IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Solid State Drives Trim - enable or disable

jonnyb

I have a solid state drive. I use Smart Defrag on it which shows me that when I defrag it calls it Trim instead of course. I have Optimize turned off on my hard drive because I use Smart Defrag instead. At least I think I have it turned off. I did a check in dos to see what it says about my Trim being disable or enabled. These are my results:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

Do I need to enable this trim in Dos for my trim to work even though I am using Smart Defrag? Or am I fine if I keep it where it is and use Smart Defrag once a month?

SD gives you the option to replace windows defrag with SD, which you have obviously chosen, so SD is now your default program.

Therefore SD now performs your Trim.

You do not state whether you are using Auto Defrag or a manual Defrag.

If you are using Auto you can select optimise in the Auto Defrag settings.

If you are using Manual Defrag you can select optimise in the Scan options.

Once you choose to to make SD your default defrag in SD settings, then you do not have to do anything in Windows as SD does it for you.

Also you should note that in SD settings you should identify your drive as an SSD not a HDD.

Also read the Disk Defrag section of the SD Product Manual.

https://www.iobit.com/product-manuals/sd-help/#Main%20Interface

Well it shows Hard Drive © NTFS at the top of the graphic but within the graphic is says SSD. So I suppose I don't have to do anything to that because there are no settings to change it. And it does say Trim below that graphic. OK, thanks. I always did turn off my Windows Defrag once I downloaded and started to use Smart Defrag on all my Windows though. Ok, thanks again.