IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD 1.20 doesn't seem to work very well

I installed SD 1.20 a few days ago. Ran fast optimize first on 3 partitions.

The report says that a few files could not be defragged because there wasn't enough space? But the graphic display at the end seems to indicate a lot of fragments.

So I tried defrag only. But no change.

Lastly, I tried deep optimize on my C: drive. Still looks ugly. See:

http://www.fototime.com/998E0DD866A7286/orig.jpg

SD does not look very impressive at all. What am I missing?

I installed SD 1.20 a few days ago. Ran fast optimize first on 3 partitions.

The report says that a few files could not be defragged because there wasn't enough space? But the graphic display at the end seems to indicate a lot of fragments.

So I tried defrag only. But no change.

Lastly, I tried deep optimize on my C: drive. Still looks ugly. See:

http://www.fototime.com/998E0DD866A7286/orig.jpg

SD does not look very impressive at all. What am I missing?

Hi iamme99,

You need atleast 15% disk space in order to fully defrag.

Your Disk size is 10GB and you only have 1.23GB of free space.

Please delete some files or move some files to another drive and try again :-D

Cheers,

;23891']Hi iamme99,

You need at least 15% disk space in order to fully defrag.

Your Disk size is 10GB and you only have 1.23GB of free space.

Why do I need 15% free space to do a defrag? Is this some sort of rule of thumb? Or something to do with how IOBit works?

Anyway, I can't easily free much more space on my C: drive w/o repartitioning, which is a pain.

However, this folder - C:\WINDOWS\Installer is over 2.5GB in size! If I could get rid of this, it would help a lot.

Anyone know anything about this folder's contents? I once tried to delete it and when I rebooted, Windows was broken. I had to restore an image to get things back to working condition.

iamme99

Yes,that's pretty much the rule of thumb-for SD and a couple others I've used.I don't know what's in that file,so maybe a screenshot? But if you have any .exe files(installers)that you don't need,delete those.You may also shrink your system restore down to the minimum 1% for now,and delete your paging and prefetch files.Do you have anything you could off load to a flash drive for now? After all that,suspend your security(best to disconnect from the internet),boot in safe mode, and run SD from there.Many of us on the forum run and recommend CCleaner,which could help you find some more free space.Best of luck-post back either way.

Yes,that's pretty much the rule of thumb-for SD and a couple others I've used.I don't know what's in that file,so maybe a screenshot? But if you have any .exe files(installers)that you don't need,delete those.You may also shrink your system restore down to the minimum 1% for now,and delete your paging and prefetch files.Do you have anything you could off load to a flash drive for now? After all that,suspend your security(best to disconnect from the internet),boot in safe mode, and run SD from there.Many of us on the forum run and recommend CCleaner,which could help you find some more free space.Best of luck-post back either way.

I'm not sure what file you are asking a screen shot for? C:\Windows\Installer? If so, every user (XP at least) should have a version of this file on their hard drive. Check it out. In my case, this file is using 25% of the total allocated space on the C: drive! Whew.

Could you elaborate technically as to WHY you need 15% free space to defrag? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I have a 1TB disk, then you would want a minimum of 150GB open and sitting around doing nothing in order to do a defrag???? You wouldn't think this to be unreasonable?

In my case, the biggest file of the ones that couldn't be defragged due to supposed lack of space was only 70MB (shown in the original screenshot link I posted). Again, it is not clear why a file of this size could not be accommodated in the available free space. It seems that many other files WERE able to be defragged w/o 15% freespace.

If I have a 1TB disk, then you would want a minimum of 150GB open and sitting around doing nothing in order to do a defrag???? You wouldn't think this to be unreasonable?

I do have a 1TB disk that I regularly defrag and optimize with Smart Defrag and it usually takes less than 10 seconds because the disk only has 200 GB on it with the other 732 GB open and sitting around doing nothing for over a year now which accounts 79% of freespace on the disk. I keep adding to it daily including pictures I've taken which I store in Photoshop PSD Format at over 40 MB each all of the time, but 1 TB is a lot of space to fill and I wish I only had 150 GB of freespace left and the rest filed with valuable content.

I got the 1 TB disk over a year ago and since then I have not stored anything but the bare minimum to run the Vista OS plus some additional programs on my main C disk which now has 23.3 GB on it with 197.2 GB freespace and Smart Defrag performs a daily defragmentation and fast optimize on the C disk usually in about 1 minute since it now has the benefit of having 89.5% freespace.

~Maxx~

Hi iamme99,

The 15% rule is pretty much standard for any defragger, not just Smart Defrag. Here is a quote from Microsoft Manual for the Windows Defrag in XP Pro:

"Remarks

•A volume must have at least 15% free space for defrag to completely and adequately defragment it. Defrag uses this space as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than 15% free space, defrag will only partially defragment it. To increase the free space on a volume, delete unneeded files or move them to another disk. "

samr.

Hi iamme99,

The 15% rule is pretty much standard for any defragger, not just Smart Defrag. Here is a quote from Microsoft Manual for the Windows Defrag in XP Pro:

"Remarks

•A volume must have at least 15% free space for defrag to completely and adequately defragment it. Defrag uses this space as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than 15% free space, defrag will only partially defragment it. To increase the free space on a volume, delete unneeded files or move them to another disk. "

samr.

Is SD using Microsoft' s defrag software? 15% may be Microsoft's requirement but it doesn't necessarily mean that it applies to anyone else who is not using Microsoft software.

And as I mentioned previously, such ROT's don't make any sense with large hard drives.

BTW: Today's defrag on the C: drive seemed to generate a much better result (looking at the graphic result) and I HAVE NOT deleted any additional files. So I think that blows a hole in the 15% canned figure.

25% not unusual

Bear in mind your OS (XP,Vista,whatever),and any service packs and patches you may have can be 5GB or larger.I took another look at your screenshot,and realized I had missed the most obvious thing for you to delete-your system restore points.I'm not going to debate the 15% rule-it's a fact-period! I gave you my advice on what to dump to get the space you need-take it or leave it,but don't put up an argument about it.If you don't believe me or anyone else here,try Google,or criticizing the advice you might receive from some other forums.Few things torque me off more than somebody seeking help for a problem,and then spending their resources to discredit the advice they're given.It's just bad form and downright rude.Considering today's prices,I'd look to a larger hard drive if I were you.

Bear in mind your OS (XP,Vista,whatever), and any service packs and patches you may have can be 5GB or larger. I took another look at your screenshot, and realized I had missed the most obvious thing for you to delete-your system restore points. I'm not going to debate the 15% rule-it's a fact-period! I gave you my advice on what to dump to get the space you need-take it or leave it, but don't put up an argument about it. If you don't believe me or anyone else here, try Google,or criticizing the advice you might receive from some other forums. Few things torque me off more than somebody seeking help for a problem, and then spending their resources to discredit the advice they're given. It's just bad form and downright rude. Considering today's prices, I'd look to a larger hard drive if I were you.

Phew. And nothing annoys me more than people who quote ROT's without understanding/being able to explain the basis for the ROT (if any). I posed a technical question. You could have answered it (if you knew the answer) or you could have tried to throw up a smokescreen by claiming what you said was a "fact" and that it is "rude" to question anything that the VP of IOBIT claims [roflol]. You chose the latter. That choice tells me that you really don't know what you are doing and the IOBIT is not a company that I want to deal with, particularly with a critical program like a disk defragger.

There are plenty of other defrag products around. I don't need yours and I will now replace it. Bye.

Hope we don't hear from that person again. We don't need people like him on this forum. You gave very detailed help even showed him why disk needs extra space which frankly is obvious. The only issue I have is on windows 7 RC the icon does not show in task bar, same problem I see others have been having in Vista. Apart from that smart defrag is a very good free program.

Your good health Clive

Defragclive

Is SD working out on Win 7 for you? I'm @ 3 days into my first encounter with Win7 Ultimate and have had issues with two of my other favorite defraggers.Seems the volume shadow copy feature has been responsible for a warning generated by one of those utilities,and the other produced a defrag error during defrag,which led to a crash @ 2 hours later.Your thoughts?

Is SD working out on Win 7 for you? I'm @ 3 days into my first encounter with Win7 Ultimate and have had issues with two of my other favorite defraggers.Seems the volume shadow copy feature has been responsible for a warning generated by one of those utilities,and the other produced a defrag error during defrag,which led to a crash @ 2 hours later.Your thoughts?

I am not having any problems with smart Defrag version 1.20 apart from not showing Icon in task bar.

I have turned off windows auto defrag but not sure if it has any bearing on your problem.

Maybe it not a good idea to have more than one defragger program installed at same time like virus scanners. But other than that I have no idea why you are having problems.

It is possible to disable shadow copy in 'services' but may not help your problem.

By the way can you tell me the name of the other defraggers you had problems with so I can avoid them?

Regards Clive

Defragclive

Thanks for the reply.I'll look to services regarding VSC,but am wondering if it's an essential part of the system restore program.Win7 is a whole new ball of wax after using XP since day one.Seems fussy and over engineered-but it's early yet-you know,old dog,new tricks...

Hi detailer,

In my Windows7 RC7229, SD 1.20 is working as it should and that's the only defragmenter I use in it for regular defragmentation.

(The below process will be an answer to your hesitance to use the defrag programs in Win7.)

I have defragged Windows7 system files with offline defrag, from within Vista with PerfectDisk8 (PD8 does not work for Win7), without any problems. From time to time I repeat it. (Ofcourse, I would not recommend it to anybody, as it is experimental).

The laptop is a dual boot with Vista, and SD sees both when run from any of the OSs.

Although , the Windows7 doesn't have as much programs as the Vista does, the speed is much much better. (defrag speed)

Only if we could have offline defrag with SD !!!:idea: :-P

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Must Reply

Good bye,good luck,and good riddance.

I am a lurker by nature but reading this post simply compelled me to reply. I understand that the tenor of the poster with the 15% question was out of line. However, I too would like to know the details regarding this 'rule'.

I can tell you that the leading pay defragmentation software (you know who they are) does not currently seem to have this issue. Keeping in mind that I have chosen Smart Defrag OVER this pay software, I would still like an answer.

Further, I think it shows a poor public relations face for IObit to engage this conversation at this level. I think your the better and should show it.

Finally, it seems to me that this forum is for every kind of client. From the least technical to the highly technical. While not every question can be answered to pertain to every technical level, this question needs to be answered at the level it was asked; technically. The perception form this thread is that a VIP can not put the proper resources in action to get an acceptable answer. And if not he, then who?

Overall my post is not meant as a criticism but an attempt to illicit further information. I recognize that you replied and that your reply was in an earnest effort to help with the issue presented. I also fully understand that the poster was out of line and did not conduct themselves in a manner likely to produce the desired information.

It is in this context that I lay my opinions at your feet to comment as you will in hopes that you will not place everyone in the same category as the poster and will be willing to answer the following questions.

1. What does SD require for free space? Does SD require 15% free space or free space dependent on the largest file needing defragmentation or some other amount?
  2. Does the needed free space change with drive size?
  3. Have you done your own research on this topic or are you just using Microsoft information?
  4. Why do some competing products not seem to have this issue?

Hi Aserflab

First I want to say that the forum is predominantly run by users.

Description of this can be found here: Online Help for IObit Software

Where you will also find a link to enoskype's thread "Think about Defragmentation!!! ".

You can also find quite a bit about defragmentation at Wikipedia.

Regarding your questions, I have submitted them to IObit and is currently awaiting a response.

1. What does SD require for free space? Does SD require 15% free space or free space dependent on the largest file needing defragmentation or some other amount?
  2. Does the needed free space change with drive size?
  3. Have you done your own research on this topic or are you just using Microsoft information?
  4. Why do some competing products not seem to have this issue?

1. Suggest we await the answer from IObit

But it stands to reason that a fair amount free space is needed in order to shift those thousands/millions of files around.

2. It is the nature of percentage to relate to the maximum capacity.

4. I do not know, but the parameters may be different e.g. they may take much longer to run a defragmentation.

Looking forward to clarification from IObit!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. It is not usual practice by anyone to extend technical help to free products.

Hi everybody

defragging a hard-disk is not a simple procedure.

the greater the harddisk the greater the number of files in 85% space.

A defragging program uses an algorithm to achieve its purpose and its design is usually a compromise between speed and effectiveness when the free space it is not enough.

Yes a 15% free space of the total is needed in order to give the defragging program the flexibility to move files , back-up files for security and create the needed spaces for defragging and optimizing.

What a defragger can do it is the possibility to switch between different algorithms. And it is obvious that Smart-Defrag doesn't offer this option.

Windows problematic DEFRAG progam offers such a possibility in DOS command mode you can enter the command defrag c: -f in order to force it to proceed to defragmentation even if the free space is less than 15%.

cheers

demitris

Hello, my reply for your questions

1.What does SD require for free space? Does SD require 15% free space or free space dependent on the largest file needing defragmentation or some other amount?

Around 15% free space is needed. And continuous free space is better for large fragmented files.

2.Does the needed free space change with drive size?

In fact, the free space needed depends upon the size of your fragmented files. Normally, around 15% free space is OK.

3.Have you done your own research on this topic or are you just using Microsoft information?

Yes, we have been doing our own research, as the MS defrag is too bad, both on its technology and its real performance.

4.Why do some competing products not seem to have this issue

Based upon our research, there is no defagmenter without similar problems.

P.S.

Smart Defrag v1 is not good enough, as it has no pagefile defragment and doe not apply driver technology for its defragmenting. Smart Defrag v2 will be released in the next year and give you a free and perfect solution for defragmentation.

• 2 months later...

Defrag Space requirement

Hey guys,

Forget about the 15% space for defragging! Anyone running more than 70% full HDD is not running well! The system and programs are always grabbing chunks of drive space for their temp processes and during the run you never know how much is left! with the HDD prices as low as they are why would anyone still be using a 10GB HDD???????????????????:roll::roll::roll:

Archived