screen was wrong. I ran a system restore but I am not convinced that all is well. I will reinstall Paragon which will probably create more duplicate files.:-(

Hi numberoneclerk

I will refer you to

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=11740

And to Usage of IObit Products thread - link in my signature.

(It is quite easy to delete all clones - BUT it will probably have some consequences that you probably could do without - if not so - I would think that just formatting the disc and reinstalling the OS and all your programs and settings would be easier) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Is there any way to delete all the cloned files at once because deleting each one manually takes forever ?

Hi 1 braincell

As I wrote many places the Cloned files finder is just that a Finder of cloned/duplicate files.

What you want to delete, the program can't be responsible for - it is your own responsibility.

By the way what money back? - it is a free program unless you have the pro version and it doesn't say so in your Computer Details.

Cheers

solbjerg

There you go numberoneclerk, right from the horse’s mouth, it sucks. The probs I have had since trying it are many. I will not be renewing my licence. In fact I want my money back.

If you want to remove cloned files safely, then use:

Duplicate Cleaner 2.1 (Google it)

It will replace all but 1 copy of the file with Hard Links.

So where ever your file Was, will now have a link

to the file itself. Thus ending up with 1 file each

and backlinks to it from ever where it used to be!

Jim Furr ><>

Mods: I love my Advanced System Care Pro, but this

"other" product will serve everyone better - IMHO

You might want to take a look at this software

and get a few ideas from it :)

This operation is one of the worst you could choose to use.

If you do be very carefull

if the google dup cleaner does what is says EXCELLENT

Roy

It is called "Duplicate Cleaner 2.1"

I don't like the one in Advanced System Care because of that very reason -

way too tedious and could end up with problems if you don't know

what you are doing.

However, Duplicate Cleaner puts hard links in place of the old file so

there is always a recourse if moving it/deleting it proved problematic.

Thanks for the warning though, I always like to have

other opinions when doing this sort of thing.

Oh, I already ran this software about a week ago

and I have not had any problems so far.

Jim Furr ><>

EDIT:>Link deleted< No ad links please, it is a banning offence.

That's why the the links are not possible in the signatures for the Users of IObit Forum.

Thank you.

Hi jmfurr

I read some reviews on the program and they call it a very good program - BUT as always they also say that you should be extremely careful and check especially some of the items before deletion.

There are some files that have to be in two places or more for the computer to work. It does have some options not available in IObit Clone Finder - for example the mentioned "Hard Links" - but they still say it is not for novices.

But you can try it for yourself.

For my own part I am sufficiently content with just finding the duplicates/clones :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

It is called "Duplicate Cleaner 2.1"

I don't like the one in Advanced System Care because of that very reason -

way too tedious and could end up with problems if you don't know

what you are doing.

However, Duplicate Cleaner puts hard links in place of the old file so

there is always a recourse if moving it/deleting it proved problematic.

Thanks for the warning though, I always like to have

other opinions when doing this sort of thing.

Oh, I already ran this software about a week ago

and I have not had any problems so far.

Jim Furr ><>

EDIT:>Link deleted< No ad links please, it is a banning offence.

That's why the the links are not possible in the signatures for the Users of IObit Forum.

Thank you.

Duplicate Cleaner 2.1 ditto

If you want to remove cloned files safely, then use:

Duplicate Cleaner 2.1 (Google it)

It will replace all but 1 copy of the file with Hard Links.

So where ever your file Was, will now have a link

to the file itself. Thus ending up with 1 file each

and backlinks to it from ever where it used to be!

Jim Furr ><>

Mods: I love my Advanced System Care Pro, but this

"other" product will serve everyone better - IMHO

You might want to take a look at this software

and get a few ideas from it :)

I also use D.C 2.1 Jim and so far real good!

• 3 weeks later...

cloned files scanner

hello in here :)

one question... is it safe to delete all cloned files in, cloned file scanner? wav - mid - m3u - ace - exe and so on. or it may harm my computer to delete everything it finds?

I'm sorry if I write in the wrong room - its my first post :)

Hi thomsen

The short answer is - no it is not safe to delete everything the cloned/duplicate finder finds (far from it).

In severe cases it may make your computer inoperable.

Please write clone or duplicate in the forum seach box and read all posts to gain an understanding of how it should be used.

