IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System tray icon failure in Vista

So here's the problem;

I set Smart Defrag Options to

+ Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended)

+ Load automatically at windows startup. (Recommended)

+ Automatically check for updates.

+ Enable SmartSilent technology while defragmenting. (Recommended)

Click Apply then OK

and what happens?

No problems everything works fine..

...but on system restart/or/turn off then on later, there is suddenly no icon in the System tray; not hidden or shown!

So... i go and check Windows Task Manager and waddya know?... there it is under Processes working away happily "IObit SmartDefrag.exe"

And not just open as a process but running Auto Defrags as well as I can see upon opening Smart Defrag and viewing the history/status

~~~

I have had this problem ever since my first use of Smart Defrag.

I also installed Smart Defrag on my sister's laptop and found the same problem.

I have attempted a uninstall/reinstall/fix

I have attempted updates

Nothing works.

~~~

---

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad [Q6600] @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 2048MB

---

I WANT MY SYSTEM TRAY ICON!!! :-(

Please help IOBit!

Thanks in advance

.wolf.

-------------------

P.S. Smart Defrag is absolutely excellent and I support and publicise it in every way. ;-) As far as I can see, this is its ONLY downfall; and an irritating one at that :-x

Update_1

Update on issue:

I have found a way to temporarily solve this problem, however on restart/or/turn off then on later the same problem ensues...

Nonetheless here is the temporary fix:

- Open Smart Defrag

- Uncheck "Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended)"

- Click Apply then OK

- Close Smart Defrag

>...>

- Open Smart Defrag

- Check "Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended)"

- Click Apply then OK

- Close Smart Defrag

!

Hope this info may help...:???:

.wolf.

Hi coreywolfgang

Have you tried having your icons in the systemtray and then while they are there going to start/right click, choose options, choose system tray, choose advanced and choose that these two icons shall be shown always?

Cheers

solbjerg

Update on issue:

I have found a way to temporarily solve this problem, however on restart/or/turn off then on later the same problem ensues...

Nonetheless here is the temporary fix:

- Open Smart Defrag

- Uncheck "Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended)"

- Click Apply then OK

- Close Smart Defrag

>...>

- Open Smart Defrag

- Check "Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended)"

- Click Apply then OK

- Close Smart Defrag

!

Hope this info may help...:???:

.wolf.

Yes...

Hey

Yes i have

But like i said nothing I've tried seems to work... :cry:

Reason that won't work in this case I think is because when it disappears from the system tray altogether on system restart/or/turn off then on later Windows forgets the "Show" property for the SmartDefrag icon...

...but I may be wrong :shock:

Hi coreywolfgang

Have you tried having your icons in the systemtray and then while they are there going to start/right click, choose options, choose system tray, choose advanced and choose that these two icons shall be shown always?

Cheers

solbjerg

What about having windows choose the best settings for your computer?

Right click My computer/options/advanced/display? and then "let windows choose the best settings for my computer.

If something is changed, you have to click on "Problems" in system optimize and choose to put some of the so called "Problems in the ignore list by clicking ignore.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey

Yes i have

But like i said nothing I've tried seems to work... :cry:

Reason that won't work in this case I think is because when it disappears from the system tray altogether on system restart/or/turn off then on later Windows forgets the "Show" property for the SmartDefrag icon...

...but I may be wrong :shock:

Checking let windows choose the best settings for my computer makes no changes to any of the settings. It keeps them all checked as they are already on my setting of 'Adjust for best appearance'...:|

Although I am slightly confused about what settings you mean since right clicking the 'Computer' icon does not present an 'options' (vista ultimate)

Hence i MAY be trying settings which arent the ones I am meant to be trying.:?

What about having windows choose the best settings for your computer?

Right click My computer/options/advanced/display? and then "let windows choose the best settings for my computer.

If something is changed, you have to click on "Problems" in system optimize and choose to put some of the so called "Problems in the ignore list by clicking ignore.

Cheers

solbjerg

Maybe it isn't options but preferences? Perhaps you can find it under system settings.

