IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

wish automatic restart after defrag.

Why would you use restart after defragmentation? To fragment the disk again?

SD 2.2 has Shut down, Hibernate and Sleep functions after defrag.

I really would lke to know the use of restart after defrag. :roll:

BTW, I wouldn't oppose an extra function of Restart after defrag for the users who want it though.

Cheers.

As Enoskype points out... restarting after defragmenting serves no purpose. If you are thinking that restarting somehow "finalizes" a defragmentation, you are incorrect!:wink: When Smart Defrag finishes running, the defragmentation is complete. The options are available so that if you want to start defragmentation, and then perhaps leave or go to sleep, you can have the computer left in the state you would want it.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi riow

Why not just let the program close the computer after a defrag and then you just start the computer next time you need to use it??

Cheers

solbjerg

Since the HP win7 is unstable and need restart sometimes, and the defragmentation is unattended after clicking defrag, I would just like to restart after defrag.

Hi riow

I think it should be possible to configure a restart after defrag. Let's say that you have chosen in the program to run a defrag once a week - say Sunday at 12:00.

Then go to Windows scheduled tasks and choose to do a restart of the computer every Sunday at 12:30 or possibly at 13:00

That way you will have a newly defragged machine that have just been restarted when you get back from your midday meal. :-)

Go to Control Panel | Scheduled Tasks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Click or double-click Add Scheduled Task to launch the Scheduled Task Wizard.<o:p></o:p>

Click Next and then click the Browse button.<o:p></o:p>

Access the Windows\System32 folder, select Shutdown.exe, and click Open.<o:p></o:p>

Follow the wizard through the next two screens to give the task a name and choose a schedule.<o:p></o:p>

Enter your user account name and password and click Next.<o:p></o:p>

Select the Open Advanced Properties check box and click Finish.<o:p></o:p>

In the task's Properties dialog box, add the /rparameter to the end of the command line in the Run text box and click OK. (Remember to include a space between the last character in the command name and the first character in the parameter list.)<o:p></o:p>

Enter your user account name and password and click OK.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. if the defrag by you takes more than 1 hour select a scheduled restart that takes this into account!!

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

because the computer is specially configured for win media centre to record scheduled tv at any time which needs staying in standby mode rather in a power off state.

Hi solbjerg, thanks for the very detailed instructions of creating scheduled tasks. I cannot do this because I noticed that there're some TV programs which will be re-published by TV stations for several times daily even at midnight without notification of schedule changes. Ms Media Center will automatically record those repeated programs with the same program name unexpectedly in a serial recording programs manner. If a tv program is recording in progress and the pc is restarted, I'm afraid the file system or the hdd may be somehow corrupted. That's why I can only manually control a restart time during the available time without tv program recording.

Hi riow

No way around the manual approach then :-)

I like that better anyway :-)

With all that automatic downloading - how are your available space doing?

How do you choose between good programs and drivel automatically?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, thanks for the very detailed instructions of creating scheduled tasks. I cannot do this because I noticed that there're some TV programs which will be re-published by TV stations for several times daily even at midnight without notification of schedule changes. Ms Media Center will automatically record those repeated programs with the same program name unexpectedly in a serial recording programs manner. If a tv program is recording in progress and the pc is restarted, I'm afraid the file system or the hdd may be somehow corrupted. That's why I can only manually control a restart time during the available time without tv program recording.

Sounds good, but I'd used such kind of s/w a long time ago, and i don't want to rely on them which occupy system resources. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

What is s/w? The SmartRam software releases/frees system resources. How long ago is a long time ago?

This is a nonsensical! Can you please elaborate or explain?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Since the HP win7 is unstable and need restart sometimes, and the defragmentation is unattended after clicking defrag, I would just like to restart after defrag.

The automatic restart you are looking for would interrupt this all anyway! Whether or not it is automatic is irrelevant! The restart would interrupt whether or not you pushed the button or the software did!

If your machine is unstable and you are finding yourself "needing" to restart sometimes, then you have problems having nothing to do with defragmentation!

In fact it sounds like you have internal system problems! Or Malware infection... or a clogged system (too much junk)... or too many background processes (start-up manager)... or etc.!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived