IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How to review and undo Registry change alert decisions

llemer

My free Malware Fighter pops up often to alert me that programs or whatever are making changes to my registry. I'm not a good judge of what should be stopped and what decisions should be remembered. The first time I used the software I unknowing stopped some important software. That time I deleted the whole program in disgust. At the moment my DriverMax isn't acting right and I fear I might have blocked something with your software, so I'd like to review my recent actions and undo any mistakes. Also, is there a way to turn it off, since it tends to do more harm than good in my inexperienced hands? I can't find a way to see and undo my decisions. Is there a way?

Hi llemer, welcome to the IObit Forum! :grin:

Please open remember.ini file in the folder shown below with a text editor and see the contents. You can attach the screenshot if you want to have view of a user here.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter

You have to have your hidden files/folders shown in the Folder options to see the above folder/file.

I am not sure of the FREE version, but in PRO you can adjust the level of protection and turn DOG on or off.

You can also change the behaviour of the tips in IMF from:

More => Settings => Tips

Cheers.

Cheers.

My free Malware Fighter pops up often to alert me that programs or whatever are making changes to my registry. I'm not a good judge of what should be stopped and what decisions should be remembered. The first time I used the software I unknowing stopped some important software. That time I deleted the whole program in disgust. At the moment my DriverMax isn't acting right and I fear I might have blocked something with your software, so I'd like to review my recent actions and undo any mistakes. Also, is there a way to turn it off, since it tends to do more harm than good in my inexperienced hands? I can't find a way to see and undo my decisions. Is there a way?

I used free Driver Max for a while. It was helpful until.....

I know this post doesn't answer your question which enoskype did, however I just want to throw my two cents in about drivers.

1. As a general rule of thumb I do not update drivers on systems over a year old unless the driver update is part of a Microsoft Windows update. The year is an arbitrary rough time.

2. If you keep all your apps up to date the updated apps should install the latest driver for those apps.

3. If you install new software it should come with the latest relevant drivers for that software.

I have had my systems blown out too often for my liking by using driver update software on systems over a year old or so. Just my experience.

If you do use a product like Driver Max you have to make sure

1. The Driver is digitally signed

2. The Driver is a of a higher number and later date than the one you want to replace it with.

3. The Driver number of the new driver makes sense compared to the number of your current driver.

4. That you search the Net for that driver number and go to the website of the software whose driver you are going to update. Sometimes the numbers and digitbal signatures look good and the driver update found by Driver Max is indeed the latest valid driver for that software. However, that particular dirver could be buggy. Driver Max has no way of knowing that. Buggy drivers are still released quite frequently.

Best rule of thumb here is. If you ain't a computer geek and it ain't broke leave it alone.

Good advice Buddahfan!

Being a user of DriverMax a while ago, I would like to also add 2 more things.

- It may be OK to use driver updater softwares only for a problematic or unknown driver and not for all the drivers they find.

- The other thing to be careful is the CPU usage after an update of a driver from those softwares.

If you update number of drivers at a time you will never know which causes the high CPU usage without uninstalling each one by one, specially system drivers.

Cheers.

This week I had a catastrophic crash while rebooting after a DriverMax double driver installation. I lost almost everything. Dell automatically reformatted my harddrive and "saved" my valuable files. Just like one other time, the stuff saved was abitrary, incomplete and generally worthless. The process of returning the data was limited by file corruptions that aborted the process. I was gradually, at two per day on the free version, returning the lost drivers, fearful that if one caused my crash it would do it again. I've also noticed that some drivers are updated every two weeks. I'm doubtful that useful improvements are included on each minor update.

I would have thought that the need for driver updates increased as pcs got older and more obsolete. Anyway, DriverMax stopped downloading the drivers I had lined up and that was why I suspected Malware Fighter.

The Emergency File Dell made might still contain something salvageable but I don't know how to find out. Meanwhile I can't reinstall Bookworm or Bejewelled 3 because they require all traces of old software removed and the emergency file contains some.

My Advanced System Care 6 Pro has a new driver tool that is much more modest and conservative. It says I already have everything I need. I think I'll stick to it from now on.

Ignore: [version]

version=1.0

------------------------

config:

[setting]

ConfigType=61

ConfigLevel=1

RealTime=0

DOG=1

AutoScan=0

AutoUpdate=0

MinimizeToTray=1

AutoRun=1

Transparency=255

ScanOnlyExcutable=1

QuarantineRemove=1

ScanPriorityEnable=0

ScanPriority=1

ScanSkipSizeEnable=0

ScanSkipSize=10

ScanCompressFile=1

TipMinimize=0

TipUpdateComplete=0

TipScanComplete=0

TipProtectFlash=0

ProxyEnable=0

ProxyHost=

ProxyPort=8080

ProxyUserName=

ProxyPW=

Language=English

AutoScanMethod=smartscan

TipCookieProtectComplete=0

TipShowTime=5

[data]

ShowLatestNews=1

ShowLatestNewsVersion=v1.6

LastCheckTime=11/07/2012 07:26:27

LastCheckProblem=0

LastScanTime=11/05/2012 17:00:30

LastCookieScan=11/08/2012 15:03:00

LastUpdateTime=11/06/2012 08:41:48

DBversion=1181

LastScanned=C:\Users\LJEMER\AppData\Local\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Agent\Uploads\C0B219KWVVMK2HMSD84FWQAT4H173BC4QQISJ782AT5QT64251\Display\pci_ven_8086&dev_0046&subsys_046e1028\igxpco64.dll

ScanAnalyzed=0

ScanBlocked=0

SystemAnalyzed=77

SystemBlocked=14

WebAnalyzed=81

WebBlocked=0

USBAnalyzed=0

USBBlocked=0

CloudSafeCount=118998

CloudThreatCount=3474

OK, nothing ignored.

It seems that DOG is enabled in config.ini file.

Is the protection level at High level or Recommended level in your Settings=> Protect=>Protect level ?

You can slide it down to Recommended level and untick DOG if you want lighter protection.

Cheers.

OK, nothing ignored.

It seems that DOG is enabled in config.ini file.

Is the protection level at High level or Recommended level in your Settings=> Protect=>Protect level ?

You can slide it down to Recommended level and untick DOG if you want lighter protection.

Cheers.

Thanks! It already was recommended so I switched off DOG.

• 1 month later...

hi i'm having a similar issue.

I was performing updates on a friends computer after having used IMF and a few other programs to clean their system. when windows updates started, it prompted me to allow or block certain files/changes, and I clicked "Remember" then accidentally clicked block, which caused the windows updates to fail.

I followed the procedures outlined here, and it prompted me again, but the updates still failed, and the realtime stats still show it as being blocked. How do I actually undo the changes the program made that blocked it? Not just the prompting, but the actual changes themselves? You really should have a restore option, or undo option, or some ability from within this program to undo any or all changes that it makes. It's not safe to not have such for this exact reason!

Archived