I use XP and the program (OS) is in Danish, so I sometimes have to search for the right commands, sorry!

Cheers

solbjerg

Checking let windows choose the best settings for my computer makes no changes to any of the settings. It keeps them all checked as they are already on my setting of 'Adjust for best appearance'...:|

Although I am slightly confused about what settings you mean since right clicking the 'Computer' icon does not present an 'options' (vista ultimate)

Hence i MAY be trying settings which arent the ones I am meant to be trying.:?

On second/third thought it is probably Properties, and display I think should be Performance

Right click My computer/properties/advanced/performance and then "let windows choose the best settings for my computer. I think is correct.

I am sorry that those two words escaped me for a while.

Cheers

solbjerg

Maybe it isn't options but preferences? Perhaps you can find it under system settings.

I use XP and the program (OS) is in Danish, so I sometimes have to search for the right commands, sorry!

Cheers

solbjerg

What settings I'm trying are under System>Advanced system settings>Performance(Visual Effects etc.)

{Right clicking 'Computer' then Properties takes me to System as well}

Are these the right ones?

I think anyway that its not to do with display settings because i tried adding three new icons permanently to system tray to see if maybe it was an issue that there wasnt enough room but they stayed there fine :neutral:

I think that the core problem is the fact that SmartDefrag is forgetting its Minimize to System Tray property (on startup)...:roll:

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi corey

Take a look at my previous answer - I added the command string - correct this time I hope :-)

About the rest of your answer - you may be right about your own computer, but it works perfectly as intended by me. I just checked, even though I normally do not use it - nothing was amiss.

Cheers

solbjerg

What settings I'm trying are under System>Advanced system settings>Performance(Visual Effects etc.)

{Right clicking 'Computer' then Properties takes me to System as well}

Are these the right ones?

I think anyway that its not to do with display settings because i tried adding three new icons permanently to system tray to see if maybe it was an issue that there wasnt enough room but they stayed there fine :neutral:

I think that the core problem is the fact that SmartDefrag is forgetting its Minimize to System Tray property (on startup)...:roll:

Like i said before

(Thats what i thought u meant from the start only was unsure :P )

ahhahah

was worth a try tho

I'm beginning to think it must be an ONLY Vista issue... or its conflicting with one of my many programs :shock:

OK. let's hope another vista user has a solution.

Cheers

solbjerg

Like i said before

(Thats what i thought u meant from the start only was unsure :P )

ahhahah

was worth a try tho

I'm beginning to think it must be an ONLY Vista issue... or its conflicting with one of my many programs :shock:

Ok wolf

Please post your findings

Cheers

solbjerg

No,

thanks, just did

Going to see if he can help with my problem, although his solution is simply for making it display [kind of like my temp solution (post no.2)] it is not specified whether it works with the start on start-up enabled... but fingers crossed

.wolf.

No reply or help from him/her yet

Yes it does still AutoDefrag {refer to my VERY first post},

hence this issue is irritating however not a HUGE problem.

I sure hope a patch could fix this as it seems to be a rather small problem...

but of course I have no idea how deep it goes...

...yet :shock:

hey, does it still auto defrag if the process is still running? i think its a bug to be fixed in the next version.

Hi all,

I am not sure if it will work, but can you please try Method1 in this post, although it is for not starting of SD with the Restart of Windows, it may worth trying. It worked for that problem as you can see from the next post there.

If it allready exists, delete the entry and create it again.

Cheers.

Gave it a try

Only difference now is that Smart Defrag actually pops up on start up :-o

Also installed the new version 1.10 sumthin or other from that new post:smile:

However, absolutely NO CHANGE to the main problem (i.e. the system tray icon) :-x

Can't IOBit fix this with an update..?

Hi all,

I am not sure if it will work, but can you please try Method1 in this post, although it is for not starting of SD with the Restart of Windows, it may worth trying. It worked for that problem as you can see from the next post there.

If it allready exists, delete the entry and create it again.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived