IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

WIN 7 hater's post you opinion here why ?

itsmejjj

• 2 weeks later...

silearth- Welcome to the IObit Forums! Its great to hear that you like your new Dell Win 7 computer so much. I know what you mean about running stock Vista without any modifications. I had the same problems until I radically modified my Vista computer in what turned out to be the same areas of Modification that Microsoft worked on to develop Win 7 from the original Vista OS.

I also know what you mean when you say that it Win 7 is faster and more efficient than Vista because my computer now runs 40% faster and uses 300% less RAM than it did when I first got it! Instead of using a bloated 1.5 GB of RAM it now uses just less than 500 MB of RAM after a rigorous 17 hour day with much thanks to running the amazing IObit ASC 3 software.

With all of the changes that have been made in Win 7 it has turned out to be an excellent Operating System and perfect for those who don't care to take on Vista as a long term DIY project, but rather run the very effective improvements that have been incorporated into Windows latest and greatest Operating System!

~Maxx~

win7

I told myself that if Win 7 was going to be as bad as vista I would sell my pc's and get Mac..

MaxxWire - What all did you do to modify your vista, is there a site that I can go to so I can do it myself... I am running Vista 64bit on my desktop and want to make it better. I would appriciate any help I can get Thank you..

I also know what you mean when you say that it Win 7 is faster and more efficient than Vista because my computer now runs 40% faster and uses 300% less RAM than it did when I first got it! Instead of using a bloated 1.5 GB of RAM it now uses just less than 500 MB of RAM after a rigorous 17 hour day with much thanks to running the amazing IObit ASC 3 software.

Here's a screenshot from my 64bit Windows 7:

MaxxWire - What all did you do to modify your vista, is there a site that I can go to so I can do it myself..

As it turned out I discovered that I had made much more radical and invasive improvements in the same areas that Microsoft did when they were developing Win 7 from nearly baked Vista by reducing the number of programs that start, eliminating programs that use high amounts of CPU and RAM and especially by disabling all of unneeded services which started at 137 and ended up at 48. You might start by going to the Black Viper Website and checking out what services your Win Vista 64 bit might be able to do without. I would also recommend stopping the Sidebar feature which is such a significant resource hog that its absence can actually improve speeds in Vista and as it follows improve speeds in Win 7 also.

~Maxx~

*cough* indexing *cough*

Interesting that you should say that in that I had disabled indexing long ago, but I ran a program the other day which placed the Indexing Service back on Automatic and the amount of RAM required to boot Vista shot up 40 MB!

I see that your incredible Win 7 64 bit is sporting 8 GB of RAM making the 835 MB of RAM that it boots for account for a comparatively insignificant 10% of the available RAM and the 102 MB of Kernel Memory is quite svelte.

It makes me so happy to see that Microsoft finally paid enough attention to their OS to make it as light and fast as Win 7 turned out to be. Users shouldn't need to stay up late night after night month after month just to figure out ways of trimming an Operating System like Vista down to where it runs without Memory Leaks and flies like it could have been doing all along.

~Maxx~

Interesting that you should say that in that I had disabled indexing long ago, but I ran a program the other day which placed the Indexing Service back on Automatic and the amount of RAM required to boot Vista shot up 40 MB!

Yes, the Indexing Service uses quite a bit of RAM.

I see that your incredible Win 7 64 bit is sporting 8 GB of RAM making the 835 MB of RAM that it boots for account for a comparatively insignificant 10% of the available RAM and the 102 MB of Kernel Memory is quite svelte.

Now, this is after tweaking and tuning; as you can see in the screenshot, there are only 30 process running (as of right now: 29).

I do believe, if I can remember correctly, the out of the box installation requires something like 1.2-1.5GB of RAM.

Thank you

Thank you for the info Maxx, I will check out that site..

