IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IObit SmartDefrag v2 Beta 1.0

KOR

Hello everyone-

I see at MajorGeeks that there is a new 'beta' of SD. I am thinking of trying it out. The interface is redesigned very nicely. New additions.

Interested in anyone trying it out and their opinions.

KOR-

Installed Beta 1 just now.

The interface looks like Panda Antivirus.

I really don't care for it. What happend to just a nice plain interface that matches my GUI.

Anyway, after install it gets an error but you can chose to ignore it.

Seems to work ok, havent tried to reboot yet to test its boot defrag.

Still doesn't display what data is in the cubes on the drive map.

Hi iTEPB

Did you install over the top? _ If so please try a Clean Install (links in my signature)

The information in just one cube could in some cases easily fill several pages of information - do you really need that?

Cheers

solbjerg

Installed Beta 1 just now.

The interface looks like Panda Antivirus.

I really don't care for it. What happend to just a nice plain interface that matches my GUI.

Anyway, after install it gets an error but you can chose to ignore it.

Seems to work ok, havent tried to reboot yet to test its boot defrag.

Still doesn't display what data is in the cubes on the drive map.

~~De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum!~~

My first impression is : VERY GOOD!

If you ask me, taste is a personal preference and can not be compared as the color not too. :mrgreen:

For example, I liked the GUI very much and and I am not young as much as a kid. :-P :lol: :wink:

The resizable GUI window is great, but non-ability to change the color legends of the blocks is a backward step.

Boot-time defrag is what we were waiting for a long long time, but lacking the exclution of files from defragmentation is a great weakness.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

I was of course interested in seeing how the boot time defrag worked, so I configured it for that purpose to start at every boot.

I also chose the option to run a chkdsk beforehand.

This all went well, but possibly one small glitch I think, I had chosen to have it generate a log of the action, but afterwards the Log folder was empty??

Even if my computer was ship-shape it ought to have said that I feel.

The interface is ok (it is readable :smile: ) - they must have spent quite some time in making the small blocks very cube-like, but as enoskype said it was not a smart move to remove the possibility to change the colors of the legend.

An extra skin might also be good.

I suspect that they have released it a bit premature for the sake of the impatient :smile: so we will probably see these functions being added soon. :smile:

Generally though it seems to be a fine improvement of the very good old one!!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. My computer now seems to respond a bit faster and more precise than it did before the boot defrag.

p.p.s. No language folder as yet :-)

If you ask me, taste is a personal preference and can not be compared as the color not too. :mrgreen:

For example, I liked the GUI very much and and I am not young as much as a kid.

The resizable GUI window is great, but non-ability to change the color legends of the blocks is a backward step.

Boot-time defrag is what we were waiting for a long long time, but lacking the exclution of files from defragmentation is a great weakness.

Cheers.

$UsnJrnl:$DATA & MFT Zone

Hi IObit Guy,

In Windows7, I have noticed that boot-time defrag did not defragment :

C:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$DATA

This is the most fragmented of all system files and fragmentation increases rapidly over time.

I would strongly advice to put the ability of defragmenting Usn Journal at boot-time defrag, as it will be the only free defragmenter second to an only one paid deframenter doing that.

The fragmentation of this file is the most probable reason for, boot-time defrag at every boot, option.

Also, although MFT in my PC was not fragmented before defragmentation, I have expected off-line defrag of SD to put MFT and MFT Enlargement Area adjacent, of which they were not put together!

It is important to keep MFT as one piece over time.

It is also important with today's disk capacities to keep the size of MFT Enlargement Area much less that 12.5% of the total disk capacity.

[I take this opprtunity to say that the option of making the size bigger in Game Booster's System Tweaks, with the registry value 2 (25% of the total disk capacity) as default is not a good idea.]

One more thing: A link to Configure in Boot Time Defrag tab like the one in Automatic Defrag will be useful.

I will repeat the need for two musts-- File Exclusion and color changable Map legends.

Other comments in general and about function of SD2 Beta in XP sp3 will follow....

Cheers.

I just recently boot defrag my computer.. i saw a bug on boot defrag.. there is an option that if i press ESCAPE boot defrag it will stop:sad:.. but i press it for many times it didn't stop then I just wait it to finish..

Great GUI but Slow OPTIMIZING compared to SD 1.5..

It is in Beta Stage.. i expect bugs in this software..:lol:

Solid Work as Always

As an IOBit convert from other software packages I am continually impressed by the quality work your programming team puts out.

That being said here are my pros and cons:

I love the new interface, but i have seen a number of people express otherwise. Maybe the addition of a 'classic' skin, create your own skin, or just a few choices for skins.

Please add the automatic uninstall of old versions to the list. I had a few complications (since my older version was running in memory) but nothing that uninstalling both and re-installing the beta back in didn't fix.

I agree with enoskype on the file exclusions. Preferably for both boot time and standard defrag routines.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Jonas

Archived