IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD doesn't defragment.

Hello, I have a little problem (big problem) and I hope somebody help me.

Some days ago, I installed Smart Defrag 2.3, because it's a good defragment tool. Then I defragmented my hard driver (C for System files and Programs) No problem. But the problem is defragmenting the D partition, (with 100gb), (with 23gb of free space).

*Images are at the end of this post*

The problem is I have "No Space" (Sin Espacio)... I do not know why I get this problem, because I have 23 gb Free (23% minimum 15% not?)

I have tryed deleting some heavy programs/files but nothing happened, I also used checkdisk, but no errors was found.

Sorry if I am not writing so well, but I would somebody help me to solve this problem. Thanks.

Hi nico

When running the defrag operation - did you then select first C:\ for defragment and then only D:\ ?

If you really have 23% free space on D: there should not be any problem.

What kind of settings do you have concerning the size of files chosen for defragment?

If all settings are correct - then I would try a Clean Install of the program.

Remember to clean the program folder too.

Please send feedback!

Thank you!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello, I have a little problem (big problem) and I hope somebody help me.

Some days ago, I installed Smart Defrag 2.3, because it's a good defragment tool. Then I defragmented my hard driver (C for System files and Programs) No problem. But the problem is defragmenting the D partition, (with 100gb), (with 23gb of free space).

Here are some problem's photos.

After analize

>>image<<

After defragment

>>image<<

Well I have it in spanish, but the problem is "No Space" (Sin Espacio)... I do not know why I get this problem, because I have 23 gb Free (23% minimum 15% not?)

I have tryed deleting some heavy programs/files but nothing happened, I also used checkdisk, but no errors was found.

Sorry if I am not writing so well, but I would somebody help me to solve this problem. Thanks.

Hi nico364,

We can't see the photos.

Please kindly re-send the photos.

Guide for attachments in the forum: http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=39230&postcount=12.

Just copy the url :-P I don't know why aren't shown. I can't upload images with the forum tool, because are TOO BIG :-? 700x300 I need.

Hi nico

When running the defrag operation - did you then select first C:\ for defragment and then only D:\ ?

If you really have 23% free space on D: there should not be any problem.

What kind of settings do you have concerning the size of files chosen for defragment?

If all settings are correct - then I would try a Clean Install of the program.

Remember to clean the program folder too.

Please send feedback!

Thank you!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, yes, first I drag my C:\ only, then D:\ only

Skip files larger than * is disable.

I did a clean install, after format C:\ by mistake (SD is installed in C:\)

Problem continues... but thank you for answer :D

Hi nico364,

In other words, since all clusters are partly occupied by files/part of the files, you can not see the empty parts of the clusters.

In the light of the information Cicely provided, my advice would be to move some of the very large files such as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood to another disk (fx. disk C:) (you may see some empty clusters at that stage), defragment-only disk D: (you will see more empty clusters) and then move the previously moved files to D: again. (You will probably see ~20-23 GB part of the disk D: empty then)

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Good call - from the information we are able to see.

@ nico

It is possible to save the defragmentation report and then attach it in your post, in case some other of your large files doesn't have enough contiguous free space to afford the possibility of a full defragmentation.

By the way bear in mind that the ~1000 small squares represents 100 GB disk space in your D:\ drive, i.e. about 100 MB per square, so that some squares may only hold a few KB or MB of fragments.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi nico364,

In other words, since all clusters are partly occupied by files/part of the files, you can not see the empty parts of the clusters.

In the light of the information Cicely provided, my advice would be to move some of the very large files such as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood to another disk (fx. disk C:) (you may see some empty clusters at that stage), defragment-only disk D: (you will see more empty clusters) and then move the previously moved files to D: again. (You will probably see ~20-23 GB part of the disk D: empty then)

Cheers.

Hi nico364,

When there is no continuous cluster to defrag, Smart Defrag will show "No Space". That does not mean there is no free space.;-)

Hi nico364,

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Good call - from the information we are able to see.

@ nico

It is possible to save the defragmentation report and then attach it in your post, in case some other of your large files doesn't have enough contiguous free space to afford the possibility of a full defragmentation.

By the way bear in mind that the ~1000 small squares represents 100 GB disk space in your D:\ drive, i.e. about 100 MB per square, so that some squares may only hold a few KB or MB of fragments.

Cheers

solbjerg

Cool, now I understand, thanks, I will try this now!

Well, this is so interesting, after moving all these files (from C: to D:) I can see some more "clusters" and it works, now the wonderful defragmentation tool perfectly ordered my D:\ disk... I had some problems with System Volume Information folder but is all right now. Thanks, you all were helpful ;) and I see that everything is logic :P

SD not defragmenting for me either

I just started using SD v2.3 both at home and at in the office. In both places, I am having the same problem: I still have lots of widespread fragmentation (over 9%) no matter how many times I run it. I've looked through earlier postings in this thread and saw mention of removing the checkmark from the "skip files larger than..." setting. I looked and it was already unchecked and there are no entries in the "Exclude List". Setting the virtual memory paging file to zero also has no affect. What am I missing?

I still have lots of widespread fragmentation (over 9%) no matter how many times I run it. ?

Are you running 'Defrag' Only or 'Defrag with Optimize'?

(try it with Optimize, it takes a great deal of time but does much more complete defrag)

Do you have several large drives or partitions with large amounts of data?

I've found that it helps to defrag them 'one at a time',

Evidently SD or Windows runs out of work-space somewhere, when doing very Large amounts of data?

A screen-shot of what you are seeing, when 2nd SD Analysis finishes, may be helpful.

I just started using SD v2.3 both at home and at in the office. In both places, I am having the same problem: I still have lots of widespread fragmentation (over 9%) no matter how many times I run it. I've looked through earlier postings in this thread and saw mention of removing the checkmark from the "skip files larger than..." setting. I looked and it was already unchecked and there are no entries in the "Exclude List". Setting the virtual memory paging file to zero also has no affect. What am I missing?

Hi Shadowhawk176, see my attachments and see endoskype post...

If you have the same problem, just take your fragmented folders/files, move them to another hard disk and defragment the old file location. Then move those files back to their place :lol:...

Archived