IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Can't analyse or defrag past 17%

Hi,

I have just installed (from scratch) Defrag beta 2.0.

I have used all default settings and clicked analyse. It gets to 17% and stops/freezes.

If I defrag, it gets to 17% and stops/freezes.

I have rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, and yet everytime it gets to 17% and stops/freezes. The filename is always different.

I had already switched off my Kaspersky AV.

Task Manager says Defrag2 is still busy - but it goes no further than 17% - i have left it running for quite a while.

I am up to date with all latest XP patches.

No other software is running.

No IOBIT (or other) software is running in the background.

Thanks, Kevin.

Hi dadslo

Please read Usage of IObit Products and Thinking about defragmentation

Please report the size of your disk and the amount of free space.

What kind of files take up the space by you?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

I have just installed (from scratch) Defrag beta 2.0.

I have used all default settings and clicked analyse. It gets to 17% and stops/freezes.

If I defrag, it gets to 17% and stops/freezes.

I have rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, and yet everytime it gets to 17% and stops/freezes. The filename is always different.

I had already switched off my Kaspersky AV.

Task Manager says Defrag2 is still busy - but it goes no further than 17% - i have left it running for quite a while.

I am up to date with all latest XP patches.

No other software is running.

No IOBIT (or other) software is running in the background.

Thanks, Kevin.

Are you saying the 'Analyzing' portion of the test sequence freezes at 17%

or is the 'Defragmenting' portion that freezes?

Or Both?

If it is the Defragmenting portion then the most common cause is that the Hard-drive is Too Full, and something will have to be removed or moved to another drive, if it is?

If the 'Analyze' portion freezes also, I'm not sure if a Full drive can cause that, though?

I have never let one get Too Full, to find out.

I have left it running for quite a while

How Long is "quite a while"?

The First time it can take about an Hour to defrag a Large and very fragmented drive and Hours to Optimize them. (depending on speed of system of course)

(after first time it will go very quickly)

My guess is that you may not be Waiting long enough, since the percentage counter changes in Jumps, not continuious count-up.

Please report the size of your disk and the amount of free space.

What kind of files take up the space by you?

Capacity 465GB

Used 227GB

Free 237 GB

No Games installed; only 'normal' stuff such as music, some videos, boring applications. Only use the PC for internet and MS Office.

Are you saying the 'Analyzing' portion of the test sequence freezes at 17%

or is the 'Defragmenting' portion that freezes?

Or Both?

It is the Analysing that gets stuck. When i select Defrag, it tries to Analyse first. It never gets to Defrag because it gets stuck on Analyse at 17%.

How Long is "quite a while"?

The First time it can take about an Hour to defrag a Large and very fragmented drive and Hours to Optimize them. (depending on speed of system of course)

As above, it is not even getting to Defrag - getting stuck on Analyse.

To be clear, this application cannot complete Analyse (left running for an hour) and so has not even started a Defrag.

I have installed the same application on my laptop (capacity 111GB, used 25GB, free 86GB) and it completes the Analyse part in under 30 seconds.

Ok dadslo

That looks fine!

The option to leave out very large files - have that been tried?

Have you previously had SD v. 1.50 installed?

Have you tried if Windows own defragmentation can do the job?

Cheers

solbjerg

Capacity 465GB

Used 227GB

Free 237 GB

No Games installed; only 'normal' stuff such as music, some videos, boring applications. Only use the PC for internet and MS Office.

It is the Analysing that gets stuck. When i select Defrag, it tries to Analyse first. It never gets to Defrag because it gets stuck on Analyse at 17%.

As above, it is not even getting to Defrag - getting stuck on Analyse.

To be clear, this application cannot complete Analyse (left running for an hour) and so has not even started a Defrag.

I have installed the same application on my laptop (capacity 111GB, used 25GB, free 86GB) and it completes the Analyse part in under 30 seconds.

Sounds like there may be data errors on drive.

As Solbjerg suggest, the next thing to try is another Defrag version or program. That will tell us if there is a compatibility problem with version 2, or if the problem is with your drive data.

If you determine it's the drive, then you may need to run the DOS hard-drive repair utility called Check-disk:

chkdsk /f

(which is installed with Windows and is run from Windows Command Line)

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem : Analyse stop at 18%

Hi. I used regulary Smart Defrag 1.5 without problem about every week.

Today, I installed Smart Defrag 2 and the analyse froze or stop at 18% always on a small file (under 100 Ko).

I have 2 partitions :

First : 37.3 GB - Free 8.02 GB

Second : 155 GB - Free 25.5 GB

On the first partition, no problem.

On the second, the analyze stop at 18% and the CPU and Disk usage come back to normal like nothing is running.

I tried to use the Windows defragement. No problem.

I made a test disk (CHKDSK). No problem.

My machine is a Windows XP Pro, SP 3, 1.5 Go Memory.

I use Avast and Comodo like protection.

I would like to know if the problem can be fix (I can always come back to Smart Defrag 1.5, but I like to be up to date ;-))

Thanks for any answer.

Please explain above statement?

'Chkdsk' is a utility program that checks for and fixes errors on hard-drive.

It's Not a 'Test-disk'.

Did you Run the chkdsk /f or /r DOS level program?

chkdsk /f

Certainly sounds like there may be Errors on drive.

hi daulphin

First you are close to the 15% of free space (16,45%), - but that should work nevertheless :-)

What kind of files do you have on that partition - very large ones?

There may be a problem by you with contiguous space.

Do you run Defrag Only first?

Did you uninstall/and delete the folder of 1.5 prior to installing version 2?

And as Toppack asks did you run the complete chkdsk (chkdsk /r) or the chkdsk /f switch?

How did you determine that the program stopped? How long did you wait?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi. I used regulary Smart Defrag 1.5 without problem about every week.

Today, I installed Smart Defrag 2 and the analyse froze or stop at 18% always on a small file (under 100 Ko).

I have 2 partitions :

First : 37.3 GB - Free 8.02 GB

Second : 155 GB - Free 25.5 GB

On the first partition, no problem.

On the second, the analyze stop at 18% and the CPU and Disk usage come back to normal like nothing is running.

I tried to use the Windows defragement. No problem.

My machine is a Windows XP Pro, SP 3, 1.5 Go Memory.

I use Avast and Comodo like protection.

I would like to know if the problem can be fix (I can always come back to Smart Defrag 1.5, but I like to be up to date ;-))

Thanks for any answer.

SD 1.5 and SD 2.0 works w/less than 5% free

For me: SD 1.5(?) and SD 2.0 works well w/less than 5% free space on a 233 GB HDD.

I found SD after choking my HDD. With the help of SD I am slowly recovering the use of the HDD and have had no problems with "freezing".

I have worked my way up to 10% free but am still well below the recommeded 15% to 20% free space.

In case there are issues with larger drives I noted that my HDD is 233 GB.

Regards. JJ

That's Good Information!

I think it's the Smaller drives that are more likely to have that problem?

So, when Larger drives see the problem there must be Something Else involved, other than overall size and actual available space?

Such as extremely large files or file types that look different to SD, in some way?

Thanks,

I think it's the Smaller drives that are more likely to have that problem?

Hi Toppack,

You are right, as the probability of available large contiguous free space is much more in larger drives.

Think about a 2GB large single file to be defragmented in a 50GB disk and a 250GB disk, both with 10% free space:

Where 10% of a 50GB drive is 5GB, and 10% of 250GB drive is 25GB.

The probability of an existance of 2GB contiguous free space in 5GB free space is far less than the probability of 2GB contiguous free space in 25GB free space during defragmentation. :idea:

I think the min. 15% rule (phenomena) was set when the hard disk sizes were around 50-70GBs and the used sizes for files were a bit smaller. (Large sizes of iso and media files today have not got larger relatively as the "TB" sizes of HDs have got.)

Cheers.

I think the min. 15% rule (phenomena) was set when the hard disk sizes were around 50-70GBs and the used sizes for files were a bit smaller.

Yep, that sounds correct!

So, with 2TB drives the percentage is probably down to about 1% or so. :-D

Which means that Everyone needs to go Trade-In their Old drives for New 2.TB drives! :-D

Archived