IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Diskeeper 2011

Lyon275

I've had great experience with Diskeeper. I wouldn't run a Windows system without it. I think the best feature is Diskeeper's ability to prevent NTFS file fragmentation from occuring in the first place. This gives you the performance benefit right when the file is being written to and greatly reduces file movement operations afterwards.

Hands down, Diskeeper is a keeper!!!

test procedure

Hi

It seems that the way they test the programs place some value on the programs interface and how easy the program is to use - and that is somewhat subjective I think.

I would like to see a test that showed how much time was saved by running a defragmentation of let's say at 5% fragmentation on a half filled disc of 100 Gb capacity for example.

And the actual time it took before the same level of fragmentation was reached again. Same test environment for all tested programs of course.

DisKeeper cost ~40$, Perfect Disk 25% less and Smartdefrag is free.

So I think that if I should choose a defragmenter that I had to pay for I would choose Perfect Disk (I think enoskype has tried them all and I remember him saying that he liked Perfect Disk best)

As I have the free SmartDefrag - I do not feel I need to pay anything to get my disks defragmented :-)

And I am grateful for that! :-) Thank you IObit!! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Tests are good, but if you're going to test then let's get more specific than just 5% fragmentation on a 100GB disk with 50% free space. I'm sure you would agree that a speed performance test would depend on whether you are accessing a fragmented file or not. Here's something I did a while back when testing on SSD's.

The attachement shows the performance as measured using ATTO Disk Benchmark with their test file in a fragmented state and then in an optimized (defragmented condition). Clearly there is a major difference in performance. How you decide to achieve this is a matter of personal choice.

To me, the prevention of fragmentation and the ability to run 24 by 7 protecting my system from the effects of fragmentation without the need to be manually launched or scheduled to avoid system resource contention makes Diskeeper my favorite solution.

Hi HowardB, welcome to IObit Forum! :grin:

Please see THIS post and the link there in Think about Defragmentation!!! thread.

It will be more fair if someone from the other company joins the discussions with you here in this thread, I think. :idea: :lol: :lol:

I don't think it is a good idea to have one sided promotion, specially in a forum of a company with a free defragmentation software. :wink:

All the best and cheers.

Tests are good, but if you're going to test then let's get more specific than just 5% fragmentation on a 100GB disk with 50% free space. I'm sure you would agree that a speed performance test would depend on whether you are accessing a fragmented file or not. Here's something I did a while back when testing on SSD's.

The attachement shows the performance as measured using ATTO Disk Benchmark with their test file in a fragmented state and then in an optimized (defragmented condition). Clearly there is a major difference in performance. How you decide to achieve this is a matter of personal choice.

To me, the prevention of fragmentation and the ability to run 24 by 7 protecting my system from the effects of fragmentation without the need to be manually launched or scheduled to avoid system resource contention makes Diskeeper my favorite solution.

Thanks howard for your opinition and test ....:lol:

I'm using trial right now , to tell you there is a performance improvement especially if you have large hdd..

I'm like it so far , but i dont want to talk about that on this forum....

Thanks howard,melvin , enoskype... for comments :smile:

All the best and CHeers :mrgreen:

Hi Howard

I need an explanation of the screenshots.

Also I would like to know the fragmentation in percentage.

What does the first coloumn refer to? (0.5 - 8192)

In the first window the shown transfer rate goes from 0 to 100 Mb per second - in the second it goes from 0 to 500 Mb per second - is that to be interpreted as the speed of transfer has risen more than 400%?

It isn't borne out by the In/Out numbers that generally show a very much lower percentage. (In the 0.5 row maximally 10% for read and less than that for write)

You say that the test was performed on a SSD - does that mean that you advocate defragmentation of a solid state disk?

I thought that the general consensus was that there was very little to be gained by defragging SSD and that it ultimatively shortened the lifespan of the SSD? Does DisKeeper defrag SSD's?

Actually the tests suggested by me were rather specific. (As I understand the word)

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived