IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows defragmenter - conflict with Smart Defrag?

Hi.

I was wondering if Windows built-in weekly defrag schedule should be disabled or not.

I've seen that after intsalling Smart Defrag, the default windows weekly defrag schedule remains untouched.

I believe that windows scheduled defrga must be disabled, but then, why Smart Defrag doesn't disable it when installed?

I guess that Windows Built in defragmenter will conflict with Smart Defrag, and perhaps what Smart Defrag have achieved in a week will be undo when Windows Defragmenter is exectuded by the weekly scheduled task.

Iobit, can you further explain and clarify this?

Hi Cicely,

The point here is that average users are unaware of this, so Windows built in defrag will remain scheduled to run once a week... so, in this scenario I guess that what is happening is:

1) Smart Defrag optimized & defrag the drives

2) then Windows Defrag is executed

3) and Smart defrag optimizations and defrag are undone

So the result of this is that there are periods of time where the HDDs are not fully optimized, and this happens at least once a week and so on....

May I ask for the operating system that you are currently using? If you are running windows vista or 7 the disk defragmenter will run automatically.

To disable the windows defragmentation process please check this link. try to give it a shot to see what will happen.

To turn off the built-in Windows defragmenter, go to the Start menu and type "defrag" into the search box, and open Disk Defragmenter. Inside Disk Dragmenter, click on "Configure Schedule" and uncheck "Run on a Schedule."

Cheers!! vbsmile.png

May I ask for the operating system that you are currently using? If you are running windows vista or 7 the disk defragmenter will run automatically.

To disable the windows defragmentation process please check this link. try to give it a shot to see what will happen.

To turn off the built-in Windows defragmenter, go to the Start menu and type "defrag" into the search box, and open Disk Defragmenter. Inside Disk Dragmenter, click on "Configure Schedule" and uncheck "Run on a Schedule."

Cheers!! vbsmile.png

Hi iotop,

Well done. Thank you for helping us with this issue.

Cheers.

Hi, I clearly understand iotop suggestion and know how to do it, but my main concern here is not being addressed:

• The point here is that average users are unaware of this, so Windows built in defrag will remain scheduled to run once a week... so, in this scenario I guess that what is happening is:
    1) Smart Defrag optimized & defrag the drives
    2) then Windows Defrag is executed
    3) and Smart defrag optimizations and defrag are undone

So the result of this is that there are periods of time where the HDDs are not fully optimized, and this happens at least once a week and so on....

Hello ektorbarajas,

Sorry about the previous misunderstanding.

As the Windows built-in defrag run regurlarly, Smart Defrag may not defrag automatically when the fragmentation rate didn't reach the condition. Thus, it seems that Smart Defrag doesn't run properly. However, there is no conflict and nothing wrong.

Cheers.

• 8 months later...

Hi, Sorry for resuscitating this thread, but I'm still concerned about why when SmartDefrag is installed, the WIndows built-in weekly defragmenter it NOT disbaled.

I guess that Windows defrag works with a totally different approach than SmartDefrag, hence when Windows built in defragmenter weekly defrag is scheduled, ALL what was achieved with SmartDefrag will be undone and so Windows defrag and SmartDefrag will contnue to fight against each other on a weekly basis:

WIndiows defrag undoing what SmartDefrag has achieved and then Smart Defrag undoing what Windows defrag has achieved.

Please your further assistance and clarification with this.

Hi there,

Could you please give us details about that they undo what the other has achieved?

?

Waiting for your reply.

Hi Cicely,

I suppose Smart Defrag has a different approach than windows defag.

So the fact that SD when installed is NOT disabling windows defrag weekly schedule will probably generate the following:

1) SD is automatically defragmnenting and optimizing the HDDs

2) then when a week has passed the windows built in defrag is executed and so the windows approach in defrahmenting is performed

3) so at this point ALL what SD has defragmented and optimized will be partially or completely undone due to the weekly windows built in deftag

4) after windows weekly defrag is executed again SD will have to re-do what Windows defrag has undo

Hope that now my point is fully understood

Regards

Hi, let me explain it in a simplier way:

Consider the following which is true for ALL windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 default installations:

Windows defragmenter is scheduled to run on a weekly basis.

