IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Using more than 1 Antivirus [Moved from -ASC5 icons visible but dont work- thread ]

Toppack

AVG and MSE operate Great together, with no conflects.

We have both running, at same time,on 3 W-7-64bit systems.

If you have a fast computer you don't even notice them, but there is a slight time delay sometime,

when using multiple security programs.

Thank you Toppack!

Thanks for the heads-up on that! I adopted the standard approach concerning AV's some years ago and hadn't revisited the issue! Do you happen to know if MSE is friendly with AV's other than AVG? I have edited my previous post accordingly to reflect your advisement! [Edit: I have done a little research since I posted here on this subject and I still advise the usage of only one A/V]

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Do you happen to know if MSE is friendly with AV's other than AVG?

I use 'Stopzilla', along with MSE, on one W-7 computer, with no problems.

I've read that later versions of AVs are compatible with MSE,

It was just some of the older versions that were not.

( of Norton and Macafee)

AVG and MSE operate Great together, with no conflects.

We have both running, at same time, on 3 W-7-64bit systems.

If you have a fast computer you don't even notice them, but there is a slight time delay sometime, when using multiple security programs.

I'm sorry, but I could not disagree more. Your advice is incorrect and extremely naive. Just because you have not noticed any issues from running two anti-virus programs together at the same time does not mean that issues and conflicts are not present.

Just because your computer has not crashed or slowed to a crawl does not mean that everything is okay. That's extremely naive and betrays a total lack of understanding of the subject.

Anti-virus software is designed to hook very deeply into your operating system. When you have two running at the same time, everything may appear to be okay, but it isn't. Even if they do not actually slow your computer down, they will slow each other down, and they will interfere with each other. That's the issue. It has nothing to do with how fast your computer is. That has nothing to do with it.

Even though you may not be able to tell, and even if everything seems to be okay, running two at the same time will compromise the security of your system, even though it may not affect its performance.

The problem is that most people think there aren't any issues in running two — as long as their computer hasn't slowed down. That's not the issue. The issue is that the detection and removal abilities of the anti-virus programs are going to be affected and handicapped by each other. Neither will be performing at one hundred percent, and the security of your system will be severely reduced.

These conflicts are things that are going on "behind the scenes." You cannot see them nor can you measure them. Therefore, it's impossible for you to declare that there are no conflicts in running two at the same time, and it's irresponsible of you to tell others that it's okay to do so.

The advice has always been to never run more than one at the same time. Nothing has changed; the advice still stands.

The advice has always been to never run more than one at the same time. Nothing has changed; the advice still stands.

Sorry, But you are Wrong! :roll:

They operate Great together, on W-7 computers that have MSE.

I agree that two 3rd party Security programs, such as AVG and Avast, should not be run at same time, but they are designed to be compatible with MSE.

BTW - I contacted Stopzilla Support, and they say that it and MSE are Fully compatible,

I've not got a reply from AVG yet.

Note:

Stopzilla has really improved their Support department recently, with very fast response

Sorry, but you are Wrong! :roll: They operate Great together, on W-7 computers that have MSE.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that they are getting along "great together." As I said, just because your computer has not slowed to a crawl or crashed does not mean that they are getting along. Your statement is not based on any evidence or on any facts; it is purely subjective, and it is at odds with everything that is known about the subject.

They, in all likelihood, are interfering with each other in ways that you have no way of knowing and are causing the security of your system to be compromised.

I agree that two 3rd party security programs, such as AVG and Avast, should not be run at same time, but they are designed to be compatible with MSE.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a full-fledged anti-virus program, just like AVG and Avast. It is designed to replace them, not complement them. It was NEVER designed to be compatible with them! Microsoft's own instructions are to NOT use MSE along with any other anti-virus program. And AVG and Avast, along with all anti-virus vendors, strongly warn users to not use their software along with any other anti-virus program, including MSE.

I think your problem is that you do not realize that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is an actual full-fledged anti-virus program. It is not a complementary anti-malware program like IObit Malware Fighter, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, etc.

BTW - I contacted Stopzilla support, and they say that it and MSE are fully compatible.

Yes, of course, they are. That's because STOPzilla is not an anti-virus program. It's more of an anti-malware program, similar to SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. You can, generally, always run one anti-malware program alongside your primary anti-virus program — so running STOPzilla along with MSE should be fine. (But you can NEVER run two anti-virus programs together, such as running MSE with Avast or AVG. They WILL interfere with each other.)

hi all

If ones secondary antivirus program relies solely on definition files I suppose they will be compatible with each other.

If both uses heuristic scanning I would be very wary and would always make sure that I had closed down the one before running the other. Because the automatic functioning in both programs easily could come into conflict with each other during an heuristic scanning, I think.

They could easily have different parameters for this type of scanning.

Therefore my general recommandation is to use only one anti-virus program at a time.

Cheers

solbjerg

That's because STOPzilla is not an anti-virus program. It's more of an anti-malware program, similar to SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. You can, generally, always run one anti-malware program alongside your primary anti-virus program — so running STOPzilla along with MSE should be fine.

I felt that I needed to correct this statement.

Stopzilla IS a Full Anti-virus program.

In the same class as AVG and Avast.

Not just a Anti-spyware program.

Stopzilla is updated regularly with latest viruses, trojans, etc.

And as I said we use AVG or Stopzilla along with MSE, on four systems,

and what MSE does not block, the others do.

Which, to me, is Good insurance.

Stopzilla IS a Full Anti-virus program. In the same class as AVG and Avast. Not just a Anti-spyware program. Stopzilla is updated regularly with latest viruses, trojans, etc.

No, it's not. STOPzilla is not an anti-virus program, and THEY do not claim it is! Just because it has the ability to detect certain viruses, does not make it a full-fledged anti-virus program. Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot Seach & Destroy, etc. all detect and remove certain viruses too, but that does not make them anti-virus programs either!

What? Do you think that just because a program is able to detect and remove certain viruses that it is then considered an "anti-virus" program?

It doesn't work that way, though.

I'm sorry to say it, but you need to seriously study this issue more before you comment on it.

And as I said we use AVG or Stopzilla along with MSE, on four systems, and what MSE does not block, the others do. Which, to me, is Good insurance.

You are making a very common beginner's mistake. You are employing the false logic of thinking that if one of something is good, then two must be better.

You can feel free to use STOPzilla along with your AVG all you want — because one (the AVG) is a full-fledged anti-virus program, and the other (STOPzilla) is not. They should get along fine.

You cannot, however, run AVG along with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) because they are both primary anti-virus programs, and they will handicap each other.

You can continue to argue about this all you want, but your stubborness to listen is exposing your lack of knowledge on the subject and hurting your credibility.

I'm not trying to be rude to you, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way, but nevertheless, everything that you have stated so far is demonstrably false, and it needs to be corrected.

:roll:

How about Flint-lock Pistols, at 20-paces? :mrgreen:

BTW- I emailed AVG again, and I keep getting an automated reply,

saying that they charge for Tech-support, so I guess I won't be getting an answer from them.

Oh well, We know they operate well Together and that's all that matters to me.

I'll let other people make their own decision what they want to do.

No offense, but for someone with as many posts as you have, you should really know these things. :wink:

I still think you are confused, though, about the differences between full-fledged anti-virus programs and complementary anti-malware programs.

Some anti-malware programs like STOPzilla and Malwarebytes Pro offer real-time protection against malware, spyware, adware, etc., and they even protect against some viruses too, but that does not qualify them as "anti-virus" programs. They are different, and you can, if you want to, in most cases, run one anti-malware program along with your primary anti-virus program.

However, you can never run two full-fledged anti-virus programs together at the same time, such as AVG, Avira, Avast, Norton, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), etc. (These are all true anti-virus programs and cannot be used together.)

Oh well, We know they operate well Together and that's all that matters to me.

You keep stating that over and over. However, you have no way of actually knowing if any issues are present or not. Chances are that you will never experience any obvious problems that you will be able to see, but this does NOT mean that everything is okay.

Even though it's not something that you can see, the two anti-virus programs that are running together are interfering with each other and are degrading each other's performance. That's happening — even though you have no way of being able to tell — and even though you are in denial about it.

Neither of your two anti-virus programs are running at one hundred percent; their ability to detect infections are severely reduced, and their removal abilities are severely crippled. You just better hope that you're lucky enough to never get a real nasty infection like a rootkit on one of your systems — as the removal of it — with two running anti-virus programs on your system — will be especially difficult.

Since you keep disputing everything I have said, I have provided some links from Microsoft. Perhaps you will believe them.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/can-avg-anti-virus-be-run-at-the-same-time-as/798f1fca-940b-485a-aa3f-f14ed3219db1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/mse-conflict-with-avg-running-side-by-side/9080447a-95c7-4b5b-a889-86743a1017c2

BTW- I emailed AVG again, and I keep getting an automated reply, saying that they charge for Tech-support, so I guess I won't be getting an answer from them.

No need to bother. Here's their answer here:

http://free.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-2982#num-2982

Please note their very unambiguous language: "It is generally not recommended to use more security solutions on one system. They will compete for resources which may result in slowdown, crashes or in no protection at all. We recommend uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials."

I'll let other people make their own decision [about] what they want to do.

This matter is not something subjective where each person is entitled to their own opinion. Running two anti-virus programs together is harmful. Period. You will find it impossible to find even one expert who says otherwise, because the subject is not even open for debate.

Hi Toppack and Johnny Sokko!

The points are made and the opinions expressed!

Toppack has agreed to do what he wants to do because he is in control of his machines and disputes what Johnny Sokko (or anybody else) says... that is his right! He agrees to disagree and be amiable.:-D

Johnny Sokko should agree that this matter is something subjective and full of opinions and that we can be friends anyway.:grin: Redundant posting is unnecessary...

Members and visitors here can do a Google search and form their opinions freely.

It will be fruitless to continue these semantics. I have seen this before... been right in the middle of it!!!!!

This is a user help forum!!!! How much help have these posts been!! :shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi, Melvin.

Yes, I agree that threads like this are, more often than not, pointless. I am hoping that this one will end on a positive note, though.

I provided several links from Microsoft and AVG for Toppack to read. After reading them, I trust that he will admit to being in error. If not, well, then that's his choice.

Johnny Sokko should agree that this matter is something subjective and full of opinions and that we can be friends anyway.

Yes, of course, everyone can always be friends regardless of disagreements. I agree with that, and that's why I remained civil with Toppack the entire time, even though I could not have been more in disagreement with him.

I do take issue with your statement, though, that this matter is subjective. It isn't, and that's why I spent so much time responding to Toppack. There is simply not one single expert — or one single anti-virus vendor who would agree that it's okay to ever run two anti-virus programs simultaneously.

Hi Johnny Sokko!

Definition of Subjective from the Mirriam Webster Dictionary:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9408&d=1327968137

There is a number 5 that I couldn't get in the screen shot: 5: Illusory

I was using the word along the lines of 4 a. The existance of this thread demonstrates subjectivity.

1 a. doesn't seem to apply as there is certainly freedom of action!

After I researched in the beginning of the thread... to see if something had changed... I am in agreement with with you. However Toppack disagrees with you based on his personal views, experience, or background!:grin:

There are no implications of rightness or wrongness, limitations on debate, nor reflections of factualness in the word. :wink:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Toppack is from Texas! He probably has a set of dueling flintlocks!!:shock:LOL!! Just don't pick my street for the showdown!!:mrgreen:

Hi all,

I run avast(HF),IMF(HF) & widows defender, have not had any problems.

Roy

Hi Roy!

I am aware of your posts on this forum. I am only making sure that your post has not been overlooked. Based on your previous posts, I am sure that you already are knowledgable, so take it with a grain of salt! scrd01's post (#3 in the thread) is here.

You should have no problems as IMF and windows defender are not A/V's

Your post and input seems to have not been noticed, Avast is fine software... it is light on your system and has a very high detection rate and the programmers are quick at identifying new threats.. If you are a safe surfer then you should be O.K. windows defender as a firewall though is still pretty much worthless as it is integrated into your security services center within Windows.

I would urge you to utilize an effective firewall such as Commodo... I will list others if you ask [my personal preference is Commodo as it seems the most easily managed)]

My apologies on behalf of us all for not responding sooner to your post!

Sincerely

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

The existence of this thread demonstrates subjectivity.

The existence of this thread does not prove that the subject matter is subjective; it merely proves the existence of ignorance on the subject matter. As is often the case, on forums everywhere, you always have many well-meaning but misinformed people commenting on topics outside of their area of expertise or beyond their level of understanding and then confusion results (i.e., the blind leading the blind).

The fact is there is not one single anti-virus vendor or one single expert who recommends running more than one anti-virus program. (And not only do they not recommend it, they advise in the strongest terms possible not to.) There is a unified consensus of opinion on this subject in the industry. This demonstrates that the subject is not subjective in any way imaginable.

Many novices read through this forum seeking advice, and they form opinions based on what they read. Because of that, I do not feel comfortable allowing erroneous and potentially harmful advice to stand unchallenged.

After I researched in the beginning of the thread ... to see if something had changed ... I am in agreement with you. However Toppack disagrees with you based on his personal views, experience, or background!:grin:

Yes, I noticed that. I respect that. A person should always be willing to change their opinion based on good research and on what the evidence shows. Toppack is welcome to disagree all he wants, but in my opinion, someone with as many posts as he has owes it to the community to research the topic better before he comments. The danger lies in a novice reading his advice and giving it more credibility than it deserves and then being misled by it (i.e., they may wrongly assume that someone with so many posts is extremely knowledgeable on the subject, when that isn't the case).

You should have no problems as IMF and Windows Defender are not A/V's.

Sorry, Melvin; I have to disagree with you on this. :sad:

Yes, it's true that neither IObit Malware Fighter (IMF) nor Windows Defender are anti-virus programs (A/Vs). They are actually anti-malware/anti-spyware programs. But just as one should never run more than one anti-virus program, one should never have more than one anti-malware/anti-spyware program (with real-time protection enabled) running on their computer either. IMF and Windows Defender both do the same things (for example, both programs give warnings to allow or to block registry changes). Can you not see the enormous potential for conflicts with this?

However, I do need to point out that as long as the real-time protection guards are disabled on IMF, there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever. Disable the protection guards and it will be fine to run with Windows Defender; keep them enabled and there will be conflicts.

Avast is fine software ... it is light on your system and has a very high detection rate and the programmers are quick at identifying new threats.

I pretty much agree with that. Avast is a fine anti-virus program! So are AVG, Avira, Panda, and many others, too.

Windows Defender as a firewall though is still pretty much worthless as it is integrated into your security services center within Windows.

Windows Defender does not include a firewall, and it has nothing to do with Windows Firewall. Not sure where you got that, but they are, in fact, two completely different programs.

That aside, I do have to say that I disagree with you about Windows Firewall being worthless. Personally, I like it, and I think it has a lot of value. It may not be the best out there, but it's far from worthless, and it's more than adequate for most users.

I would urge you to utilize an effective firewall such as Comodo ... I will list others if you ask (my personal preference is Comodo as it seems the most easily managed).

Comodo makes an excellent firewall; I totally agree. It's an excellent choice — for those who feel they need more protection than that provided by Windows Firewall (although I do still firmly believe that Windows Firewall is perfectly adequate for most users).

I would like to add, however, that the user's knowledge level about computers should always be taken into consideration before a firewall is recommended to them. Windows Firewall is fully automatic and requires basically no input from the user to set up. Third-party firewalls, such as Comodo, are more complicated and require a certain level of knowledge to configure properly. If the user is a novice, or if they do not understand how to set one up properly, I would then strongly suggest that they be advised to continue using Windows Firewall instead — and to forget about third-party ones. Even if it could be convincingly demonstrated that Comodo Firewall is superior to Windows Firewall, I would maintain that it's better to use a "weaker" one (i.e., Windows Firewall) than to use a better one that is set up improperly.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Comodo no longer makes a standalone version of their firewall. In order to get it, you actually have to download one of their security packages which also contains their anti-virus. I'm pretty sure, though, that there is an option given during the installation to only install the firewall.

• 5 months later...

nofa,

You can quote a sentence from a post, but it is a sign of spam if you copy and paste a sentence of someone else.

Also, the subject is discussed in detail and you are not adding anything.

Please do not post for the sake of only posting

Please take it as a warning.

Cheers.

Archived