IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

starting a game in safe mode

cmjf0013

I am HOPING this is the right section of the forums, if not, just, either move it or I can delete it, but its about a game, so it IS other software, so I'm assuming this is the right one.

I'm interested in starting my game HALO in safe mode, not the computer in safe mode, but the GAME, if I shut the computer down (I found out my accident) I can sometimes start it in safe mode, where it don't use all of the graphics card, but instead allows me to play ABSOLUTELY lag free, even online. and if I can learn to play games in safe mode, I can then get all my games to be lag free, or at least close to it, not to mention, its also easier on my machine.

thanks alot, and if I am posting in the wrong part, I'm sorry, I don't think I need to post my specs, I'm not asking for a lag remover or anything, just how to start the GAME in safe mode, not the computer.

PS: The game version I have is the portable version, not installed

Hi CJ!

I am HOPING this is the right section of the forums, if not, just, either move it or I can delete it, but its about a game, so it IS other software, so I'm assuming this is the right one.

I'm interested in starting my game HALO in safe mode, not the computer in safe mode, but the GAME, I shutif the computer down (I found out my accident) I can sometimes start it in safe mode, where it don't use all of the graphics card, but instead allows me to play ABSOLUTELY lag free, even online. and if I can learn to play games in safe mode, I can then get all my games to be lag free, or at least close to it, not to mention, its also easier on my machine.

thanks alot, and if I am posting in the wrong part, I'm sorry, I don't think I need to post my specs, I'm not asking for a lag remover or anything, just how to start the GAME in safe mode, not the computer.

PS: The game version I have is the portable version, not installed

You are posting in the correct section of the forum.:smile:

Please help me to understand this as I can't from your post.8-)

the computer down (I found out my accident) I can sometimes start it in safe mode
I don't understand if you are launching the HALO game while your OS is in safe mode or if Halo has some kind of safe mode?

If you are trying to find out how to launch your OS (windows) into safe mode on boot so that you can selectively launch HALO... on most machines this is achieved be repeatedly pressing and releasing the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up. Holding the F8 key down will work on some machines, but not all. If this is what you are doing, then you are doing something that gamebooster does but carrying it to a different pathway. (On a few machines it is the F10 key)

Just to be clear... (as we have not communicated so well in the past :wink:)

Your machine is off.

You press the power button.

You then begin pressing and releasing the F8 key until the safe mode appears.

If you are trying to launch some kind of safe mode within HALO, I am clueless as I am not a gamer. I only know that HALO is popular.

I do hope that my post is helpful.:?:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and Prosper!

Melvin_Deal

Seems clear me me by his comment "I'm interested in starting my game HALO in safe mode, not the computer in safe mode, but the GAME", the game is in safe mode not the OS.

I assume this starts the game with everything on minimum settings hence the better game performance.

You could probably get the same result by simply running the game normal and turning down all the video settings.

Posting in a Halo forum would also be a good idea.

Thank you masterblaser.

So CJ's question is:

"How do I start Halo in its "Safe" or "limited" mode?"

Quote by Me:

If you are trying to launch some kind of safe mode within HALO, I am clueless as I am not a gamer. I only know that HALO is popular.

Hi CJ... if masterblaster's suggestion doesn't help then his advisement concerning the HALO forum perhaps would offer the solution:

Posting in a Halo forum would also be a good idea.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

@Melvin_Deal, every bit of information I recieve by you is usefull information, and I know how to get the OS to boot in safe mode, I haave had it do it alot lol, but the GAME I need to do in safe mode

@Masterblaster, I have had everything down, I can play on the highest settings but I choose not to for the sake of my computer, but even if I turn ALL of the settings to the lowest, settings, Its not the same, it still uses all the graphics card, I'm thinking about trying to find this online, in the mean time, is there a gaming forum that you guys are a part of? or that I can join and find this out?

thank you for your time guys, I know I post alot, but with the help of Melvin_Deal, I'm hoping I am not getting as side tracked as before, and Melvin_deal, I'm sorry for our disagreement before :-(

I'm sorry, Melvin you posted before I finished my comment, and I will need to find a Halo forum, or gaming forum, maybe that would lead me down the right path. also, I have been using game booster when I am online, that helped ALOT with my internet, I am not sure if thats normal, but I believe you had been the one to suggest that :grin::mrgreen:

Well,

I am a hardcore gamer.

