IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

thirteen

solbjerg

Hi titou and enoskype

I came across some information that mentioned that there were no streets whatsoever in Paris that had the number 13, is that true?

The original states in US numbered 13, so apparently it is not always a bad thing.

Quatorziens → fourteeners were some Frenchmen that made themselves available for dinner parties to let the host avoid the number thirteen among the guests. :-)

The Turks apparently also try to avoid the number?

I remember that my grandmother always set an extra plate at dinner gatherings in our family - for the unexpected guest, the prophet or for someone asking for a meal.

In Demark all streets usually have number 13, but in hotels it is quite commen not to have it.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I have always heard it since my childhood, but I am sure it came to Turkey from the west.

Couple of months ago it was discussed in Parliment and was decided to add the 13th rows to Airbusses and Boeings wich came originally without 13th row. :-P

In fact some believe in Turkey that number 13 is lucky.

The reasons? :wink:

1) Conquest of Istanbul : AC 1453 =>individual numbers add to 13

2) Birth year of Mohammed : AC 571 =>individual numbers add to 13

3) Turks meeting with islam : AC 751 =>individual numbers add to 13

One can create 100 reasons for justification. 8:)

You know, for some people in Turkey, Tuesdays are not considered to be a good day to start something.

Well, conquest of Istanbul was on a Tuesday.:idea:

Not a good day for the ones who were living there before 1453. :lol::lol:

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Interesting - but it does say something that the question has been up in parliament :-)

Bar Mitzwah can be seen either way (good or bad?) I suppose - it is when the child is 13 and are entering the grown up religious world. :-)

What christians call confirmation - is there a muslim equivalent - perhaps when a child is able to perform the fast during ramadan?

The most common explanation is possibly the christian one - at the "last supper" Judas was number 13 in the group. And he is most often seen as a bad egg.

I know that many different cultures see it as a lucky/good number, but what threw me was that a very large city like Paris shouldn't have a single house number 13.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I have always heard it since my childhood, but I am sure it came to Turkey from the west.

Couple of months ago it was discussed in Parliment and was decided to add the 13th rows to Airbusses and Boeings wich came originally without 13th row. :-P

In fact some believe in Turkey that number 13 is lucky.

The reasons?

1) Conquest of Istanbul : AC 1453 =>individual numbers add to 13

2) Birth year of Mohammed : AC 571 =>individual numbers add to 13

3) Turks meeting with islam : AC 751 =>individual numbers add to 13

One can create 100 reasons for justification.

You know, for some people in Turkey, Tuesdays are not considered to be a good day to start something.

Well, conquest of Istanbul was on a Tuesday.:idea:

Not a good day for the ones who were living there before 1453. :lol::lol:

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi friends :wink:

In France, in the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré where the Elysee is, we skipped the number 13 on the orders of the Empress Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III ...

But this is apparently the only one example.

The crisis grows to be conciliatory with the gods. :smile:

the British site Zoopla reported that an apartment of less than 300 000 £, located at a street number 13, would sell for an average of 4,000 pounds (4,593 euros) less than another, same value, at 12 or 14. since 28% of British streets have no number 13: either the number has been erased over the door, or it has been renamed "11 bis "!

In a formula 1, 13 is not assigned to any competitor since the death of two pilots with that number.

In the Tarot, the 13 also refers to the death.

In Italy, the national lottery has removed 13.

On national and international flights, many planes have no thirteenth place.

United States, on the fourteenth floor directly below the twelfth in a number of skyscrapers and apartment buildings.

How this phobia of the number 13, to which the Anglo-Saxons have even seen fit to give a name, Triskaidekaphobia, Did It?

The idea itself goes back at least to the Norse mythology of the pre-Christian era. At Valhalla, a banquet was held in which 12 gods were invited. Suddenly, Loki, god of war and evil, burst into the room, raising to 13 the number of guests.

Then they sought him out, setting off a violent argument in which Balder, the god most beloved of all, was killed.

This is the earliest written reference to the curse that hangs over the number 13.

Originating in Scandinavia, superstition soon spread throughout Europe.

At the dawn of the Christian era, it was so ingrained in the entire Mediterranean basin. She would find a new lease with the meal the most famous in the history of mankind, the Last Supper, where Christ and his apostles were 13 around a table. Less than twenty-four hours later, Jesus was crucified.

According to tradition, it was a Friday the 13th Eve tempted Adam with the apple, that Noah's Ark was thrown on the waves, a confusion of tongues struck the tower of Babel, the Temple of Solomon was destroyed and that Christ died on the cross.

However, the true origin of the superstition seems to also be in a Nordic legend. Friday was another name for Frigga, the goddess of love and fertility. When the Nordic and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished, sent to a mountain top and seen as a witch. Every Friday, the goddess, full of rancor, summoned 11 witches, plus the devil (thus they found themselves 13), to plot tricks.

For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was known as the "Witches' Sabbath."

very best regards,

T2

Hi titou

Thank you very much. I will read some more about it. I do know that a lot of theories exists.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Loki (Loke) comes from the word for tongue of flame(lue/-in the sense flame) and can therefore both be seen as a destructor and a providor of heat (good and bad) a sort of yin yang.

Providor of change perhaps.

He is mostly characterized by pranks and inventiveness

But here in Scandinavia he is mostly seen as an evil character - only a couple of hundred (maybe 300) people bear his name in Denmark - in 2007 25 boys were named after him - the year that most got his name.

He was a jætte ((jötunn, jotun, giant) hailing from jötunheim- home of the giants) His actions gave rise to Ragnarok (Armageddon).

Balder was a Jesus like figure and in that context I suppose Pontius Pilate is akin to Loki or perhaps rather Höder. :-)

Loki helped the blind Höder hit Balder with an arrow made from misteltoe which plant had been overlooked when they had sworn all things to a promise of not harming Balder.

p.p.s.

There is a theory that it comes from the Sumerian calender. (about 5-6000 years ago - this is about the time when hunters in the stone age began to live permanently in Denmark)

This calender was very precise (365,25 days to a year - today we say 365,2425) and to get it up to date they then inserted a 13th month once in a while). And the theory then is that this change from the ordinary was seen as bad by the common people and that this then led to seeing 13 as "bad".

They used a month of 30 days. So every 6h year they added on more month to a year

The 7 day week is approximately in accordance with the phases of the moon.

13 months with 28 days could easily be seen as 13 was a good number - but it would then not be in accordance with the zodiac signs.

The Sumerians developed the six-rowed barley from the two-rowed and laid the foundation on their wealth from this.

Hi friends :wink:

In France, in the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré where the Elysee is, we skipped the number 13 on the orders of the Empress Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III ...

But this is apparently the only one example.

The crisis grows to be conciliatory with the gods. :smile:

the British site Zoopla reported that an apartment of less than 300 000 £, located at a street number 13, would sell for an average of 4,000 pounds (4,593 euros) less than another, same value, at 12 or 14. since 28% of British streets have no number 13: either the number has been erased over the door, or it has been renamed "11 bis "!

In a formula 1, 13 is not assigned to any competitor since the death of two pilots with that number.

In the Tarot, the 13 also refers to the death.

In Italy, the national lottery has removed 13.

On national and international flights, many planes have no thirteenth place.

United States, on the fourteenth floor directly below the twelfth in a number of skyscrapers and apartment buildings.

How this phobia of the number 13, to which the Anglo-Saxons have even seen fit to give a name, Triskaidekaphobia, Did It?

The idea itself goes back at least to the Norse mythology of the pre-Christian era. At Valhalla, a banquet was held in which 12 gods were invited. Suddenly, Loki, god of war and evil, burst into the room, raising to 13 the number of guests.

Then they sought him out, setting off a violent argument in which Balder, the god most beloved of all, was killed.

This is the earliest written reference to the curse that hangs over the number 13.

Originating in Scandinavia, superstition soon spread throughout Europe.

At the dawn of the Christian era, it was so ingrained in the entire Mediterranean basin. She would find a new lease with the meal the most famous in the history of mankind, the Last Supper, where Christ and his apostles were 13 around a table. Less than twenty-four hours later, Jesus was crucified.

According to tradition, it was a Friday the 13th Eve tempted Adam with the apple, that Noah's Ark was thrown on the waves, a confusion of tongues struck the tower of Babel, the Temple of Solomon was destroyed and that Christ died on the cross.

However, the true origin of the superstition seems to also be in a Nordic legend. Friday was another name for Frigga, the goddess of love and fertility. When the Nordic and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished, sent to a mountain top and seen as a witch. Every Friday, the goddess, full of rancor, summoned 11 witches, plus the devil (thus they found themselves 13), to plot tricks.

For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was known as the "Witches' Sabbath."

very best regards,

T2

Archived