IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Speed Test benchmark: SD 3 vs Perfectdisk 13

Hi.

In my personal laptop I had PerfectDisk Professional 13.0.783 for several months.

For my 2 work computers I have being using SD since version 2, And version 3 really is a BIG improvement from 2.

Since SD 3 introduced a new defrag engine and algorithms, I decided to uninstall PD and install SD3 also on my personal laptop.

After that I did a Defrag and prioritize files for all my local drives (C,D) and my 3 external HDD.

I use Zentimo to manage my USB devices, and this program has one neat feature to benchmark the speed of the EHDD and USB Flash drives.

I stored a speed test to my drives when I had PD 13 (and after letting PD13 do what it's supposed to do), now I decided to do a speed test again but after SD3 has done the defrag & prioritze and after 3 days since installed (allowing some automatic defrags and one boot time defrag).

Here are the results and they are interesting:

With PerfectDisk 13

OEM Ext Hard Disk USB Device

IomegaEHDD1TB (F:), 930.8*GB "NTFS"

Type of file Speed of reading Speed of writing

Small files (32.0*KB): 17.74*MB/s 5.96*MB/s

Medium files (3.0*MB): 41.25*MB/s 15.08*MB/s

Large files (100.0*MB): 50.13*MB/s 22.91*MB/s

With SmartDefrag 3

OEM Ext Hard Disk USB Device

IomegaEHDD1TB (F:), 930.8*GB "NTFS"

Small files (32.0*KB): 8.17*MB/s 10.24*MB/s

Medium files (3.0*MB): 33.41*MB/s 18.25*MB/s

Large files (100.0*MB): 52.93*MB/s 28.84*MB/s

With PerfectDisk 13

ADATA HV620 USB Device

ADATA HV620 (G:), 1.8*TB "NTFS"

Small files (32.0*KB): 59.91*MB/s 14.57*MB/s

Medium files (3.0*MB): 78.05*MB/s 30.38*MB/s

Large files (100.0*MB): 102.76*MB/s 93.72*MB/s

With SmartDefrag3

ADATA HV620 USB Device

ADATA HV620 (G:), 1.8*TB "NTFS"

Small files (32.0*KB): 21.14*MB/s 20.04*MB/s

Medium files (3.0*MB): 75.96*MB/s 68.54*MB/s

Large files (100.0*MB): 98.01*MB/s 97.45*MB/s

With PerfectDisk 13

SAMSUNG HD753LJ ATA Device

Apollo Pro UX 750GB (H:), 698.6*GB "NTFS"

Small files (32.0*KB): 22.69*MB/s 5.24*MB/s

Medium files (3.0*MB): 94.94*MB/s 37.76*MB/s

Large files (100.0*MB): 76.23*MB/s 64.21*MB/s

With SmartDefrag3

SAMSUNG HD753LJ ATA Device

Apollo Pro UX 750GB (H:), 698.6*GB "NTFS"

Small files (32.0*KB): 10.81*MB/s 5.72*MB/s

Medium files (3.0*MB): 48.04*MB/s 43.64*MB/s

Large files (100.0*MB): 77.47*MB/s 80.51*MB/s

So as you can see the read speed of small files is less with SD3, BUT the read speed of medium and specially large files is very similar among the two programs.

What really picked my attention (and the reason to post this thread) are the write speeds. SD3 is able to give better (even twice) write speeds versus PD13 :shock:

Also I've noticed my laptop to be more responsive, boots in less time and also when browsing folders with a large amount of files, the contents load twice as fast Vs. PD13 :shock:

PD13 claims to have a feature to prevent fragmentation called OptiWrite. but I've noticed that it doesnt prevent fragmentation and that it reduces the write speed!.

Also I changed the default settings of PD13 StealthPatrol (Automatic defrag) from 96 hours to 24 hours and changed the smartplacement method to one called "perfomance aggresive" to my C drive... but even so there were several times that PD reported that my C drive was not fully optimized, specially that the free space was fragmented.:roll:

Conclusion for PD13: even with such aggressive settings, my C drive could not be fully optimized :cry:

SD 3 and latest version 3.1.0.319 really caught my attention when on my 2 work computers, they performed better than when SD 2 was installed.

And since I was tired of PD13 not being able to fully optimize my C drive, then decided to uninstall it and also install SD 3 in my personal laptop.

I'm really impressed with IObit's SmartDefrag 3.1, this little program really have all the potential to become #1 defragmenter (paid and free).

IObit, keep the good work, you have all my support!:razz:

Hi ektorbarajas,

You have always shown a great interest in defragmentation and your findings are very valuable to all.

If IObit sorts out small details, such as putting the MFT enlargement area adjacent to MFT, shows different system files in different colors, solves the bug on the GUI window map and last but not least, right click identification of files on the GUI, I believe Smart Defrag will be a great defragmenter if not the best including paid ones.

Cheers.

Hi ektorbarajas,

You have always shown a great interest in defragmentation and your findings are very valuable to all.

If IObit sorts out small details, such as putting the MFT enlargement area adjacent to MFT, shows different system files in different colors, solves the bug on the GUI window map and last but not least, right click identification of files on the GUI, I believe Smart Defrag will be a great defragmenter if not the best including paid ones.

Cheers.

100% with you enoskype, I will add to make it fully usable in multiple users environments... and also my "wishlist" :-P located here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=16690

Kind regards

Archived