IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Are you hooking the win key on the keyboard?

Flute

I have Start Menu 8 v1.3.0 on Windows 8 x64. Thank you for releasing this product for free it has been very helpful so far. I have noticed two problems which may or may not be related to your product. I will post the second one later but here is the first.

Sometimes when I lock my computer I notice that when I log back in and start typing Windows thinks the Start Menu key is down. So when I type 'e' for example it will open up the Computer window with all the drives. I can depress the key and then everything seems to work fine. It's gotten a little bit annoying. This is a brand new keyboard and I've only had this problem since right after I installed Start Menu 8. I wonder if maybe you are hooking the start key and your hook function does something that intercepts the keyup message so Windows thinks the key is still down but it isn't. I am a programmer and I have seen that happen in other programs.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Thanks

I have also had the same problem. It was with a new keyboard that I recently got and when I updated the start menu 8 shortly afterwards. That is when I started having problems with the keyboard acting like shortcuts of some type. Shutdown the computer fixed the problem. (so far).

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

To help us look into and solve the issue,please follow the steps below to help us test it.

1. Download WinKeyTest v1.5.zip from https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mypyd2ddbqlzkm/WinKeyTest%20v1.5.zip and click the Download button on that page.

2. Unzip WinKeyTest.zip to get the folder WinKeyTest v1.5, open this folder, double click WinKeyTest v1.5.exe to run it. Then follow the tips you see to test it. Let us whether this demo can help you solve the issue.

Looking forward to your reply.

So far, going back to an earlier release did not work. It still had the same problem that the win key was turned on. (This time it came from when the computer when iinto screen save mode, and monitor had turned off). Restarting computer at that time fixed it. Please note: Intel motherboard with 2.4 dual core processor (2.4 g).

Now I have upgraded the computer win 8 system to 8.1 (free upgrade) I didn't like the start button that it provided, and now testing it with the new release from iobit (recent V1.3.0). If it acts up, I'll put on the WinKeyTest v1.5 on for further testing.

Thx

Hi ls3c6, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

It seems that the glitch was because of Start Menu version 1.3.

I had the same problem and installing version 1.4 from the link Cicely has supplied in post #11 has solved the issue.

Cheers.

A NOTE to Cicely: Please use the most recent supplied language files when you release version 1.4

The language files in the above mentioned setup file are older than version 1.3

Drive bit the dust.

Everything worked fine with the new 8.1 upgrade with the newest start menu. Then my hard drive bit the dust so now I'm waiting to buy a new hard drive. Old drive was a 250 gb ide type, and I was slowly getting all of my old hd's upgraded to the new sata type and this computer was one of the last ones that I hadn't upgraded. So it'll be a while before I'll buy the new HD.

Stay tuned

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

To help us look into and solve the issue,please follow the steps below to help us test it.

1. Download WinKeyTest v1.5.zip from https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mypyd2ddbqlzkm/WinKeyTest%20v1.5.zip and click the Download button on that page.

2. Unzip WinKeyTest.zip to get the folder WinKeyTest v1.5, open this folder, double click WinKeyTest v1.5.exe to run it. Then follow the tips you see to test it. Let us whether this demo can help you solve the issue.

Looking forward to your reply.

I also sometimes have this problem. if I press the E key the the Explorer appears, if I press W the settings menu appears. I log off and log on again and the problem goes away. Wierd.

Tried your tool when I dod not have the problem ,and as soon as I start your tool the startmenu button disappears.

Archived