IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Clones

nedgreenan

Hi there - I'm a new 10bit member (love the product!) and a complete software dunce! I appear to have a bucket full of clones that show up after doing a clone search. Can I just delete the lot or should I do some thing more technical. Perhaps someone can recommend a simple program for helping clone erasure. Cheers and all the best Phillip

hi Phillip

Be very, very prudent and careful deleting clones.

Please read Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section.

I think it is mostly an add-in for perfectionists, but of course if one has some large picture files and/or video files in several locations on ones computer it could be a good idea to delete the superfluous ones.

I sometimes delete some of the picture files that has been saved during operations in several locations.

Let me give you an example, let's say that you have saved a picture to your picture file, it might be a .bmp. or a .tiff picture. You change it to a .jpg picture, resize it, and cut away the superfluous from it, and then save it.

You now have 2 pictures essentially the same picture but the .tiff/.bmp is much larger than the .jpg picture. You will have to choose which one to keep - or perhaps keep both as the .tiff/.bmp is the original one containing the most information.

Depending from where you got the picture and what else you have done with it, there is a good chance that it will be in some other location too. Should you delete it from there then? That again depends if it is in a location where you often use it from - or if it is the original picture that you by mistake deleted from your picture folder.

So you see you have to think about what you do.

At least it gives you a nice overview of what duplicate files you have on your computer and where they are located. I find this a fine help.

Another example, - you make a backup/copy of some file and place it in another folder for security, - then you go into the clone utility and find two duplicate files, you think - I do not need two so I throw out one, - ok - now you just deleted the file you had made as backup - had been easier not to create the backup in the first place, right? :-)

Nobody is saying that you have to do them all in one setting :-) you can go in a week/month from now and do a little more tidying up :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi there - I'm a new 10bit member (love the product!) and a complete software dunce! I appear to have a bucket full of clones that show up after doing a clone search. Can I just delete the lot or should I do some thing more technical. Perhaps someone can recommend a simple program for helping clone erasure. Cheers and all the best Phillip

Clones

Hi Phillip-Tread very carefully regarding clones.As a self proclaimed "software dunce" this is not the area in which to experiment.Type "clones" or "clone files" into the forum search and you'll see many threads discussing clones.Though I'm sure the list of clones on your PC appears to be endless,their total space taken in respect to your hard drive is minuscule.However,small as some of these files are,deleting the wrong one by accident can yield catastrophic results.Stick to the files that ASC's scans identify as junk and delete those-it's a much safer practice,and you'll have a better chance of throwing away that dunce hat if your PC is still working!

Archived