IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Problems booting - screen jumping after using ASC3

mightypecan

I used ASC in early January and basically have had this problem since then. What happens is the computer will never restart...I always have to manually turn the power off. Once I press it again to turn the computer on, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't (though fan is running), I have to turn it back off manually, then turn it back on. It usually works this time, however every time graphics or video are present the screen goes crazy. For example the whole time I'm typing this the screen is basically 'flickering', which is the text box being reproduced...hopefully this makes sense.

I am using XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. I have tried numerous repair installs with an XP disc, new mbr...nada. I've also tried some of the things on Ultimate Boot CD For Windows with no luck....any ideas? I don't see where it's necessary to redo Windows since I can get on...just the problem is usually there.

There have been times when I could get it to shut down and boot up with no problems...always the reboot not working. Lately though, it's been an on going issue whether I'm booting or rebooting.

Hi mightypecan

Sounds like you have run a scan/repair without checking the problems/details before clicking repair.

There are several things you can try, - but first please read this thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

First try using the restore center in ASC to try and have the optimizations you have accepted annulled.

If that isn't possible then try right click my computer - choose properties - choose tab advanced - choose performance and button "settings" and then choose "let windows choose the best settings for your computer."

If this works - then remember to look at the "problems" when you run a scan before clicking repair.

If it doesn't I think you should try the Windows System Restore function and go back to a date before you ran the ASC scan/repair for the first time.

Then if you follow the "manual" for the next scan it should be ok.

Let's hear how it goes please.

Cheers

solbjerg

I used ASC in early January and basically have had this problem since then. What happens is the computer will never restart...I always have to manually turn the power off. Once I press it again to turn the computer on, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't (though fan is running), I have to turn it back off manually, then turn it back on. It usually works this time, however every time graphics or video are present the screen goes crazy. For example the whole time I'm typing this the screen is basically 'flickering', which is the text box being reproduced...hopefully this makes sense.

I am using XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. I have tried numerous repair installs with an XP disc, new mbr...nada. I've also tried some of the things on Ultimate Boot CD For Windows with no luck....any ideas? I don't see where it's necessary to redo Windows since I can get on...just the problem is usually there.

There have been times when I could get it to shut down and boot up with no problems...always the reboot not working. Lately though, it's been an on going issue whether I'm booting or rebooting.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the recovery features of ASC, no luck. Recovery console doesn't work either...anything before the point of using ASC somehow disappeared. I always used RegCure and never had a problem, then I downloaded this trial and my computer is acting up. I know I may not have looked at what it wanted to clean, but like an idiot I trusted the software...figured if another program never caused problems doing similar tasks, maybe this would be the same way. Of course it was after the fact that I found other people had done the same thing. Truthfully I wouldn't have a clue what to look for anyway.

For a few weeks it's been fine...by fine I mean I could boot with no problems, but I could never reboot...doing so would cause the same stuff to happen. With no changes being made, last night it somehow began doing this again. I've included a video to show what happens on sites with more graphics....which is the same thing that's happening as I type right now.

Hi mightypecan

I might have been a bit hasty removing the link, it was flagged by me as been questionable, so I deleted it. Since then I checked it and it looks like it could be a false positive. Sorry!

Cheers

solbjerg

I tried the recovery features of ASC, no luck. Recovery console doesn't work either...anything before the point of using ASC somehow disappeared. I always used RegCure and never had a problem, then I downloaded this trial and my computer is acting up. I know I may not have looked at what it wanted to clean, but like an idiot I trusted the software...figured if another program never caused problems doing similar tasks, maybe this would be the same way. Of course it was after the fact that I found other people had done the same thing. Truthfully I wouldn't have a clue what to look for anyway.

For a few weeks it's been fine...by fine I mean I could boot with no problems, but I could never reboot...doing so would cause the same stuff to happen. With no changes being made, last night it somehow began doing this again. I've included a video to show what happens on sites with more graphics....which is the same thing that's happening as I type right now.

Here it is again...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=23tjcpv&s=5

I'm stumped with this. I've tried doing a Windows re-install...using Windows XP SP3...only to have to manually press the power button to 're-start' the computer while it's trying to reboot itself during the repair installation. I only say this is caused from ASC because it happened at that time...but I know with computers you never know. Could it be a video driver issue? Would it make sense that it would cause strange boot scenarios?

Well mightypecan

I really don't know, anything like that never happened here, but as you say even same computers with same setup can act differently once in a while. I'll bear this in mind and try to think of a possible solution.

Maybe others here know more about it.

By the way the video wasn't easy to follow and the pictures weren't terribly clear I'm sorry to say. Some sceenshots may be better!

Cheers

solbjerg

Here it is again...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=23tjcpv&s=5

I'm stumped with this. I've tried doing a Windows re-install...using Windows XP SP3...only to have to manually press the power button to 're-start' the computer while it's trying to reboot itself during the repair installation. I only say this is caused from ASC because it happened at that time...but I know with computers you never know. Could it be a video driver issue? Would it make sense that it would cause strange boot scenarios?

I wish I could do better with the video...but with internet compression I don't know of another way. I mainly just wanted to show how things jump...not necessarily specific content. Graphics and video jump like crazy. If I could figure out how to successfully get the machine to reboot, then I think that would maybe solve the problem...since it only happens because it won't come on the first time the power button is pressed. I can hear it post...but the monitor still doesn't come on, and the keyboard doesn't light up (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock). So basically it only does half the boot I guess. Could this be a bios problem? I know some things about computers, but certainly not enough to figure this out. If you know of somewhere else for me to go, I'm open to suggestions.

