IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Request: Smart Defrag Silent MSI

As I have read many posts here the Smart Defrag is amazing and several people are looking for a silent MSI solution. I have tried to no end re-packaging with AppDeploy and other utilities to create this with no success.

Could IObit please create a silent MSI with ability to turn on certain functions such as auto-load on startup and scheduling options through MST.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Silent MSI Request

Is there a time frame that everybody can look forward to on an answer from the coding gurus. I believe this is something that could really catapult IOBit's reputation ahead of the rest. The difficulty for the gurus would be a very simple operation that I am sure they could do with their eyes closed.

• 3 months later...

To me 'MSI' means the Installer built into Windows, and 'MST' is a file type extension (.mst).

Why the heck would anyone Need for the MSI utility to be 'Silent' or hidden :?:

Or are you asking about an Auto 'Load & Run' Scheduler, Not an Installer?

Sounds like this may be a Very Specialized need, Not needed by the Average user?

Please explain!

I found this definition for MSI:

"The Windows Installer(MSI) (previously known as Microsoft Installer, codename Darwin) is an engine for the installation, maintenance, and removal of software on modern Microsoft Windows systems. The installation information, and often the files themselves, are packaged in installation packages, loosely relational databases

structured as OLE Structured Storage Files and commonly known as MSI files".

I found this definition for 'Unattended' & 'Silent':

"A quick word on terminology: Strictly speaking, an unattended installation is one which does not require user interaction, and a silent (or quiet) installation is one which does not display any indication of its progress. However, most people use these terms interchangeably".

Personally I don't want anything Intalled on my computers in a 'Unattended' or 'Silent' way, I want to know exactly What, Where and When everything is installed.

Is this the type thing you are asking about, for 'Remote' Installs? :

http://www.emco.is/products/msi-package-builder/msi-remote-silent-install.php

Personally I don't want anything Intalled on my computers in a 'Unattended' or 'Silent' way, I want to know exactly What, Where and When everything is installed.

You obviously don't get the point that we are talking about network level deployment and NOT single user install.

And also you should inform yourself about MSI beeing an installer package perfectly adapted to network deployment.

Hi jaynbe

Is there a problem installing the program on each of the network sites and then sending a command to run it on all of the sites - preferably when they are not in use otherwise?

If run by a server that caters to several sites it smacks a little like the goodwill accumulated by the defragging wil be awarded to the server and not to the program and IObit will then loose out on the goodwill that rightfully ought to be theirs.

That is how I think about it anyway. Keeping in mind that it is a totally free product.

Have you read the EULA in the program folder?

Cheers

solbjerg

You obviously don't get the point that we are talking about network level deployment and NOT single user install.

And also you should inform yourself about MSI beeing an installer package perfectly adapted to network deployment.

You obviously said Nothing about Networks, in your original question. ;-)

You should inform yourself about the proper way to post a question with enough information and how Not to reply in a Rude way. :grin:

As I said before this is a specialized Need, not for the average user.

So why would someone spend a great deal of time developing Free software that Not many people need?

Did you checkout the EMCO software link that I posted above? It certainly seems to be what you are looking for?

Sorry if my question got in your way, and thanks for letting us know more about what you were asking about.

solbjerg thanks for the reply,

First of all I want to point out my great recognition for the quality of Smart Defrag.

That's why I, aswell as others, are interested in an option for silent (MSI) installs.

Like the first poster I have been trying repacking the smart defrag installer in silent mode.

When I do so using a silent run SFX repack, I also automatically install the toolbar.

(A GUI opt-in option for the toolbar would also solve the problem with an SFX repack.)

Actually the same question as here: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=5869

For my network I am referring to a closed private LAN deploy by group policy.

By far the most common way to achieve this is with a silent msi admin install.

The app is locally installed on each workstation from this administrative (msi)share.

The app itself is NOT run from a server; only the install point is (=admin installer).

Toppack

Not reply in a Rude way.

Was not intended to be rude but only to the point. Sorry for that.

You would be wondering just how many people use networking machines: even average users not knowing.

The EMCO repacker requires the original installer to be an .msi; so that confirms requesting an .msi installer.

The EMCO repacker requires the original installer to be an .msi; so that confirms requesting an .msi installer.

Very Interesting!

Altho I do have Networking experiance (I have a 5 computer LAN now), I'll have to admit that I have No idea of what you are talking about in that statement, so I'll just stay out of this debate until I can do some research on what you are trying to accomplish, that the EMCO software won't do.

WOW, I had no idea the 'EMCO MSI Package Builder' is so Expensive:!:

I'm seeing prices in the $500. to $600. range. :roll:

I'm assuming this capability would only be Needed for a very Large Enterprize type network, correct? But would also save time and effort on even a smaller network?

I can certainly see why you are are looking for an alternative package.

With competition like that, I can also see why it may be profitable for IObit to develope a better and lower priced software package to cover this Enterprize requirement.

I also found this free utility called 'RemoteExec', that may be helpful to someone.

http://www.vista-files.org/programs/is-decisions/remoteexec.html

(It does load and run on 64-bit W-7 also)

(click the 'Help' button for Instructions)

(right-click for a very extensive menu-list of options, including MSI transfers)

If anyone tries loading and running Smart-defrag or other programs using the 'RemoteExec' utility linked above, Please let us know how it works for you, Thanks?

I used it to copy some files Remotely, and it worked great, but I've not tried any other options yet.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE REQUEST: Silent MSI Install with MST or Answer File

Have there been any updates or projected time on this? This is such a great product that I believe it would benefit many companies out there and really put IOBit's name in the mainstream and make companies think twice when purchasing the Server products like Smart Defrag. I know my IT Director is looking already at replacing Perfect Disk, but seeing a response to this is what he is keeping reservations about because nothing has been done as of yet even with the release of the Beta 2 version. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let me bring money to your company.

• 1 year later...

I am afraid I must agree with Soljberg and Topack.

This would seem to be a request for a lot of effort for minum benefit.

As was stated, this is a great FREE product, and is designed with the majority of users in mind. If Iobit were to try and accomodate every individual wish, then it would be very unlikely that they could continue to do this for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi infoleather, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

Developed free softwares are for to make the producing company well known.

Smart Defrag 2 being a great defragmenter software and vastly developed in time is a good example of it, which had a lot of appraisals all over the web, together with ASC Free, it has contributed IObit a lot.

Cheers.

Hi infoleather

Yes - I am sure that SmartDefrag has benefitted IObit immensely by creating an enormous amount of goodwill.

SD was originally developed by a teenager that IObit took under it's wings and gave an education. He probably originally did it out of interest and to see if he could. I am very glad that these kinds of people exists.

Makes one think that there is hope for the human race!

Since then SD has developed into an even better defragmenter, and IObit has promised that it will always be free.

Good ideas will always be welcomed by IObit I wager, - but we must always remember that special wishes from expert users may not be precisely what the general public expects from the program and I suspect that IObit will take that into consideration too.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi infoleather, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

Developed free softwares are for to make the producing company well known.

Smart Defrag 2 being a great defragmenter software and vastly developed in time is a good example of it, which had a lot of appraisals all over the web, together with ASC Free, it has contributed IObit a lot.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Archived