IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Clone File Finder Tool

rwbonin

Hi detailer

I think it is duplicate files, this probably means that they have the same name and have the same number of characters in the file, - but perhaps not precisely the same characters and are placed at different locations.

We can check this.

I'll try to make two files with the same name and the same number of characters, but where one of the files talks about something quite different, and place those two files in different folders, then run Clone file Finder and check if it sees them as clones - then try it with a different extension .doc and .txt fx.

Cheers

solbjerg

That's my understanding as well.

I have just checked

It does not see the same file with different extensions as a cloned/duplicate file

But two .doc's with the same name but in different locations is seen as cloned/duplicate files - even if the content is quite different - at least as long as it KB-wise is the same size, - haven't tried with radically different sizes, but have tried with different number of characters in the files.

Therefore before deleting any cloned/duplicate files please check its content by right clicking on the cloned/duplicate files and click open and view the content before deleting it.

The safeguard of deleting it to the Recycle bin works as long as you do not empty the Recycle bin in a cleaning operation.

The conclusion is once again:

Be very, very careful before deleting any clone/duplicate files!

I find it useful in helping to find the same files that for one reason or another has been placed in different folders.

But always use caution!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. have now checked two .doc's with the same name, but radically different sizes (same document, but with most of the second file's content deleted), this wasn't seen as cloned/duplicate files

Hi detailer

I think it is duplicate files, this probably means that they have the same name and have the same number of characters in the file, - but perhaps not precisely the same characters and are placed at different locations.

We can check this.

I'll try to make two files with the same name and the same number of characters, but where one of the files talks about something quite different, and place those two files in different folders, then run Clone file Finder and check if it sees them as clones - then try it with a different extension .doc and .txt fx.

Cheers

solbjerg

• 7 months later...

Quick question about this topic

To me the definition of a clone file is a "duplicate" file at a different location. Clone File Finder will identify two files as clones but their data contents can be different. Is this a correct statement?

Hi, everyone. I understand the catastrophic effects if we use the Clone FInder tool and I want to do just that. :-o I just need to know if the "checked" files will be the ones deleted or the "unchecked." I couldn't find anything that told me as much.

Seriously, I have an external harddrive and have many, many dups of the same albums I need to clean up, not anything on my harddrive or to the TSA/Homeland Sec/NASA or the Tax Reform Bill. THough I think those could use a good de-cloning and let the chips fall where they may!

Good day and happy new year to all,

astargzr

Hi astargzr,

The checked ones will be deleted.

You can verify that as follows.

When no files are selected, if you check a checkbox of a file, the File Deletion button gets activated, otherwise Delete button is not functional.

Happy New Year to You too.

Cheers.

Hi julietteklonk!

Welcome to Iobit forum!

I'm intrigued and curious!

Which post did you find helpful and how did it help you?

We always strive here to better help one another so it would be a big help if you could describe how you were helped on this thread!

Thanx!!

Clone File Finder Tool

Points to bear in when cleaning duplicate files or cloned files they could delete system restore and back up files. but note these points too.

Over the years the DLL's change and become incompatible so you will sometimes find that the required DLL is also included within the applications 'Program Files' folder.

They do this because Windows will always search for a DLL firstly in the appropriate Program Files folder, then System32 then System.

If the Program Files 'duplicate' is removed because there is another version in System32 then it may stop the application from working.

Similarly, some cleaners remove empty files. Another mistake in some cases as some programs require files to be in existence and they get populated during runtime.

As well as DLL's, OCX's perform in a similar manner

Unable to get reply working on recent thread on cloned files so had to start a fresh topic.

Clone File Finder

:!: I'll tell you what I've been looking for, and I haven't found yet, is a duplicate file finder tool that will compare formats and say, "yes, these two files are the same, even though the formats are different", or something like "there's a 95% chance that these two are the same file". Not to say I haven't tried, I've searched using every combination of words I can think of, and I've tried inumerous duplicate file finding apps, all with no success.

I have downloaded thousands of pictures and ebooks, in many different formats, and I know that many of these files are duplicates. However, because the person originally uploading them either changed the formatting, or the format, or renamed them something completely different from the original title.

If anyone knows of such a search tool, I'd be eternally grateful to hear about it.

Thanks,

Dan

:!: I'll tell you what I've been looking for, and I haven't found yet, is a duplicate file finder tool that will compare formats and say, "yes, these two files are the same, even though the formats are different", or something like "there's a 95% chance that these two are the same file". Not to say I haven't tried, I've searched using every combination of words I can think of, and I've tried inumerous duplicate file finding apps, all with no success.

I have downloaded thousands of pictures and ebooks, in many different formats, and I know that many of these files are duplicates. However, because the person originally uploading them either changed the formatting, or the format, or renamed them something completely different from the original title.

If anyone knows of such a search tool, I'd be eternally grateful to hear about it.

Thanks,

Dan

yes so would i

its very hard to use one the fear being ,the ones i tried can see files as the same_yet have different data..

and following this with great interest..in some cases jp files .similar name-

size.yet different picture..

when redoing them .text files as already stated..

i gave this away .and sometimes just manuly rid files..and that is a very slow way of doing this--

my problem is when shifting -whole directory files ,and win asks keep the same file? or some are the same..?

and copy..(merge) instead of replace (overwrite)--sometimes .getting 2 of the same..

i know this sounds silly but i do this just in case..not overwrite files..

if thy are different..than i may lose one..

itsmejjj

My 2 Cents

After scanning with several tools designed for this purpose,I come up with thousands of files that actually account for only a few hundred MB's of data (space used).Looking at it from a "big picture" aspect,these numbers are negligible,and it doesn't seem to be worth the risk to reclaim this minute amount of space.

Delete Duplicate files

There are several tool to delete duplicate files in google search, i use a tool called duplicate finder 2009 for such aim it works and i think it will solve your problem too.

Find Here: Link removed. Members can find it by your description if they want to

Hi adrenial

The best clone finder tool is yourself!!!

No clone/duplicate finder tools are to be trusted 100% in my experience, but they are a help in finding what might be a bona fide clone/duplicate file. ALWAYS check if it is true for each and every file before deleting is my advice.

Cheers

solbjerg

There are several tool to delete duplicate files in google search, i use a tool called duplicate finder 2009 for such aim it works and i think it will solve your problem too.

Find Here: Link removed. Members can find it by your description if they want to

"Cloned Files"

I have just checked

It does not see the same file with different extensions as a cloned/duplicate file

But two .doc's with the same name but in different locations is seen as cloned/duplicate files - even if the content is quite different - at least as long as it KB-wise is the same size, - haven't tried with radically different sizes, but have tried with different number of characters in the files.

Therefore before deleting any cloned/duplicate files please check its content by right clicking on the cloned/duplicate files and click open and view the content before deleting it.

The safeguard of deleting it to the Recycle bin works as long as you do not empty the Recycle bin in a cleaning operation.

The conclusion is once again:

Be very, very careful before deleting any clone/duplicate files!

I find it useful in helping to find the same files that for one reason or another has been placed in different folders.

But always use caution!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. have now checked two .doc's with the same name, but radically different sizes (same document, but with most of the second file's content deleted), this wasn't seen as cloned/duplicate files

Thanks, that helped a lot.

• 5 years later...

Archived