IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Are "Ad by Netutils" and "FakrouN" hazardous programs?

jimwg

Greetings!

I have Ultimate 10 Pro and Malware Fighter 5 Pro installed. I stumbled into downloading site that without warning began shoving programs like System Healer, Spouty, PubHotspot and SpeedDownloader into my system, flashing all kinds of screens like "Beware your PC is infected" and "Don't Log Out" before I hit the off-button to cut off the down stream.

I rebooted, used IObit Uninstall Pro to dump the new bogus apps then started Ultimate 10 then Malware fighter to flush out any residuals. My man fear was randsomeware but I seem in the clear for that, however in MalWare Fighter's item name screen a "Ad by Netutils" (from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/NetUtils2016) keeps reappearing even after multiple runs of MF, and in Ultimate 10's Performance Monitor CPU listing a program named "FakrouN" keeps reappearing, often multiple times in the same high CPU usage listing eating as much as 40% or more CPU. (Also I get much smaller CPU readings from persistent programs named "proxycheck" and "Anonymizer Gadget")

I don't know whether these are harmless apps or not, but "FakrouN" eating that many CPU cycles can't be good! I'll be more careful about downing sites now, but do you have any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Jim in NYC

Hi jinwg,

Thanks for your reply.

What are the downloading sites that you mentioned? What are you downloading when you met the issue?

Please describe the situation more clearly with related screenshots.

Guide for taking screen shots can be found on: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Archived