So now:

1) SD is installed and set to auto defrag all the HDD and EHDD

2) so SD in about 3 or 5 days have defragmented and optimized the disks. And perhaps also the user manually has triggered further optimizations using SD

3) days passs and the day where windows built in defragmenter is executed.

So at this point, perhaps when windows defrag is executed it will defrag the disk drives in the way that windows thinks they are defragmented AND perhaps this is TOTALLY different from what SD does as “smart defrag”

4) so as soon as windows defrag finishes, all the progress and optimizations achieved by SD are totally undone and all the effort in those precious days is gone.

5) then SD AGAIN starts from zero (or almost zero) to defrag and optimize the disks.

And so on...

Hope this is clear now.

I suppose that when SD is installed it should disable any windows defrag scheduled task.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. Please help us to look into the issue.

please download the tool from: http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD5InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

After that, please send us the file via email sdfeedback@iobit.com

I'm waiting for your email.

Hello,

Thank you for your information.

To look into the issue, please download the tool from: http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD5InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Please send the file to sdfeedback@iobit.com

HI,

I received an email with the following information:

We are sorry that this problem you mentioned is unable to be fixed. It is recommended you disable Windows Defragmenter.

Have a nice day.

I checked Windows Disk Defragmenter and the weekly defrag schedule was shown that was executed for ALL my HDD and EHDD betwen march 26 and march 27.

and today iobit smartdefrag auto executed smart defrag

So i went back to Windows Disk Defragmente and just analyzed the HDD and EHDD, and windows defrag shows that my C drive is 6% fragmented but iobit smartdefrag shows that this is ok with 0 fragments.

The above statement is the escence of this thread, windows built in defrag has a different approach than iobit's smart defrag and so even that windows defrag may show that the HDD or EHDD are fragmented, acording to iobit's smart defrag THEY ARE NO!

I know that I can manually disable the weekly windows built in defrag schedule, but the main concern here is:

Should IOBIt make Smart Defrag installer to AUTOMATICALLY disable any windows built in schedule??? because by defaut, when SD is installed the windows built in defrag schedule is left utouched!

I'd like to see a more complete and elaborate answer from IOBit staff about this, because as of today it seems that when windows built in defrag schedule is run, it UNDO what iobit SD has achieved.

HI,

I checked Windows Disk Defragmenter and the weekly defrag schedule was shown that was executed for ALL my HDD and EHDD betwen march 26 and march 27.

So i went back to Windows Disk Defragmente and just analyzed the HDD and EHDD, and windows defrag shows that my C drive is 6% fragmented but iobit smartdefrag shows that this is ok with 0 fragments.

The above statement is the escence of this thread, windows built in defrag has a different approach than iobit's smart defrag and so even that windows defrag may show that the HDD or EHDD are fragmented, acording to iobit's smart defrag THEY ARE NO!

I know that I can manually disable the weekly windows built in defrag schedule, but the main concern here is:

Should IOBIt make Smart Defrag installer to AUTOMATICALLY disable any windows built in schedule??? because by defaut, when SD is installed the windows built in defrag schedule is left utouched!

I'd like to see a more complete and elaborate answer from IOBit staff about this, because as of today it seems that when windows built in defrag schedule is run, it UNDO what iobit SD has achieved.

Hi there,

The difference of the results of Windows Disk Defragmenter and Smart Defrag is caused by different algorithms. Due to the different algorithms, the optimization by Windows Disk Defragmenter and Smart Defrag will be different. So they may undo each other changes.

I hope it is clear now.

HI,

Hi there,

The difference of the results of Windows Disk Defragmenter and Smart Defrag is caused by different algorithms. Due to the different algorithms, the optimization by Windows Disk Defragmenter and Smart Defrag will be different. So they may undo each other changes.

I hope it is clear now.

It has been clear since the beginning, the main problem is that due to those different algorithms both programs will struggle each other and undo each other.

That is why iobit MUST do that by default when smart defrag is installed it disables windows built in defrag schedule so that ALL fragmentation and optimization is handled by smart defrag.

Don’t know why no more users are concerned about this when what is happening is that as of today, windows defrag undo what smart defrag has done. Hence no 100% smart defrag optimization is present

Hi there,

Of course, it is your decision whether you disable Windows Defragmenter. Different programs may undo other's changes because of different algorithms. Generally, it is not recommended to install more than one software with the same feature.

Cheers