IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.18

usefullll

Why is Java always the last to know

While we are on the subject, maybe someone has an answer for this puzzle.

I have Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_17 so when I saw this update I decided to do an experiment because I have noticed this before.

• I launched the fantastic JavaRA and checked for the update but was told I was up to date.

• I launched Secunia and was told everything was up to date.

• I went to Control Panel > Java and checked for an update but was told I was up to date. (I have auto update turned off so I had to click Update Now)

Why doesn't Java know it has been updated :?: :roll:

All the best, woz of oz

JavaRa doesn't know that JRE has been updated because Sun decided to spead the pressure on their servers a little bit. So they first put the update on their server and downloadpage and you kan download this update manually using the second option on the update-screen of JavaRa (Update Using Sun Java's Website). After a while - possibly when larger companies have updated - Sun decides that auto-updates can be possible and the first option of the update-screen of JavaRa (Update Using jucheck.exe) will start to work.

Thanks for the info

JavaRa doesn't know that JRE has been updated because Sun decided to spead the pressure on their servers a little bit. So they first put the update on their server and downloadpage and you kan download this update manually using the second option on the update-screen of JavaRa (Update Using Sun Java's Website). After a while - possibly when larger companies have updated - Sun decides that auto-updates can be possible and the first option of the update-screen of JavaRa (Update Using jucheck.exe) will start to work.

I see, thanks for the answer :smile:

Update Using Sun Java's Website

Why does that send a shiver down my spine ? :lol:

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks Fred

Hi Fred,

First I would like to thank you, for your RA product line, they have a permanent place in my tool box. Secondly the knowledge and expertise you bring to this forum is much appreciated. Your explanation to Okies question regarding Java updates is something I have wondered about for a while and now no more head scratching. Again thank you, for joing us here.

A.T.

EDIT: A.T., I think wozofoz's question about Java update.:roll:

To remove all the redundant versions of JRE (and to remove countless of leftovers of these) you could use RaProduct's JavaRa.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post a link here as I'm the designer of this program.

first of all thanks for the post--and happy to try out.JavaRa. is this the

remover?

and thanks for the small app as well very fast -and cleaned beautifully on win 7

itsmejjj

Enoskype,

My comment was with regard to the uninstall of Java. When you use JavaRa, you are given two options of updating, sometimes when you know there is an update the jucheck.exe function shows you have the latest version and the update from the Sun website shows a new version available. I have also run into the problem when I have done a Secunia scan showing update available and then run jucheck.exe to find I have the latest version. Fred's explanation cleared up a question I've had for sometime.

A.T.

JavaRA Screenshots

Here are some screenshots of JavaRA in case they are of assistance to anyone:

• JavaRa cleans redundant versions of JRE (via the button 'Remove Older Versions')

• Click Remove Older Versions

• After the search for Older Versions is complete click OK to read the logfile:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3902&d=1263633904

The log file looks something like this:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3903&d=1263633924

• JavaRa cleans useless leftovers of JRE (via the button 'Additional Tasks' > 'Remove Useless JRE Files')

• Click Additional Tasks

• Select (tick) the tasks you want done

• Click Go

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3904&d=1263633938

If you select Open JavaRA Logfile then after the Additional Tasks are completed you will be presented with the logfile which looks something like this:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3905&d=1263633961

All the best, woz of oz

@ enoskype: JavaRa does both:

• JavaRa cleans redundant versions of JRE (via the button 'Remove Older Versions')

• JavaRa cleans useless leftovers of JRE (via the button 'Additional Tasks' > 'Remove Useless JRE Files')

Yes Fred,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but JavaRa does not uninstall the existing last version on the PC.

As far as I understand, itsmejjj asked to uninstall the existing Java.:!:

Cheers.

Hi itsmejjj,

You have to use JavaRa to get rid of the clutter of Java.

Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall the Java, then use JavaRa.

Do you read other threads and posts itsmejjj?:-P all the time...

Cheers.

(As far as I understand, itsmejjj asked to uninstall the existing Java.) yes this is what i want to know..

i try hard to follow a thread not always understanding you just answered half my ask.(thanks)

my ask is, need to rid it

completely ..the one inbuilt my MS is what i am asking about..before i install

a new one .i do not want any left behind from the older program..

and the 2nd thing is will this uninstall any new ones as well?

lets asume i install the latest one ,then decide i do not want it ..is what i ask..itsmejjj

wozofoz thanks for your work on this..

Hi itsmejjj,

To completely get rid of it:

1) Uninstall the most recent with Add or Remove from Control Panel.

2) Use JavaRa, to get rid of all the leftovers.

3) JavaRa will not uninstall the most recent installed Java in your PC.

after the above procedure, I would install the most recent Java 1.6.0_18, and then use JavaRa again to clean if there is any leftover.

I hope it is clear now.:smile:

Cheers.

Think JJJ means to keep?

I think JJJ wants to keep his newest old version in storage, but remove the remnants of the other old versions. Then get the newest and try it.

If he doesn't like it, then he will have the option of reverting back to the newest old version as it will be in storage,

Don't think he wants to completely be rid of all the old versions and their remnants right away until he evaluates the newest version. Only to be rid of all the previous versions and their remnants, with the exception of his newest old version which he is still running, as he has not yet gotten the newest version.

Not sure if this helps or not!!!

Old Java Versions

The site OldApps @ [noparse]www.oldapps.com/java.php[/noparse] has old Java versions for download.

I would check that the dowload works first :wink:

Note: I don't know how far back in versions you can go and still have Java run properly.

I'm sure Fred is the best person for this info :smile:

So jjj, you could:

• Download the latest version Java 1.6.0_18

• Downlad the old version that is on your computer now from OldApps

• Go to Add and Remove Programs and un-install Java from your computer

• Run JavaRA to clean up any leftovers

• Do any other cleanups you would normally do after un-installing software (Registry clean etc)

• Install the latest version Java 1.6.0_18

• Run JavaRA to clean up any unnecessary stuff

• Test Java 1.6.0_18

If for some reason you wanted to go back to the old version (I can't think why you would, but...)

• Go to Add and Remove Programs and un-install Java from your computer

• Run JavaRA to clean up any leftovers

• Do any other cleanups you would normally do after un-installing software (Registry clean etc)

• Install the old version you downloaded from OldApps

• Run JavaRA to clean up any unnecessary stuff

All the best, woz of oz

first of all thank you all for the help-beautifully .posted and understand what options i have now, Melvin_Deal yes ,that is what i want to do ...

wozofoz i have copied this to my store drive ,for reference and thank you.

enoskype thank you also .

you are truly nice people.who give there time and help fellow members.

itsmejjj

Archived