IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Not consolidating empty space

Hi,

I was recommended to try Smart Defrag by a business colleague. So I recently have installed it so that makes me a Newbie in the use of Smart Defrag. In operation, I find it to be much more useful / efficient than the Microsoft defrag but I have several questions and comments. I am sure that many of these will have been answered previously but I could not find direct references in the forum to appropriate answers. Equally, I am new in the use of SD.

Point 1.

It efficiently defragments the files and one gets a report to see what has happened. Works well in Defrag, speed optimize and deep optimize. Nice.

Point 2 .

When using the mode Speed Optimize. Defrag works well and seems to move a few files therefore increasing the free space at end of the disk by a small amount but never a complete consolidation. I note that I run "analyze" and it suggests speed optimize again, sometime the second attempt produces more file movement but not always. This is not because the files are unmoveable.

Point 3

Deep Defrag does not move all of the heavily used (blue) files to the beginning of the disk eventhough there is enough space as shown by white blocks. Eventhough it could move less frequently used (grey) files.

Point 4

I noted that I had MFT split to 2 sections and several sections of immoveable files but because of point 2 I had remove several GBs of data so that when I run "pagedefrag", it was able defrag the system files. I had initially 10GB/40MB free space. I needed to remove at least another 6MB to get "pagedefrag" to defrag the pagefile.sys but not the hibernate file. ( yes I know that Microsoft sets aside 12.5% of the disk for the MFT. I wish that could be reduced.).

Point 5

It would be nice to have a built-in function like the program "diskview". This, equally, was a function in SpeedDefrag? from Symantec/Norton. I used the program for several years until it got to the point that I was buying Systemworks only for the defrag function.

Point 6

Another nice function was the ability to move the swap file to beginning of the disk. This is probably not the best spot, should be middle of the disk, but that location is ,now, probably up for discussion because of the increase in speed of the HDs

Point 7.

Can you recommend a way of moving some of the unmoveable files ie defragging in a DOS type of mode.

This was not meant as bitching session but more as a clarifaction of my understanding of how this program works with reference to other defraggers that I have used on windows and VMS systems.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James

What a lot of questions :-) welcome to the forum :-)

Please read all of Usage of IObit Products and Thinking about defragmentation both threads located in the Lounge section of this forum.

Did I understand correctly that you only have 40MB free space in 10GB harddisk? That is 0.4%???

The way to bring down the amount of restore points in Windows System restore is described in several places in this forum, but is essentially to right click my computer - choose Options - choose the tab System restore and then settings/options and use the slide to choose the percentage of diskspace you want to use for restore points.

Keep enough space left for a couple of restore points if you want the function to work.

You are welcome back - but please read the mentioned threads first.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. do you mean consolidating or conciliating?

Fragmentation happens ALL the time, just asking the program to do another scan will generate some fragmentation usually.

Hi,

I was recommended to try Smart Defrag by a business colleague. So I recently have installed it so that makes me a Newbie in the use of Smart Defrag. In operation, I find it to be much more useful / efficient than the Microsoft defrag but I have several questions and comments. I am sure that many of these will have been answered previously but I could not find direct references in the forum to appropriate answers. Equally, I am new in the use of SD.

Point 1.

It efficiently defragments the files and one gets a report to see what has happened. Works well in Defrag, speed optimize and deep optimize. Nice.

Point 2 .

When using the mode Speed Optimize. Defrag works well and seems to move a few files therefore increasing the free space at end of the disk by a small amount but never a complete concilidation. I note that I run "analyze" and it suggests speed optimize again, sometime the second attempt produces more file movement but not always. This is not because the files are unmoveable.

Point 3

Deep Defrag does not move all of the heavily used (blue) files to the beginning of the disk eventhough there is enough space as shown by white blocks. Eventhough it could move less frequently used (grey) files.

