IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Supported file systems?

Exactly what do you mean by "File systems"?

Do you mean which 'Operating systems', (such as Windows, Apple, Unix, Linux, etc.)

Or are you asking about 'File types'? (such as Compressed, encripted, etc.)

Or are you asking about storage Drives 'File system', (such as FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc.)

I'm sure IObit would Appreciate any and all validated Test-Results for all those. ;-) :lol:

Hi prince and Toppack

As I understood it - it was about FAT 16-FAT 32 or NTFS?

FAT16 is very old, FAT32 more than 10 years old (I think I converted my FAT32 into NTFS when I used Windows98se back in the late nineties.

In FAT16 a 1 Kb file would take up a cluster space of 16 kb and you could end up having a harddisk that said it was full even though less than half the actual space was filled.

Much the same goes for FAT32

This is probably why they changed the system to NTFS (New Technology File System) where we have 4 Kb clusters and where a file of only 1 Kb or less may get stored in the MFT. (Master File Table)

So the need for FAT16 and for FAT32 in the usual current computer evironment is only for very specialized purposes (FAT→File Allocation Table) - like keeping very old files incapable of running as NTFS files on your computer, able to do so in a special partition.

Do you have a need for that prince?

Cheers

solbjerg

Exactly what do you mean by "File systems"?

Do you mean which 'Operating systems', (such as Windows, Apple, Unix, Linux, etc.)

Or are you asking about 'File types'? (such as Compressed, encripted, etc.)

Or are you asking about storage Drives 'File system', (such as FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc.)

I'm sure IObit would Appreciate any and all validated Test-Results for all those. ;-) :lol:

Hey, solbjerg!

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.

Actually, Windows XP can be installed on a drive formatted with FAT32 file system. Another question is exFAT used on some USB drives.

And I am so sorry this info is not available in SD2's system requirements.

Hi prince

I have looked for it too, but haven't found that particular information yet.

I did see though what Operating Systems that was supported, and that made me think that NTFS was the most probable - it may support FAT32 in some instances perhaps. Actually I think I have come across the file system setup information at some time, but I am not sure and can't remember where it might have been unfortunately - I have looked in those for me obvious places - system information and the like. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey, solbjerg!

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.

Actually, Windows XP can be installed on a drive formatted with FAT32 file system. Another question is exFAT used on some USB drives.

And I am so sorry this info is not available in SD2's system requirements.

Hi enoskype

Thanks! That should settle it :-)

Now we only need to know how the defragmenting works in a mixed environment :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi guys,

I have used it on FAT32, NTFS, and exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) systems.

Cheers.

• 8 months later...

Microchip’s Memory Disk Drive (MDD) file system interface library brings the ability to transfer and share portable memory devices between and embedded system and a personal computer. The MDD library provides a method to read and/or write to these storage devices through a microcontroller. The data of these storage devices can be read by a PC, and the data written by a PC can be read by a microcontroller. Most operating systems (i.e., Windows® XP) support the FAT16 and FAT32 file systems.

Features of Microchip’s memory disk drive file system:

Based on ISO/IEC 9293 specifications

Provides a method of interfacing to files and directories on FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 file systems

FAT16 and FAT32 allow access to up to 2 gigabytes and 2 terabytes of memory, respectively

- FAT 16 standard used for most SecureDigital (SD) cards, CompactFlash® (CF) cards and MMCs MultiMedia Cards sized below 2 gigabytes (GBs)

- FAT32 standard can be used to address memory sized between 2 gigabytes and 2 terabytes

Most popular file system with SD cards, CF cards and USB thumb drives

Hardware evaluation supported by PICtail Plus® SD & MMC Daughter Card (AC164122) and USB PICtail Plus Daughter Card (AC164131)

MDD file system library supports the 8-bit PIC18 devices as well as the 16-bit PIC24F, PIC24H, dsPIC30 and dsPIC33 devices and 32-bit PIC32 devices

Archived