IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

XP Service Pack 3 Access Denied & KB925877 Fixes

samr

If you try to install XP Service Pack 3 and come up with an "access denied" warning, save yourself some major headaches and click "abort" and read this article. I spent a whole evening trying to fix a failed installation.This fix took care of it:

http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-setup-error-access-is-denied/

(p.s.: Where it says to right click on file then "run as administrator", just click "open".)

samr.

OK, thank you

samr,

Thanks for the helpful info. I will try the fix at some time, but I got really frustrated with the whole thing. I first downloaded the XP SP3 update from Windows Update and 60MB was the file dump and downloaded fine but wouldn't install ( I didn't disable AVG Free, ZoneAlarm and Spyware Terminator). I tried with everything off ( risky) and no go. I then download the 316MB from Microsoft and got the "access denied" and got real worried about the of the updates went through and the possibilty of pc not running correctly. So far, pc runs fine, but I'm really pissed at Microsoft not clearier about about the thing, maybe product rushed out. I'm seenig alot people not too happy. Something told to wait......, oh well.

Hi Luckyvic,

Yeah, I had a real fun experience with it myself. But as soon as I ran this fix it went right in with no problems. I have seen that this has been really bad for several people updating to SP3. The problem seems to be that the update has to completely back up your registry & system files, rip them apart and put them back together. But there seems to be a problem with permissions on some registry keys. Running this fix changes the permissions on all the registry keys and allows SP3 to install with no problems. I just had to stick all the hair back in my head that I pulled out the first time I ran the update! I really hate seeing messages like " Service pack 3 partially installed. Windows may not function ". Makes me just a little uneasy.

samr.

hi Sam!

It would not install on my laptop either, but after waiting a bit it came up with that KB925877 was blocking the install and advised me to delete it. I did, and then ran the update once more, this time without a hitch.

I did not have any problem with my stationary computer.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Luckyvic,

Yeah, I had a real fun experience with it myself. But as soon as I ran this fix it went right in with no problems. I have seen that this has been really bad for several people updating to SP3. The problem seems to be that the update has to completely back up your registry & system files, rip them apart and put them back together. But there seems to be a problem with permissions on some registry keys. Running this fix changes the permissions on all the registry keys and allows SP3 to install with no problems. I just had to stick all the hair back in my head that I pulled out the first time I ran the update! I really hate seeing messages like " Service pack 3 partially installed. Windows may not function ". Makes me just a little uneasy.

samr.

Hi luckyvic,

I understand that with windows update, it will install only what you need. Many things in the full service pack 3 were already included in previous updates. Probably best to do the smaller from Windows update.

samr.

KB925877 Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) MUI Language Pack

FIX for KB925877 stubborn uninstall problem when installing XP sp3!!!

Hello guys,

I had the installation problem for SP3 in one of the laptops which have OSs nearly identical with XP Pro sp2s.

The problem was because of the istalled update KB925877 ["Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) MUI Language Pack for Windows XP"] in one of them.

But I don't understand why this update was in only one of them, since I have updated all of the optional updates in both of them.

The problem does not end there.

1) You can uninstall it if it is in your "Add or Remove Programs" and everything may go OK.

2) If it is not in your "Add or Remove Programs", you can uninstall it from:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB925877$\ folder and run spuninst.exe to remove it. The remove may not work!!!.

3) You may have deleted Windows uninstalls of updates to have more space in the disk. (CCleaner=> Clean=>check checkbox of "Hotfix Uninstallers" of "Advanced" option=>Analyze=>Run Cleaner) (My case.)

4) You may still have it in:

C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB925877\ folder and run spuninst.exe to remove it. The remove may not work!!!. (Not worked in my case.)

5) Reinstalling and uninstalling KB925877 may not work. (Not worked in my case.)

6) Then comes the last resort.

Go to the following item in Registry editor:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB925877

Export this reg. to where you like, to re-install it if something goes wrong.

At this point, it is advisable to make an Automated System Recovery in XP Pro.

Read this article (that samr has pointed out above) from Microsoft Help and support and the following articles ( 1 ,2 ,3 ) to do it.

For XP Home, please read this article:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302700

DELETE KB925877 all together from registry. (Worked in my case.)

7) Install SP3 for XP either from Windows_Update or from Microsoft .

8 ) In my case, the following update did not show in Windows Update in any of the newly installed XP sp3 laptops after installing SP3. (One with problem , one without a problem of SP3 installation.)

Install, Microsoft Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) "WindowsXP-KB942766-v6-x86-ENU.exe" from Microsoft .

I hope this is helpful to those who have the same problem that I had.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...
If you try to install XP Service Pack 3 and come up with an "access denied" warning, save yourself some major headaches and click "abort" and read this article. I spent a whole evening trying to fix a failed installation.This fix took care of it:

http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-setup-error-access-is-denied/

(p.s.: Where it says to right click on file then "run as administrator", just click "open".)

samr.

I tried doing that (the whole Subinacl.exe, sp3.bat thing). It didn't work for me. First I got a "directory not found" error on the first line:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

Then, I got "Program too big to fit in memory" when running subinacl.exe.

I had to run it from the dos prompt to see the errors. I really don't know what to do now...

Hello kab1976

Did you try removing KB925877 before installing?

Cheers

solbjerg

I tried doing that (the whole Subinacl.exe, sp3.bat thing). It didn't work for me. First I got a "directory not found" error on the first line:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

Then, I got "Program too big to fit in memory" when running subinacl.exe.