Point 4

I noted that I had MFT split to 2 sections and several sections of immoveable files but because of point 2 I had remove several GBs of data so that when I run "pagedefrag", it was able defrag the system files. I had initially 10GB/40MB free space. I needed to remove at least another 6MB to get "pagedefrag" to defrag the pagefile.sys but not the hibernate file. ( yes I know that Microsoft sets aside 12.5% of the disk for the MFT. I wish that could be reduced.).

Point 5

It would be nice to have a built-in function like the program "diskview". This, equally, was a function in SpeedDefrag? from Symantec/Norton. I used the program for several years until it got to the point that I was buying Systemworks only for the defrag function.

Point 6

Another nice function was the ability to move the swap file to beginning of the disk. This is probably not the best spot, should be middle of the disk, but that location is ,now, probably up for discussion because of the increase in speed of the HDs

Point 7.

Can you recommend a way of moving some of the unmoveable files ie defragging in a DOS type of mode.

This was not meant as bitching session but more as a clarifaction of my understanding of how this program works with reference to other defraggers that I have used on windows and VMS systems.

Best Wishes

Jim

Welcome Jim

In addition to Solbjerg's restore point suggestion (a good one I might add),here's what I'd do to gain some more space for a proper defrag-disable hibernation,delete your page and prefetch files-disconnect from the net,disable all security and run the deep optimized defrag in Safe Mode.I believe you require @ 10% > 12% free space for an effective defrag.Also consider temporarily off-loading some files to a flash drive or other portable media device.You made reference to Page Defrag-are we talking about the app. from Systernals? If so,that should work fine regardless of available free space.Nice to hear from you.

Not consolidating empty space

Hi Solberg,

Thanks for the prompt reply, note I have corrected the stupid spelling mistakes. I knew that it looked wrong. I need to improve my typing and my spelling.

10GB/40MB
should have read 10GB/40GB ie 25% which should be enough. I had to increase the free space to 16GB ie 40%.

I have screen dumps as jpg's showing the lack of change in speed optimize, if you think that it could be useful, I can attach them.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi Detailer,

Thanks for your welcome and comments but see my previous reply. I had reduced the number of restore points although not as low as suggested in the Defragmentation tomes . There is a lot of information in them . Some I already knew but had forgotten, some was new.

If I could make a suggestion it would be nice to have PDF created of the final copy for old farts like me who like to read the paper form and not the screen all of the time.

here's what I'd do to gain some more space for a proper defrag-disable hibernation,delete your page and prefetch files-disconnect from the net,disable all security and run the deep optimized defrag in Safe Mode
A very useful tip. but I have not tried yet but I believe that I should have enough space. With reference to your comment, delete pagefile.sys, hibernate.sys and the prefetch file? what is it called?

Also consider temporarily off-loading some files to a flash drive or other portable media device
Done already that is how I gained some the space.

Page Defrag-are we talking about the app. from Systernals
Yes but it still needs the contiguous space to defrag the pagefile . Once I had enough, it defraged the pagefile.sys file but not the hibernation file. Next boot perhaps. Sysinternals also supply the programme "diskview". He was bought out by Microsoft. Now when you download the latest version, you download from the Microsoft Technical Support site.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James

Yes by all means - let's see the screenshots.

Would be nice if you repeated the questions relating to the screenshots.

There is a wealth of information in "Thinking about defragmentation", but it is a long thread to read from end to end in one go :-)

"Usage of IObit Functions" just have approximately one page of information on the subject of Smart Defrag :-)

Let us see if we can sort this out.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. no disrespect intended about the word, - just asked to be absolutely sure - we all make spelling mistakes and other mistakes as well - we band of brothers :-)

Hi Detailer,

Thanks for your welcome and comments but see my previous reply. I had reduced the number of restore points although not as low as suggested in the Defragmentation tomes . There is a lot of information in them . Some I already knew but had forgotten, some was new.

If I could make a suggestion it would be nice to have PDF created of the final copy for old farts like me who like to read the paper form and not the screen all of the time.

