IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Passwords are not encrypted!

This little program is great. I just find it inconvenient that the passwords stored in the database are not encrypted. If you go into the program's directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Random Password Generator) you can open the PWDATABASE.DB file with NotePad and view all of the information stored. Hopefully in the next build they will give the option to encrypt this file so that the main password is effective. Right now it's only good for generating passwords.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mr. keller

If you are afraid that you have a sniffer present in your computer, I would suggest that you utilize an encrypted password of your own choosing - provided you are sure that you don't have a keystroke snooper installed.

Just utilize your own name or something equally easy to remember and encrypt it with another easily remembered encryption word/sentence fx. Genesis 1:3 or The Times page 3, line 2, first three words - from some date or the opening paragraph in your favorite novel.

And let these encrypted passwords be shown in your password folder.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. this is my handle here encrypted with a few words from my favorite childhood novel

?G¸t5é#- which even has a spelling mistake due to a worn type in my version of the book :-)

This is encrypted with my own encryption - developed by my brother and which can be used like a "one time pad"

p.p.s. what I mean is that to be as secure as possible one has to do something oneself.

This little program is great. I just find it inconvenient that the passwords stored in the database are not encrypted. If you go into the program's directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Random Password Generator) you can open the PWDATABASE.DB file with NotePad and view all of the information stored. Hopefully in the next build they will give the option to encrypt this file so that the main password is effective. Right now it's only good for generating passwords.

• 1 year later...

Hi ragous,

Good idea, infact instead of locking, hiding by Protected Folder can be used for that purpose for more security if needed, as locking may prevent Random Password Generator to open. EDIT: Does not work for this specific file.

BTW, PWDATABASE.DB file is already encrypted in version 1.2

EDIT: Correction: All the information can be seen

You can not see the passwords when you open the db file with a text editor.

EDIT: Correction: All the information can be seen

Cheers.

Sorry ragous you are right, my bad, didn't try since it has been open source program. I will edit my previous post.

Also, Protected Folder trick doesn't work for this specific file for system stability reasons. (I doubt it would cause any stability issue though.)

Cheers.

KeePass

You might want to have a look at KeePass.

KeePass is free software that can store all your passwords and then you just have to remember one master password (make it strong) to open KeePass.

• When you are entering a new item in KeePass it will automatically suggest a strong password but you can change that if you want.

• You can also add a URL address that can be launched from KeePass and also add a note to the item.

• Double click on the password and it will be copied to the clipboard for 10 seconds giving you enough time to paste it into the password field, then it is deleted from the clipboard.

Note: If you use a clipboard manager like Ditto the password will probably not be deleted from it's database, you should do this manually.

But the method I use is: I adjusted the KeePass window size so that it sits near the bottom of the screen and have KeePass set to Always on Top so I can read the password and type it.

• I use Classic Edition - Portable KeePass (ZIP Package)

You can install the portable version to a folder on your computer, create a shortcut and use it like any other software on your computer.

You can also copy that KeePass folder to a flashdrive and use it on another computer plus you then have a backup copy of the KeePass folder in case of a bad computer crash

All the best, woz of oz

OK guys,

If you want to use IObit's Random Password Generator in a more secure way (I know it is a bit longer way.8-)) using Encoding Decoding Free 3.08 software you can encrypt (by right click menu encryp/decrypt) the PWDATABASE.DB file and decrypt when you want to use it again.

(FYI, the translation to Turkish of the program and help files are done by me.)

IMHO, IObit should include a similar software in it's toolbox.

Cheers.

Archived