IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Ad in StartMenu?

dwjngs

Hi dwjngs,

Welcome to the forum. :-)

It is the game promotion by IObit.

The game is not installed in your computer. It is just a quick link. Clicking it will lead you to our partner's page where you can play the game if you like. If not, just close the page.

Thanks for your understanding and supporting to IObit.

Hi Cicely,

I do agree with the OP! :-x

Please make sure that IObit programmers are aware that this type of behavior will put Start Menu 8 in PUP category.

It will be really pity to spoil a great program such as Start Menu 8.

I don't think PC/Windows platform is like Mobile/Android/iOS platform

Cheers.

Thanks for the quick response, Cicely. I must say, however, that if this is going to be a regular occurrence I will definitely be removing StartMenu 8. I would happily pay for a premium version with no ads - your product is very good. Unannounced ads like this, however, are very unwelcome.

I strongly agree. After seeing this I felt like my Start Menu was hijacked. Please add a setting to opt-out of these ads.

Thanks for the quick response, Cicely. I must say, however, that if this is going to be a regular occurrence I will definitely be removing StartMenu 8. I would happily pay for a premium version with no ads - your product is very good. Unannounced ads like this, however, are very unwelcome.

Hi templateblackbird,

Welcome to IObit Forum!:-)

Sorry for making you confused. We'll consider your suggestion carefully to add a setting to opt-out the game promotion or remove it directly in the future.

Have a nice time.|;-)

The issue appears to not only be games but other IOBit products including the uninstaller and antimalware that have just "appeared" on my start menu. I have no issue with receiving emails bringing attention to your new products or offers but this method of delivery is disturbing. Thanks at least for the unpin comment. Hopefully once its unpinned it never comes back.

Like the other users here, I agree it is a good and useful product for which I would gladly pay for a "premium" version if it doesn't come with annoying characteristics. There is also a limit to how much annoyance I will put up with before uninstalling the product and labeling it malware.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a temporary workaround for users looking to prevent these ads. Feel free to use this method until IOBit have a chance to add a setting to turn them off.

Run the following commands in cmd.exe

del /Q "%appdata%\..\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8\LatestNews\*.*"
mkdir %appdata%\..\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8\LatestNews"
icacls "%appdata%\..\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8\LatestNews" /deny "Users":W

This deletes any existing ads, creates the LatestNews folder if it doesn't exist, and prevents users (including StartMenu8) from writing to the folder.

• 1 year later...
Here is a temporary workaround for users looking to prevent these ads. Feel free to use this method until IOBit have a chance to add a setting to turn them off.

Run the following commands in cmd.exe

del /Q "%appdata%\..\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8\LatestNews\*.*"
mkdir %appdata%\..\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8\LatestNews"
icacls "%appdata%\..\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8\LatestNews" /deny "Users":W

This deletes any existing ads, creates the LatestNews folder if it doesn't exist, and prevents users (including StartMenu8) from writing to the folder.

Thank you!

Archived