A very useful tip. but I have not tried yet but I believe that I should have enough space. With reference to your comment, delete pagefile.sys, hibernate.sys and the prefetch file? what is it called?

Done already that is how I gained some the space.

Yes but it still needs the contiguous space to defrag the pagefile . Once I had enough, it defraged the pagefile.sys file but not the hibernation file. Next boot perhaps. Sysinternals also supply the programme "diskview". He was bought out by Microsoft. Now when you download the latest version, you download from the Microsoft Technical Support site.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James r.

I really like your idea of having the "About" and "Think About Defragmentation" threads available as a .pdf attachment. I did some playing with this, but unforunately the files would be too big to attach here in the forum. But You might copy the text of the posts in the thread to notepad, wordpad, word, ect. and save them . Then you can print them off.

Thanks,

samr

Hi samr,

I had already started to do that before seeing your reply. I, often copy paste the Forum pages into a Wordpad doc just to make the printout look neat, but it does take time to remove some of the extraneous header information and I have not finished it yet.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James

I have made a couple of zipped files with the two threads.

Attaching them

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I made an updated version today 15.01.2010

Hi samr,

I had already started to do that before seeing your reply. I, often copy paste the Forum pages into a Wordpad doc just to make the printout look neat, but it does take time to remove some of the extraneous header information and I have not finished it yet.

Best Wishes

Jim

Think ---.zip

Usage ---.zip

Usage 2 ---.zip

Usage of IObit Products - printable version.zip

Great work

Hi James

I have made a couple of zipped files with the two threads.

Attaching them

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you so much for the PDFs, now I can read all about it at any time, anywhere :smile:

Are you going to attach them to the Usage of IObit Products and Defragmentation threads (I had a look but couldn't see them)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz :idea:

Thank you - glad you found it useful :-)

Is it OK if I leave a link at both places in post#1 with this here location?

You are right - I ought to!! Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you so much for the PDFs, now I can read all about it at any time, anywhere :smile:

Are you going to attach them to the Usage of IObit Products and Defragmentation threads (I had a look but couldn't see them)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the replies and Thanks to Solberg for the zipped files but now back to the original problem of not consolidating the empty space.

I installed the software on another PC and both the Fast Optimize and Deep Optimize both work although it has 75% free space.

But original PC, still no go, I will attach jpgs of the screen. I still cannot get the program Pagedefrag to defrag the pagefile.sys. I followed detailer's advice but have gone a bit farther and disabled hibernation completely. Still no change. I have now greter than 50% free space.

The only difference that I can see is that I have multiple logins on this PC and 2 of them are administrators with 2 others of non standard (Microsoft) settings. One thing that I have noticed is that XP does not completely empty the recycle bin. I have noticed this because I, also, use a program called Treesize from Jam Software to find the disk space hogs. It only removes from the current administrator, I have to logout and relogin as the other administrator to fully empty the recycle bin. I was wondering if this why this PC is behaving in a different manner to the other PC, there is possibly a permission problem.

I have also noticed another feature and that seemingly the number of unmoveable file blocks seems to have increased. I do not believe it to be the actual case but it may be a feature of the way, the defrag picture is generated. Each line of blocks is equivalent approx 2Gb therefore each block is greater than 10Mb so how does the software decide to colour the blocks is it when 50% of all sectors in that block are fixed therefore black or is it 50% of the used sectors. I believe the latter from the way that I seeing it behave.

I have many questions and as yet not all of the answers.

I noted when visiting the forum others have noticed the problem with the recycle bin and also the increasing black blocks. With the recycle bin, I may have an explanation for one, it maybe a useful question to ask do they have multiple logins. With the increasing black blocks, it maybe a question for the programmers.

a is before and b is after

I have a series of 7 if necessary showing that it sometimes moves enough files to increase the space at the end of the disk.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James

I notice from our screenshots that you have the button "Care" displayed in the program window.

It should not be there and must be a leftover from your previous installs.

Please try an absolutely "clean install" to get rid of it.