As it turned out I discovered that I had made much more radical and invasive improvements in the same areas that Microsoft did when they were developing Win 7 from nearly baked Vista by reducing the number of programs that start, eliminating programs that use high amounts of CPU and RAM and especially by disabling all of unneeded services which started at 137 and ended up at 48. You might start by going to the Black Viper Website and checking out what services your Win Vista 64 bit might be able to do without. I would also recommend stopping the Sidebar feature which is such a significant resource hog that its absence can actually improve speeds in Vista and as it follows improve speeds in Win 7 also.

~Maxx~

Now, this is after tweaking and tuning; as you can see in the screenshot, there are only 30 process running (as of right now: 29).

I do believe, if I can remember correctly, the out of the box installation requires something like 1.2-1.5GB of RAM.

danburrito- I was out and about today and I came across a display which had 4 Win 7 notebook computers running and I did a Task Manager Performance check on each of them and you were right they had a range of 1.1-1.7 GB of RAM in use and between 56 and 59 processes running!

Now I can more fully appreciate the excellent job that you have done in trimming down your Win 7 computer and boosting its efficiency by such a wide margin!

~Maxx~

sunny staines- Its great to hear about your Win 7 experience! Please keep your reports coming! I think we could use a dedicated Win 7 User's Experience thread and maybe you could start it off with relating some more of your positive Win 7 experiences and usage tips...

~Maxx~

Indexing begone

~Maxx~

Not only did I disable Indexing in Services I also stopprd my disk from being indexed. This can be reversed if you change your mind :smile:

This is how I did it on XP but I guess you can get there somehow on Vista and 7

• First turn off running software for a fuller result.

• Start

• My Computer

• Right click (C:) (or your main drive)

• Properties

• Untick Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast searching

• Apply

• Wait for a pop-up window that says Windows can't apply the change because the application is in use (or something like that) and click Yes to all

Then you can walk away and have a coffee or whatever, because.........

Note: It seems Windows must apply this to almost everything on the disk so it can take a long time.

My NetBook (C:) says Total size: 144 GB and Free space: 103 GB and this took almost 15 minutes to finish.

All the best, woz of oz

danburrito- I was out and about today and I came across a display which had 4 Win 7 notebook computers running and I did a Task Manager Performance check on each of them and you were right they had a range of 1.1-1.7 GB of RAM in use and between 56 and 59 processes running!

Now I can more fully appreciate the excellent job that you have done in trimming down your Win 7 computer and boosting its efficiency by such a wide margin!

~Maxx~

Thanks, Maxxwire!

The majority of credit goes to Charles at http://www.blackviper.com!

I came across his website about a year ago, when I was not satisfied with my newly acquired Windows Vista. His comprehensive list and actual explanation of what each service does and how they are intertwined (some of them) brought light to the dark of Windows' service section (at least for me! XD)

The rest is just years of tweaking, experimenting and simple trial and error (sometimes catastrophic) with various Windows versions over the years.

And... I've gotten to love my services.msc registry batch file.

P.S.: A good thing for tweaking is also the Task Scheduler section of Windows (in Vista, right after rebooting, my HDD would thrash for about 10 minutes or longer, until I found out after about 2 hours SystemRestore was the culprit, which ran as a task at startup - needless to say, it is the reason why it is completely turned off now)

Not only did I disable Indexing in Services I also stopped my disk from being indexed. This can be reversed if you change your mind :smile:

This is how I did it on XP but I guess you can get there somehow on Vista and 7.

Exactly! I did the same on my Vista computer and you are right that the process is reversible, but I don't see that in my computer's future as I never have used the Indexing feature so unindexing the hard disc and disabling Indexing in Services was a big bonus.

~Maxx~

Thanks, Maxxwire!

The majority of credit goes to Charles at http://www.blackviper.com!

I have gone to check out more Win 7 computers and found the same ~1.7 GB-1.8 GB range of RAM running according to Task Manager. I agree with you 100% that the Black Viper website has the very best source of information on Windows Services and using their recently updated BlackViper.com: Windows 7 Service Configurations to cut back unneeded services in Win 7 is the key to taming this high RAM usage as you have so deftly demonstrated by your fine example!

~Maxx~

Archived