You can also read about it in Usage of IObit Products thread (link in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

hello in here :)

one question... is it safe to delete all cloned files in, cloned file scanner? wav - mid - m3u - ace - exe and so on. or it may harm my computer to delete everything it finds?

I'm sorry if I write in the wrong room - its my first post :)

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem, have 9,300 cloned files, my PC is backed up to a EHD by Rebit 5 and if I was to start from scratch and restore the HD from Rebit will more then likely restore the duplicates, what a mess.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Checked File Deleted

Last night I spent some time deleting ‘clone files’, foolishly thinking the unchecked one was the one to keep and the other could go I plodded on until I was fed up. On closing ASC I noticed that an icon had disappeared from the tools folder that I keep all utilities etc in. I left it off till this morning and when I booted up the Paragon boot screen was wrong. I ran a system restore but I am not convinced that all is well. I will reinstall Paragon which will probably create more duplicate files.:-(

I did a number of tests, selecting only one file and watching the directory listing for each. Delete erased the ticked file in every case.

In one case, where all files were obsolete, I ticked all copies, and all were erased.

Hi Brian

I would have preferred the name Cloned files Finder - because that is what it is.

Of course it scans the computer in order to find the files in question, so I understand why they call it Scanner, but never the less I feel that finder sends a better message. :-)

It is located in the Toolbox and should not be seen as a cleaner, but as a Tool to find duplicate/cloned files.

In my opinion it's function is to find the cloned files in order for you to easily check if you have them in a location too where you do not need them anymore.

If you didn't have the finder you would have to search for clones by searching every extension if you did not remember what name the file had that you suspect is located in more places than are necessary - this would take a very long time and you might miss some of them anyway :-)

This the program (or any program) cannot decide for you hence the advice to check every item before deleting any.

Paying attention to the settings of the program and choosing the extensions the program should look for is also a good practise.

For example the thumb files - they are not usually large files and they will be created again when you use that program they come from, unless of course you have chosen in the computer not to have thumbs generated.

(possibly also recreated during a chkdsk)

Cheers

solbjerg

I did a number of tests, selecting only one file and watching the directory listing for each. Delete erased the ticked file in every case.

In one case, where all files were obsolete, I ticked all copies, and all were erased.

If your Cloned File scanners shows a lot of files and it looks like a daunting task to go through them all, you can make it a bit easier by clicking on the relative column header and organising them by either File size or File Quantity. Then you can decide which ones you need to get rid of.

• 4 months later...

Hi

In addition to Scannan I recommend reading all the posts written about cloned or duplicate files fx.

to get an idea about how the program works. It is a cloned files FINDER!

I have attached a guide to the use of the program (zipped)

Cheers

solbjerg

If your Cloned File scanners shows a lot of files and it looks like a daunting task to go through them all, you can make it a bit easier by clicking on the relative column header and organising them by either File size or File Quantity. Then you can decide which ones you need to get rid of.

• 4 months later...

Clones

Hi numberoneclerk

I will refer you to

And to Usage of IObit Products thread - link in my signature.

(It is quite easy to delete all clones - BUT it will probably have some consequences that you probably could do without - if not so - I would think that just formatting the disc and reinstalling the OS and all your programs and settings would be easier) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

So how do you determine which files to delete and which to save?

Scott

The majority of cloned files tend to be either document files (.doc/.txt etc..) or picture files (.jpeg/.png etc..). It is therefore only necessary to look at the filepath and decide if you require the file in more than one place. It is highly unlikely that most files are required in more than one location. You should give extra care to .exe files and.dll files and investigate whether they are required in more than one location.

You can do this by both checking the filepath and googling the filename.

• 1 month later...

Use the file filter & SAFE MODE to avoid deleting important files

I've read all the reviews on this function in ASC, and let me join the group that hates this particular function, although I do love the software as a whole. This function needs to be done away with completely or revised to be "smarter".

But in the meantime, a simple and effective way to avoid deleting important files is to use the function in <SAFE MODE> so as to avoid important system folders. Secondly, use the filter funtion to filter out file types that fall within those parameters that you would want to avoid.

The tool is obviously built for removing duplicate pictures, movies, books, documents, and other personal files. This is NOT a tool to use to do a GENERAL duplicate file search. That would be quite foolish.

Archived