And let's then see how the program reacts.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the replies and Thanks to Solberg for the zipped files but now back to the original problem of not consolidating the empty space.

I installed the software on another PC and both the Fast Optimize and Deep Optimize both work although it has 75% free space.

But original PC, still no go, I will attach jpgs of the screen. I still cannot get the program Pagedefrag to defrag the pagefile.sys. I followed detailer's advice but have gone a bit farther and disabled hibernation completely. Still no change. I have now greter than 50% free space.

The only difference that I can see is that I have multiple logins on this PC and 2 of them are administrators with 2 others of non standard (Microsoft) settings. One thing that I have noticed is that XP does not completely empty the recycle bin. I have noticed this because I, also, use a program called Treesize from Jam Software to find the disk space hogs. It only removes from the current administrator, I have to logout and relogin as the other administrator to fully empty the recycle bin. I was wondering if this why this PC is behaving in a different manner to the other PC, there is possibly a permission problem.

I have also noticed another feature and that seemingly the number of unmoveable file blocks seems to have increased. I do not believe it to be the actual case but it may be a feature of the way, the defrag picture is generated. Each line of blocks is equivalent approx 2Gb therefore each block is greater than 10Mb so how does the software decide to colour the blocks is it when 50% of all sectors in that block are fixed therefore black or is it 50% of the used sectors. I believe the latter from the way that I seeing it behave.

I have many questions and as yet not all of the answers.

I noted when visiting the forum others have noticed the problem with the recycle bin and also the increasing black blocks. With the recycle bin, I may have an explanation for one, it maybe a useful question to ask do they have multiple logins. With the increasing black blocks, it maybe a question for the programmers.

a is before and b is after

I have a series of 7 if necessary showing that it sometimes moves enough files to increase the space at the end of the disk.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi Solberg,

That was a clean install, in fact the only install of this software on this PC. I will try another install but I think that the care button exists on the software on the one that works. I have not used the Care button as yet although I will now try it.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James

very curious - where did you get the install file? The first time install was that version 1.30?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solberg,

That was a clean install, in fact the only install of this software on this PC. I will try another install but I think that the care button exists on the software on the one that works. I have not used the Care button as yet although I will now try it.

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi Solberg,

I googled for Smart Defrag and used the link to download the version that I am using. I initially only downloaded Smart Defrag, once I found that that it worked reasonably well. I transfered it to the other PC, and there I eventually clicked on the Care! button which lead to the download page of IObit, and I then downloaded the other program and installed on the other system. Lo and behold, the Care button disappeared:-) .

Best Wishes

Jim

Hi James

It now sounds as if you have the right version :-)

Did that make any difference to the depiction of immovables?

If so congratulation :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solberg,

I googled for Smart Defrag and used the link to download the version that I am using. I initially only downloaded Smart Defrag, once I found that that it worked reasonably well. I transfered it to the other PC, and there I eventually clicked on the Care! button which lead to the download page of IObit, and I then downloaded the other program and installed on the other system. Lo and behold, the Care button disappeared:-) .

Best Wishes

Jim

Confused here.

You have been running advanced system care in the past and just now are running smart defrag? Just want to make sure all are on the same page here!

Some of the situations you describe seem to indicate you are utilizing ASC and Smartdefrag.

The screen shots are good, but don't give an indication/direction/solution.

If I'm being stupid.... it won't be the first time!!

Hi,

On PC A only downloaded Smart Defrag. This is the one with the problems, is multi user. 55% free space.

PC b :- transfered Smart Defrag from A to b installed but then clicked on Care! button and installed AC3. Care! button now disappears from Smart Defrag. Smart Defrag worked when only Smart Defrag installed but effectively single user only one administrator. 75% free space.

Both 40GB HD's

Disabled hibernation on both PC's. Page Defrag worked on b not on A.

I would like to sort the problem before transfering Smart Defrag to my laptop, and also PC A is used for accounts.

Best Wishes

Jim

• 3 years later...

Archived