I had to run it from the dos prompt to see the errors. I really don't know what to do now...

Thanks Solbjerg for the advice. No, I haven't. I'm not even sure that KB925877 exists on my system, but I'll look into it. I have to work from home in two weeks, so I'm going to hold off SP3 until after that for fear of obliterating my system. Someone on another site was successful fixing the registry permissions using dial-a-fix. I just downloaded that and will try after my work is done. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Solbjerg for the advice. No, I haven't. I'm not even sure that KB925877 exists on my system, but I'll look into it. I have to work from home in two weeks, so I'm going to hold off SP3 until after that for fear of obliterating my system. Someone on another site was successful fixing the registry permissions using dial-a-fix. I just downloaded that and will try after my work is done. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

I did it! Dial-a-fix fixed it! Here are the steps:

(originally posted by Jacob on http://blog.malwareteks.com/correct-access-denied-error-while-installing-windows-xp-sp3-release-candidate-2/)

1: I downloaded a freeware program named “Dial a fix”….extracted the zip it on the desktop.

2: dbl clicked “dial-a-fix-full.exe” to start program.

3: In the lower right part of the “dial a fix” screen there is a hammer icon….clicked the hammer icon…and the tools window opens.

4: scrolled down to “repair permissions”….then clicked go……it takes a while.

5: When finished I closed “dial a fix” and installed SP3 with no issues.

Hi kab1976,

Thank you for the feedback that dial-a-fix is worked for you.

Anybody interested in that program, can find the link in this post.

Everybody,

Please be careful when using dial-a-fix as stated also by the users in the above mentioned forum that kab1976 gives a link, as "Dial-a-Fix by DjLizard is an advanced tool, and should only be used by experienced users.".

Please take a note of the following quote from DjLizard.

Also, due to a bug in Repair permissions, I recommend that all limited user accounts are temporarily upgraded to Administrator accounts before running it.

If you have any problems with it, please go to this forum.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
FIX for KB925877 stubborn uninstall problem when installing XP sp3!!!

Hello guys,

I had the installation problem for SP3 in one of the laptops which have OSs nearly identical with XP Pro sp2s.

The problem was because of the istalled update KB925877 ["Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) MUI Language Pack for Windows XP"] in one of them.

But I don't understand why this update was in only one of them, since I have updated all of the optional updates in both of them.

The problem does not end there.

1) You can uninstall it if it is in your "Add or Remove Programs" and everything may go OK.

2) If it is not in your "Add or Remove Programs", you can uninstall it from:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB925877$\ folder and run spuninst.exe to remove it. The remove may not work!!!.

3) You may have deleted Windows uninstalls of updates to have more space in the disk. (CCleaner=> Clean=>check checkbox of "Hotfix Uninstallers" of "Advanced" option=>Analyze=>Run Cleaner) (My case.)

4) You may still have it in:

C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB925877\ folder and run spuninst.exe to remove it. The remove may not work!!!. (Not worked in my case.)

5) Reinstalling and uninstalling KB925877 may not work. (Not worked in my case.)

6) Then comes the last resort.

Go to the following item in Registry editor:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB925877

Export this reg. to where you like, to re-install it if something goes wrong.

At this point, it is advisable to make an Automated System Recovery in XP Pro.

Read this article (that samr has pointed out above) from Microsoft Help and support and the following articles ( 1 ,2 ,3 ) to do it.

For XP Home, please read this article:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302700

DELETE KB925877 all together from registry. (Worked in my case.)

7) Install SP3 for XP either from Windows_Update or from Microsoft .

8 ) In my case, the following update did not show in Windows Update in any of the newly installed XP sp3 laptops after installing SP3. (One with problem , one without a problem of SP3 installation.)

Install, Microsoft Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) "WindowsXP-KB942766-v6-x86-ENU.exe" from Microsoft .

I hope this is helpful to those who have the same problem that I had.

Cheers.

ill try :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

@Everybody!

Thank you one and all for 'disecting' this issue! It is much appreciated! I have Windows 7 Home Premium sp1,do all of you think I should install 2 and then 3,or just 3? Thanks in advance.I simply don't know if updates past sp1 will be much of importance... :?

-Cowboy

Attention dv8cowboy!

Hi cowboy,

ATTENTION: THIS THREAD IS FOR WINDOWS XP and 4 years old. (Even Windows 7 Beta wasn't released for the public at that time. :lol:)

WINDOWS 7 has ONLY Service Pack 1 (sp1) as of today.

(FYI, if an installation of a service pack for Windows OS is concerned, all available ones should be installed in sequence, as there are prerequisited files of older ones in the new ones. [At least for the sake of security, if there exists sp1, sp2, sp3, etc. of a Windows OS, that OS should be updated to the latest one including all service packs.])

Cheers.

LOL!...@Enoskype

Thank you for that Eno,I was half asleep and NO coffee before I dove in!! My bad and apologies! ;-)

-Cowboy

Hi cowboy,

ATTENTION: THIS THREAD IS FOR WINDOWS XP and 4 years old. (Even Windows 7 Beta wasn't released for the public at that time. :lol:)

WINDOWS 7 has ONLY Service Pack 1 (sp1) as of today.

(FYI, if an installation of a service pack for Windows OS is concerned, all available ones should be installed in sequence, as there are prerequisited files of older ones in the new ones. [At least for the sake of security, if there exists sp1, sp2, sp3, etc. of a Windows OS, that OS should be updated to the latest one including all service packs.])

Cheers.