IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

boot time defrag problem

It wasn't the first time that it worked, but ok, maybe it didn't need to defrag anything ..it's just that there are unmovable files sitting at the middle of the platter and the rest is at the beginning of it, so I figured that it needed to be defraged.

Hi mmsandi

Hi mmsandi,

I recommend you check the boot time defrag method settings at first. You can go there by SD V2>>Settings>>Boot Time Defrag. As the default method is boot time defrag at every 7 day first boot.:roll:

Hi mmsandi

What you call the beginning of the platter corresponds to the outer rim of the disk, which is the place where the reading head picks up information at it's fastest due to the fact that about half of the information contained on a disk is located on the outer 1/3 part of the radius of the disk.

(physical nature of the area of a circle - actually it is pi*r² opposed to pi*½r² which yields the result that the outer half radius of the area of the disk contains 3/4 of the data area of the disk)

The unmovables are just that and according to the school of thought used here the middle of the drive should be the best place for this kind of data.

Please read enoskype's thread "Think about defragmentation"

Cheers

solbjerg

It wasn't the first time that it worked, but ok, maybe it didn't need to defrag anything ..it's just that there are unmovable files sitting at the middle of the platter and the rest is at the beginning of it, so I figured that it needed to be defraged.

Hi mmsandi

What you call the beginning of the platter corresponds to the outer rim of the disk,

Solbjerg,

Does the Top of block-Graph represent the Outer rim of First disk?

(modern hard-drives have more than one disk (platter) in them.)

(I opened a damaged 2.TB drive recently and it had 4 double-sided disks, for total of 8 platters.)

So from the block-graph, I don't think there is a way to tell where one disk stops and another begins, correct?

I've always wondered about that.

Of course, with the small modern drives file placement is not as critical as it was with Older and Larger disk drives.

Hi Toppack

Actually I am not sure, but I would suspect that all the outer rims are depicted as the start of the platter, to my mind it would be logical.

I think that today we have maybe several reading heads on every arm that goes between the harddisk plates, which perhaps could make the placement philosophy somewhat obsolete, but I am not certain - just speculation on my part.

The outer rim speed is still the greatest though, no way around that - exept perhaps Solid State Disks (SSD).

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg,

Does the Top of block-Graph represent the Outer rim of First disk?

(modern hard-drives have more than one disk (platter) in them.)

(I opened a damaged 2.TB drive recently and it had 4 double-sided disk, for total of 8 platters.)

So from the block-graph, I don't think there is a way to tell where one disk stops and another begins, correct?

I've always wondered about that.

Of course, with the small modern drives file placement is not as critical as it was with Older and Larger disk drives.

Archived