I will see if I can pick up some screenshots...

Can you run a sfc /scannow ?

Cheers

solbjerg

I wish I could do better with the video...but with internet compression I don't know of another way. I mainly just wanted to show how things jump...not necessarily specific content. Graphics and video jump like crazy. If I could figure out how to successfully get the machine to reboot, then I think that would maybe solve the problem...since it only happens because it won't come on the first time the power button is pressed. I can hear it post...but the monitor still doesn't come on, and the keyboard doesn't light up (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock). So basically it only does half the boot I guess. Could this be a bios problem? I know some things about computers, but certainly not enough to figure this out. If you know of somewhere else for me to go, I'm open to suggestions.

I will see if I can pick up some screenshots...

A prompt comes up asking me to insert my XP Professional CD...but I have Windows XP Home, and of course that disc doesn't work.

Screenshots won't work..it cuts out the areas that are being duplicated...which give the screen the flashing look. Sort of like trying to take a screen shot of a rendered video.

As far as I remember I think it should be possible to find the command in regedit and change it to XP Home, - I'll see if I can find that article somewhere.

In your services - is everything configured correctly?

Under the sfc issue in Usage of IObit Products there is a couple of links that descibe how to make a new updated Install disk for the sfc action

Cheers

solbjerg

A prompt comes up asking me to insert my XP Professional CD...but I have Windows XP Home, and of course that disc doesn't work.

Screenshots won't work..it cuts out the areas that are being duplicated...which give the screen the flashing look. Sort of like trying to take a screen shot of a rendered video.

Try reading this KB222473

I think it probably also is in your Help&Support

Cheers

solbjerg

As far as I remember I think it should be possible to find the command in regedit and change it to XP Home, - I'll see if I can find that article somewhere.

In your services - is everything configured correctly?

Under the sfc issue in Usage of IObit Products there is a couple of links that descibe how to make a new updated Install disk for the sfc action

Cheers

solbjerg

This isn't in my registry...or at least I can't see it as the article describes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

The only sub-folder in the Windows NT folder is Terminal Services.

I'm the only user on this computer (administrator account).

I am trying this method, copying the files my C: drive, etc...but I do not have this in my registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Setup

I can't find it anywhere...did a search in the registry and tried to manually locate it with no luck.

Hi mightypecan

It is possible to run sfc /scannow anyway

It is just that you will have to skip/ignore every time it hits a file that it isn't sure of (this is usualliy from the updates of SP2 and SP3) and if the problem is related to one or more of of these updated files, it probably won't help to run it. On the other hand if one of the original files that aren't updated is damaged it might help.

You may have to click ignore very many times.

It should be possible to slipstream the SP2 and or SP3 into your i386 folder and then use that in the sfc command.

Cheers

solbjerg

I am trying this method, copying the files my C: drive, etc...but I do not have this in my registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Setup

I can't find it anywhere...did a search in the registry and tried to manually locate it with no luck.

Hi everybody,

If you have SP3 instaled and Windows is updated to recent, adding the following registry string value:

C:\windows\ServicePackFiles

(taking into consideration that the boot drive is C:)

to item Name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath

may solve the sfc /scannow issue.

Please check if the ServicePackFiles folder is in windows directory.

If you don't have it in the registry (as mightypecan), follow the creation below:

Right click on Setup=>highlight New=>click String Value on the right menu=>type ServicePackSourcePath instead of the created {New Value #1} box=>click anywhere=>right click on ServicePackSourcePath=>click Modify=>type C:\windows\ServicePackFiles=>click OK

The result should look like something like that:

Name...............................................Type..................................Data

ServicePackSourcePath......................REG_SZ.............................C:\windows\ServicePackFiles

Restart the PC to make sure that the registry is read.

Cheers.

Ok mightypecan

Borrow one xp pro disk from a friend for a few hours!!

Cheers

solbjerg

I created the entry, and shutdown, then booted the computer...since I can not reboot. Nothing new...same message regarding the Windows XP Professional Disc.

Hi again, mightypecan,

Here is a file I made for getting my SFC working. I've added amendments to suit you:

SFC /Scannow Error

When you install Windows from a CD that has had a Service Pack streamlined into the installation files, and you run Windows File Protection's DOS commands, such as "sfc /scannow" it requests the original CD.

You insert the CD used to setup Windows but instead of accepting that disk, it repeatedly requests that you "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2" CD.

To enable my SFC /Scannow.

BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!

Copy your Windows Setup CD to C:\ and Name it: WinXP.

( I have copied the whole CD as I also use it for my BartPE CD, but you only need to copy the i386 folder)

Open Registry and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup.

There will be a list of strings there including SourcePath. Give it a value of C:\WinXP ( Or whatever you've named it ).

( If it isn't there, create it )

Right-click on a blank part of the R/H section under the list and select New > String Value.

Name it ServicePackSourcePath and give it a value of C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles.

( Check to see if you have that ServicePackFiles folder in C:\Windows )

Right-click on a blank part of the R/H section under the list and select New > String Value.

Name it ServicePackCachePath and give it a Value of: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache

( Again check to see if you have this ServicePackCache folder in C:\Windows )

Type: SFC /Scannow into Run.

This copies files from the I386 folder into the .dll cache.

===================================================

Archived