Personally I have never seen a "safe mode" in a game before so I am not sure what it does. Maybe it bypasses the GPU and runs the game at 640 X 480? It would sure look like crap.

I have Halo PC but uninstalled it long ago.

I also have GOW for PC which I also uninstalled.

Even though these are older games and I have a high-end gaming rig and they run so so. Both are console ports to the PC which is never good.

Google "Microsoft Halo PC forum". I'm sure you will find your answer there.

Maybe here..........

http://www.thehaloforum.com/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829471

Also read here.........

http://search.microsoft.com/en-US/results.aspx?qsc0=Microsoft&q=kb+halo+windows+performance&x=14&y=8

thank you master blaster, I will look into those right now, and graphics are bad in safe mode, BUT it don't lag, I'm not a graphics whore like the COD kids now adays, I am into GAMEPLAY, and halo is amazing lol, its not just a port though, it was made FOR pc, not like halo 2 lol, at least, thats the way I understood it

Just a remindrer.

Hi CJ.

Most members need you to tell them your system.:shock: Most members will not review your member specs... they will read the thread and post. So you should tell them that you have 512 mb RAM up front... they may be awed at how you can run some of the softwares that you do??

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

cmjf0013,

Your specs (some of them).

Processor Intel® Celron® M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz

Memory 502MB RAM

To be honest I don't see how you run much with this system.

I am sure Game Booster will help you but it will not perform a miracle.

You have an old, under powered system and you will need to be very selective on the games you play. If I were you, I would stick to older games and turn down the settings on each to minimum. That's what you playing in Safe Mode is doing.

Try going to this site http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

It will allow you to pick a game and it will analize your system to see if you can run that game.

lol, sorry melvin deal, yet again I forgot to mention that, I am runnign on that, but It only reads 502, but on halo, I am running almost everything on high, with very little lag lol, but I will check his thing out, I'm having internet problems right now, Not sure whats going on lol

Hi CJ.

RAM has been offered in increments of 256 mB since way back when... so I suspect you have two 256 mB cards. Which would total 512 mB's total. As I mentioned... you may be able to find a computer person with some spare parts around who will help you out. It is a simple thing to upgrade your RAM. Just plug it in. Even just recently (as an example) a 2 Gig card would have 8 256 mB chips on it. Now the cards have 4 512 Mb chips to get to the two Gigs.

This is why it is important when you open a thread to say something like, by the way I have 512mB's RAM, or Please see my Spec's within my user control panel. Otherwise the members will spend their time and energy unaware of your system limitations... and offer advisements that are inappropriate.

Don't be :twisted: at Toppack... his advisement is often to upgrade as he is able. I do note your :lol:.

This seems like another very sound advisement by masterblaster:

Try going to this site http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

It will allow you to pick a game and it will analize your system to see if you can run that game.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Don't be :twisted: at Toppack... his advisement is often to upgrade as he is able. I do note your :lol:.

Hey, YOU are the one he should be :evil: At,

for Telling the Whole-World about his Deficiency. :lol:

He knows I was Joking!

Everyone Needs to Upgrade NOW! :!:

I won't Mind if you have a Better computer than I Do! :lol:

Hi Toppack!

CJ has already been :twisted: at me. We are doing our best to communicate more effectively.

It is water under the bridge!!!:-D My post was a gentle reminder of the water that has already passed. masterblaster was possibly guided to better advisement.

It is a task to steady the boat.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

[EDIT] Dang it Toppack!:razz::razz: I was talking abot DDR2 configuration.. which is not what CJ has because of the age of his machine. I am right about the slots and cards though as well as the mathematics.

This title makes no sense

CJ has already been :twisted: at me. We are doing our best to communicate more effectively.

It is water under the bridge!!!:-D My post was a gentle reminder of the water that has already passed. masterblaster was possibly guided to better advisement.

It is a task to steady the boat.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

[EDIT] Dang it Toppack!:razz::razz: I was talking abot DDR2 configuration.. which is not what CJ has because of the age of his machine. I am right about the slots and cards though as well as the mathematics.

lol, I wasn't :evil: at him, I was:twisted:, I hope I didn't confuse the 2, I meant like, heeh, they have NO clue what they are buying lol

also, I wanted to apologize to Melvin_Deal

I'm sorry Melvin, I was asked not to discuss it but I'm sure they would be ok with me saying this, I'm sorry for acting like I did, I felt I had been wronged, but now that I think about it, I believe I may have wronged YOU...

Will you forgive me?

oh yea, and for now on, at the end of my posts in new threads where I'm asking for advice, I will state my specs, I didn't think I would need them here, also one last thing, I have TRIED to use that site SEVERAL times, I was recomemded that from a friend, but it won't download the thing I have to download to check the system, any idea why that is?

lol, I wasn't :evil: at him, I was:twisted:, I hope I didn't confuse the 2, I meant like, heeh, they have NO clue what they are buying lol

also, I wanted to apologize to Melvin_Deal

I'm sorry Melvin, I was asked not to discuss it but I'm sure they would be ok with me saying this, I'm sorry for acting like I did, I felt I had been wronged, but now that I think about it, I believe I may have wronged YOU...

Will you forgive me?

Hi CJ!

You are correct concerning the smiley's... I wasn't paying attention...:-D

Toppack was correct as well... I went off talking about DDR2 memory when yours is most likely not. Thats why I said Dang it to Toppack.

As I said... it is water under the bridge.:mrgreen:

You taught me to Moderate myself a bit more... I taught you to be a little more careful and thorough in your posting. So we learn from each other.8:)

Now back to topic...

As your RAM is the greatest limiting factor in your system (and will affect most everything you are doing), in order to get the best possible advisement from the members... perhaps you should consider some kind of notification in your Signature in your user Control Panel so that you don't have to type it over and over. You can make it humorous if you wanna... something like "My machine is a dinosaur, but I'm not!! Please see my specs." This is only a suggestion.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi CJ!

You are correct concerning the smiley's... I wasn't paying attention...:-D

Toppack was correct as well... I went off talking about DDR2 memory when yours is most likely not. Thats why I said Dang it to Toppack.

As I said... it is water under the bridge.:mrgreen:

You taught me to Moderate myself a bit more... I taught you to be a little more careful and thorough in your posting. So we learn from each other.8:)

Now back to topic...

As your RAM is the greatest limiting factor in your system (and will affect most everything you are doing), in order to get the best possible advisement from the members... perhaps you should consider some kind of notification in your Signature in your user Control Panel so that you don't have to type it over and over. You can make it humorous if you wanna... something like "My machine is a dinosaur, but I'm not!! Please see my specs." This is only a suggestion.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I'll do that right now, maybe then it will make sence to other ppl lol, and thanks Melvin, I feel like I may have gotten some stuff on this computer working best using yalls information, and I admit, I'm young, I have ALOT to learn, not to mention, not for not for sympathy or anything, but I have a condition thats similar to to adhd, so its VERY hard for me to stay on topic alot, that is why I'm glad your have helped me, maybe I can learn more than just computer stuff from you, now as for the my signature..

I think I am going to put my full specs, and then give THIS information "as you can see, there are calculators with better specs than this thing!"

I have to get the information for my computer off of my IObit forum profile, I got this error code when I ran "dxdiag", this is the resulting error cod, I have NO clue what it is...

Error: Could not get basic sound information., result code = 0x80070057 (Invalid Argument(s))

I don't know what this is, Its NEVER happened before well thats weird, it still pulled up the page it was supposed to pull up, but the error code happened 4 times.

Lol!

"as you can see, there are calculators with better specs than this thing!"
That's a good one!!:mrgreen:

Ahhh... to be young again... enjoy it while you got it!! I still feel young... that is until I look in a mirror!:shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

what do you think of that error code btw?

It appears that the latest DirectX driver updates, from Microsoft, may not be compatible with XP OS.

My guess is that Microsoft is giving you a gental-Nudge toward installing Windows-7. :lol:

BTW- there's No need to send your XP disk to the Museum, they have more than enough of those already. :lol:

(they do make fairly good Coasters, to sit your beer on, though) :lol:

Another possibility.

It could be a bad install of Directx as well. I would suggest you run a scannow first to check your system files. To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

"sfc /scannow" then press enter.

This will start the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived