IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

[4.Bi-Weekly]Comparison between IS360, AVG, Avira, Avast and ASP

Hi,

I had the new test with a set of Anti-Malwares. I retained the earlier anti-malware: IOBit Security 360 and Advanced System Protector, while added the new:

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Ad-Aware Free

I used the same test virtual machine of Windows XP SP3 having some essential software installed. The same malware samples were present on the C: drive at C:\Samples.

The changes that I made in this test are:

1. I removed cookies, before installing each anti-malware and

2. In the Memory and CPU usage section, earlier I tested the resource consumption during update but in this report its averaged to both installation and update.

The new report can be found at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ozqan3dkjyx/New_Anti-Malware_Test.pdf

Cheers

Sanjeev M

===================================================================================================

===================================================================================================

http://forums.iobit.com/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 10-23-2009, 07:59 AM

sansurface http://forums.iobit.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://forums.iobit.com/images/ranks/SilverIObitFan.gif

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://forums.iobit.com/images/icons/icon2.gif [4.Bi-Weekly]Comparison between IOBit 360, AVG, Avira, Avast and Advanced System Protector

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,

I have compared Anti-Malwares: IObit Security 360, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, Avira AntiVir Personal - Free, Avast! Antivirus Home Edition and Advanced System Protector.

For this I made a fresh virtual machine of Windows XP SP3 and installed some essential software. Then copied malware samples on the C: drive at C:\Samples

I checked the aspects which I thought should be essential.

The test report can be found at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wmzkmcd1w5m/Compare_Anti-Malware.pdf

Nice reports

The standard of reports is much higher during past few weeks and this report is no exception.

Its strange to see Advanced system protector is again a winner :roll:.

Is ASP really that good? Its sad to see iobit 360 has low detection rates as per this report.

Well congratulations for a nice report to the report owner even I am trying to post test results but this is really time consuming job.

Hi chandan

You have to bear in mind that IS360 IS NOT an anti-virus program, so the comparison in question is not quite fair.

If you use the data sheets and keep the viruses out of the equations you will come up with a different comparison.

Should have been done for fairness sake and to give a comprehensive and fair report - this report would then have had the additional possibility to view anti-virus programs too.

One possibility would be to let the anti-virus programs clean the found items away and then letting IS360 find what the anti-virus programs did not find.

Cheers

solbjerg

The standard of reports is much higher during past few weeks and this report is no exception.

Its strange to see Advanced system protector is again a winner :roll:.

Is ASP really that good? Its sad to see iobit 360 has low detection rates as per this report.

Well congratulations for a nice report to the report owner even I am trying to post test results but this is really time consuming job.

Hi Solbjerg,

Yes you have a point here I will definitely like to see more antispyware in the comparsion report rather than antivirus. IObit 360 has a decent detection when I tested under my samples. Well, I will try to finish the tests and post my report ASAP.

Cheers!

Hi chandan

Actually, if we administrators should have adhered 100% to the requirements for the tests, we would have had to discount several tests.

But as there is some overlap between anti-virus programs and anti-malware and anti-spyware, we have let it slide and leave it up to the evaluation committee to sort through the contesters.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg,

Yes you have a point here I will definitely like to see more antispyware in the comparsion report rather than antivirus. IObit 360 has a decent detection when I tested under my samples. Well, I will try to finish the tests and post my report ASAP.

Cheers!

Hi solbjerg,

I have compared programs bearing in mind freewares. I have nothing against IOBit 360. The work is real authentic. To be more accurate i'll update my report with the other free anti-malwares rather than anti-viruses. Alos, in my report the so-called product Advanced System Protector has most of the detections compared to other anti-viruses and that is an anti-spyware and not anti-virus.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi chandan

You have to bear in mind that IS360 IS NOT an anti-virus program, so the comparison in question is not quite fair.

If you use the data sheets and keep the viruses out of the equations you will come up with a different comparison.

Should have been done for fairness sake and to give a comprehensive and fair report - this report would then have had the additional possibility to view anti-virus programs too.

One possibility would be to let the anti-virus programs clean the found items away and then letting IS360 find what the anti-virus programs did not find.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi chandan

Actually, if we administrators should have adhered 100% to the requirements for the tests, we would have had to discount several tests.

But as there is some overlap between anti-virus programs and anti-malware and anti-spyware, we have let it slide and leave it up to the evaluation committee to sort through the contesters.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi sansurface

Fine report you had, but I was trying to explain the result to another member.

I can only refer to:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=3972

Why the ASP scores so high I do not know and haven't checked, but they must have a list of viruses too that they utilize I guess.

This is fine, and could be an idea for IObit to incorporate, but it still would not remove the need for a proper anti-virus program.

You have studied all these programs and perhaps you can shed some light on what is responsible for the differences?

I would appreciate it.

Bear in mind that I am a user - not employed by IObit.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I have compared programs bearing in mind freewares. I have nothing against IOBit 360. The work is real authentic. To be more accurate i'll update my report with the other free anti-malwares rather than anti-viruses. Alos, in my report the so-called product Advanced System Protector has most of the detections compared to other anti-viruses and that is an anti-spyware and not anti-virus.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi solbjerg

Well in my list of samples I didn’t had any virus but we find high detection rates even by anti-virus programs.

You are right to say that the need for both variety of security is essential but with improved engines of security programs and clubbing all in a security suite we find the difference is narrowed down.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi sansurface

Have you tried to clean the infections by the anti-virus programs, - and then run IS360 and/or ASP on the leftovers?

Would be interesting to see that result.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

Well in my list of samples I didn’t had any virus but we find high detection rates even by anti-virus programs.

You are right to say that the need for both variety of security is essential but with improved engines of security programs and clubbing all in a security suite we find the difference is narrowed down.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi solbjerg

Haven't done that but can surely give it a try

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi sansurface

Have you tried to clean the infections by the anti-virus programs, - and then run IS360 and/or ASP on the leftovers?

Would be interesting to see that result.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

Tried by cleaning the detection by all the anti-virus tools, one-by-one on the leftover samples by each.

Out of 5799 samples only 75 remained undetected, in which none was detected by IOBit 360 while ASP detected 69.

I have attached the scan results. The IOBit 360 shows 5 infections while they are registry and cookies not among the samples

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi sansurface

Thank you. Does say something!!

I suggest that the reason for the result should be looked into by IObit!!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. You noticed that you were moved into the 4. bi-weekly?

Perhaps you should copy and edit you contender post and place it in a new thread. We will then delete this one.

Hi solbjerg

Tried by cleaning the detection by all the anti-virus tools, one-by-one on the leftover samples by each.

Out of 5799 samples only 75 remained undetected, in which none was detected by IOBit 360 while ASP detected 69.

I have attached the scan results. The IOBit 360 shows 5 infections while they are registry and cookies not among the samples

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Nice Comparison

I am a normal user and much interested to post a report and win the $25K :)

The standards are quiet raised now and the debate is on.

The detailed comparison here points IObit quite good in all the comparisons except for the one that is "Most Important For An AntiSpyware" "Detection Rate".Advanced System Protector is much impressive in the "Detection Rate" in comparison to others.... though Avira and Avast are also okay but IObit is no where near....strange. This report is making me curios to try and test "Advanced System Protector". I'll definitely be posting

a report very soon.

[4.Bi-Weekly]Comparison between IS360, AVG, Avira, Avast and ASP

Hi,

I compared the products:

IObit Security 360

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free

Avast! Antivirus Home Edition

Advanced System Protector

I made a fresh virtual machine of Windows XP SP3 and installed some essential software. Then copied malware samples on the C: drive at C:\Samples

The aspects I covered are those which I thought should be essential.

The test report can be found at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wmzkmcd1w5m/Compare_Anti-Malware.pdf

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi sansurface

On the strenght of your test I decided to try Advanced System Protector (ASP)

It found what it called 6 malware - some of the "infections" in several locations (in all 87)

Ok, I let it clean these "infections" - afterward I discovered that my Danish "Politiken" word book didn't work anymore, so I had to uninstall it and then install it again. Now I am a little apprehensive - I may discover other useful applications that doesn't work anymore.

So it looks like it finds several false positives by it's heuristic scanning - probably.

Consequently my advice is to be very careful and check if all socalled "infections" really are infections.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

hmm!

I had my test on a fresh virtual machine wherein I had installed only a few software and copied malware samples to a specific location. So I didn’t come across any such issues.

As of now I am working on a new report, comparing only the anti-malwares to judge their efficiency.

While the false positives are concerned, if we don’t have any that’s extremely good, but security tools do sometimes have false positives (though it should always be lower). A manual check before cleaning is necessary - i think.

I have come around instances where other security tools also showed false positives.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi sansurface

On the strenght of your test I decided to try Advanced System Protector (ASP)

It found what it called 6 malware - some of the "infections" in several locations (in all 87)

Ok, I let it clean these "infections" - afterward I discovered that my Danish "Politiken" word book didn't work anymore, so I had to uninstall it and then install it again. Now I am a little apprehensive - I may discover other useful applications that doesn't work anymore.

So it looks like it finds several false positives by it's heuristic scanning - probably.

Consequently my advice is to be very careful and check if all socalled "infections" really are infections.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi sansurface

Yes they all have false positives from time to time, a consequence of primarily the heuristic scanning I think.

I would be interesting to see a comparison on which applications have the most false positives I think.

I haven't yet found any other application by me that doesn't work after the ASP cleaning.

68 of the original 87 "infected" locations are back though after the re-install of "Politiken" word book.

There may be something in the found infected location findings that work differently in the different applications - was my thought too.

Looking forward to you update. Think we will keep this thread as a place to discuss your findings . or what do you think?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

hmm!

I had my test on a fresh virtual machine wherein I had installed only a few software and copied malware samples to a specific location. So I didn’t come across any such issues.

As of now I am working on a new report, comparing only the anti-malwares to judge their efficiency.

While the false positives are concerned, if we don’t have any that’s extremely good, but security tools do sometimes have false positives (though it should always be lower). A manual check before cleaning is necessary - i think.

I have come around instances where other security tools also showed false positives.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi solbjerg

Sure, we can maintain this thread for update of my new findings.

From your scan, it looks as if detection by ASP on your system was on file locations too apart from its heuristic mode.

Obviously we have security tools detecting higher than other but if we find any report on false positive that would really help people, atleast they can keep their computers stable.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Hi sansurface

Yes they all have false positives from time to time, a consequence of primarily the heuristic scanning I think.

I would be interesting to see a comparison on which applications have the most false positives I think.

I haven't yet found any other application by me that doesn't work.

68 of the original 87 "infected" locations are back though after the re-install of "Politiken" word book.

There may be something in the found infected location findings that work differently in the different applications - was my thought too.

Looking forward to you update. Think we will keep this thread as a place to discuss your findings . or what do you think?

Cheers

solbjerg

Weii sansurface

It was a default scan.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg

Sure, we can maintain this thread for update of my new findings.

From your scan, it looks as if detection by ASP on your system was on file locations too apart from its heuristic mode.

Obviously we have security tools detecting higher than other but if we find any report on false positive that would really help people, atleast they can keep their computers stable.

Cheers

Sanjeev M

Archived