IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"State" panel fills up

Hi jsallen

Please provide some screenshots and a copy of your Analyze file.

Hopefully you do not use the automatic functions in both programs!

Do you have many black immovable blocks?

What are your settings in the programs?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. By the way the newest and stable version of SD is 1.50

SD2 is still in beta!

I have a 931 GB drive with over 250 GB free, yet in either SD 2.0 or SD 1.45, only about 1/10 of the little squares in the panel indicate free space. As I defragged, more of them filled. What gives?

Screen shot and comments

I attach a screen shot.

This is after I stopped the defragmentation in the middle of about the third run on this 931 MB drive which had been highly fragmented. The amount of free space shown in the map has actually increased somewhat with repeated runs after the first one. I also note the large amount of data which the map still indicates is fragmented. This decreases somewhat with repeated runs. Perhaps the reason for the small amount of free space shown is that there are partially-filled blocks, but only completely empty blocks are indicated as free. The Properties dialog box in Windows Explorer indicates the actual amount of free space.

As to turning off the automatic defragmenting: yes, I did. But please note that I did not have an easy time finding how to do that. Automatic defragmentation is the default on installation, and so is "launch program on installation", the stop and pause buttons do not work when this is selected, the only indication is a tiny and easily overlooked icon in the taskbar's tray -- such icons usually only indicating functions which may be summoned -- and I had to go into the task manager to see what was hogging my computer's resources, then go away from the state tab into the settings tab in SmartDefrag to find the checkbox which would turn off this feature. I have discussed these issues and others in another thread which I started yesterday.

Hi jsallen

A pause or a stop will take some time to take effect (often many seconds) - the program will have to place the picked up fragments in their correct locations before closing.

Closing the program like pulling the plug can in some cases lead to a non-responding computer, because the fragments it holds just drop down just where the reading head happens to be.

With such a big drive as yours and very fragmented, the prudent course is to run a defrag only the first times, then an optimizing one when that is concluded satisfactorily - and these processes can take a very long time indeed given the size and the fragmentation level.

Given the circumstances by you I think I would only use the stable version SD 1.50 for the job - I might even have tried the Windows default defrag as the first try, given the size of the drive and the large level of fragmentation.

What does/did the Analyze say before you initiated the defragmentation?

Thinking about defragmentation is a good thread to read. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Your K drive only has about 7% free space!!

I attach a screen shot.

This is after I stopped the defragmentation in the middle of about the third run on this 931 MB drive which had been highly fragmented. The amount of free space shown in the map has actually increased somewhat with repeated runs after the first one. I also note the large amount of data which the map still indicates is fragmented. This decreases somewhat with repeated runs. Perhaps the reason for the small amount of free space shown is that there are partially-filled blocks, but only completely empty blocks are indicated as free. The Properties dialog box in Windows Explorer indicates the actual amount of free space.

As to turning off the automatic defragmenting: yes, I did. But please note that I did not have an easy time finding how to do that. Automatic defragmentation is the default on installation, and so is "launch program on installation", the stop and pause buttons do not work when this is selected, the only indication is a tiny and easily overlooked icon in the taskbar's tray -- such icons usually only indicating functions which may be summoned -- and I had to go into the task manager to see what was hogging my computer's resources, then go away from the state tab into the settings tab in SmartDefrag to find the checkbox which would turn off this feature. I have discussed these issues and others in another thread which I started yesterday.

Archived