IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag beta 2.0 is seriously flawed.

Hi,

This is my first thread (yay).

I have a compulsive obsession to always want to most up to date software on my PC. So ever since the Smart Defrag 2 beta came out, i had been using it. Then, last night, after telling Smart Defrag to turn off my PC when it was done defragging, i was awoken to weird scratching sounds from my hard drive. I flicked on my monitor to find that my computer had gone into some weird sleep mode kind of thing, however, when i signed into my pc, it loaded all my programs like it had just turned it on. I decided to revert back to Smart Defrag 1.5, and i am now scared of the difference between the two softwares. On 1.5 i ran an "analyze" and it took approxamitley 5 seconds. Whereas on Smart Defrag 2, it took 20 minutes. I then told 1.5 to defrag, and it took my fragmentation rate of 4.81 percent down to 0 in 2 minutes. I was outraged because though i ran heavy optimizes every night on Smart Defrag 2, it told that there was not enough space to move aproxamitley 2 gigs of TF2 files and 4 gigs of Metro 2033 texture files, despite me having 21 gigs of free space. Yet 1.5 managed to defrag all my files in no time. I dont know if im just the odd ball out of all your beta testers, but from my point of view, it's going to be a long time before i upgrade to Smart Defrag 2.0.

Oh, and my OS is windows Vista Home premium Service Pack 2, im running a Hitachi 7200 RPM drive that is in good condition and is not in RAID or anything.

Hi Bobking

Sorry to hear that you have problems!

Which version are you using- 2.0.0.899?

Have you tried a clean install?

You say that you have 21GB free space - ok - but out of how large a drive? 21 out of 500 is only 4.2% (this is the reason I advocate the use of percentage in relation to free space).

The chosen settings - what are/were they?

I haven't run into trouble yet using the application, - but I haven't tried all possible options yet.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

This is my first thread (yay).

I have a compulsive obsession to always want to most up to date software on my PC. So ever since the Smart Defrag 2 beta came out, i had been using it. Then, last night, after telling Smart Defrag to turn off my PC when it was done defragging, i was awoken to weird scratching sounds from my hard drive. I flicked on my monitor to find that my computer had gone into some weird sleep mode kind of thing, however, when i signed into my pc, it loaded all my programs like it had just turned it on. I decided to revert back to Smart Defrag 1.5, and i am now scared of the difference between the two softwares. On 1.5 i ran an "analyze" and it took approxamitley 5 seconds. Whereas on Smart Defrag 2, it took 20 minutes. I then told 1.5 to defrag, and it took my fragmentation rate of 4.81 percent down to 0 in 2 minutes. I was outraged because though i ran heavy optimizes every night on Smart Defrag 2, it told that there was not enough space to move aproxamitley 2 gigs of TF2 files and 4 gigs of Metro 2033 texture files, despite me having 21 gigs of free space. Yet 1.5 managed to defrag all my files in no time. I dont know if im just the odd ball out of all your beta testers, but from my point of view, it's going to be a long time before i upgrade to Smart Defrag 2.0.

Oh, and my OS is windows Vista Home premium Service Pack 2, im running a Hitachi 7200 RPM drive that is in good condition and is not in RAID or anything.

Hi Bobking

I think it would be good to move several/all of your largest picture/video/sound files to another drive.

Currently you only have 14,19% free space and 15% as minimum is recommeded/required by most defragmentation applications.

Cheers

solbjerg

thanks for your response, ya, i was running 2.0.0.899.

no, i havent done a clean install, i dont see how thats causing issues. my total formatted drive capacity is 148gigs.

I was running default settings.

tried everything

i cant. ive been doing everything i can to clean out my hard drive. im down to only 3 r 4 games out of my proud collection of 80 installed, and all my videos and pictures are on a different drive. But i decded to just format my hard disk and reinstall everything. Thank you so much for your help with this issue. wish me luck.

Best of luck Bob :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

i cant. ive been doing everything i can to clean out my hard drive. im down to only 3 r 4 games out of my proud collection of 80 installed, and all my videos and pictures are on a different drive. But i decded to just format my hard disk and reinstall everything. Thank you so much for your help with this issue. wish me luck.

• 1 year later...

Hard drive failure probable

:mrgreen:Hi Bob,

;-)as soon as you said this " i was awoken to weird scratching sounds from my hard drive " i was pretty certain your hard drive has wrecked itself. I have seen this problem so many times. Usually the bearing wear, then the reader scratches up the platters, so wrecking the data, and you have all the crazy problems you are experiencing.

:lol:In general, when someone says that a program like ASC or Smart Defrag has wrecked their computer, you immediately know they have a problem with their computer, and the instance is a coincidence.

:twisted:As a very VERY rough guide, here is the RELIABLE LIFE OF A HARD DRIVE, provided they are mounted motor up in free air, to let the heat escape from the motor, after that they can be used as backup.

Server on all the time = 2 years

Commercial 8 hours mon to fri = 3 years

Heavy domestic 4 hours daily = 4 years

Medium domestic 2 hours daily = 5 years

Light domestic sporadic use = 6 years

:oops:OK, it's not the end of the world but a big nuisance. You have to get a new hard drive, and reinstall windows. While your at it, you would be wise to upgrade to Windows 7, by phoning Microsoft, and explaining the situation. In the meantime, copy your data on to your backup hard drive.

:roll:Regards Bill3333

Well, i appreciate the response, bro. I don't know why you are helping me with a thread more than a year old, but i appreciate it. Anyway, you are right, my drive was going bad. Fortunately, i'm on a new self-built rig with some Caviar Blacks in there, and it works like a charm. Thanks for taking the time to respond though. I'll keep your advice in mind if the issue pops up again.

• 3 months later...
Well, i appreciate the response, bro. I don't know why you are helping me with a thread more than a year old, but i appreciate it. Anyway, you are right, my drive was going bad. Fortunately, i'm on a new self-built rig with some Caviar Blacks in there, and it works like a charm. Thanks for taking the time to respond though. I'll keep your advice in mind if the issue pops up again.

The threads remain open here to help all users/visitors/members who may experience this problem in the future. I appreciate your post back Bobking11.:-) I am glad your problem is resolved!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived