IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

Hi Guys,

Good news. :-D::-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

We are preparing for Smart Defrag v4. Do you have any good ideas for Smart Defrag v4? Anything needs to be improved based on SD v3? Please do not hesitate to tell us your precious suggestions. Your voices are cruial to our SD v4.

You can post your suggestions here or send to sdfeedback@iobit.com.

If we adopt your suggestion, you can choose a product from IObit for free.

Looking forward to your brainstorm. Cheers. :-D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Hope my suggestions posted for SD3 get considered for SD4:

Here is the original post:

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=98705&postcount=70

And here they are again with additional comments:

IN RED ARE SOME ADDITIONS BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE WITH SD 3

1) SD run as a service not just as a startup program:

The reason for this is for SD to start working even if no user has logged in, this

is a must have for windows servers, but for other editions of windows it's also great because as soon as windows starts or a user logs off, SD is able to start working before loading some additional files, hence further optimizing the HDD.

2) make SD 64-bit:

32-bit programs works on 64-bit, but if a program "IS" 64-bit then it performs better in 64-bit environment. This could be handled in two different ways:

A) to have two installers, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit

B) that the installer has both versions, it will install 32 bit for 32 bit windows and 64 bit for 64 bit windows or let the user decide what version to install.

3) Allow to fully resize columns, list of drives and drive map (and any other layout item) and to store the new configuration, so that every time you open SD the customized layout presentation is preserved. I noticed that this point is well explained in this thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=15675 by enoskype

4) A more comprehensive boot time defrag:

Right now boot time defrags: Page file, Hibernation file, MFT and system files.

Would be great to add the default defrag methods to also be performed at boot time:

A) Defrag

B) Defrag and Fast Optimize

C) Defrag and Full Optimize

D) Defrag and prioritize

The reason?, for SD to further defrag and/or optimize the drive(s). Specially for the "C" drive, since some files could not even get defragmented by SD because they are in use. For example. If I have a startup program like an AV, firewall, etc. the open files are not defragmented and they are not considered system files, hence they are not defragmented with the current boot time defrag

And let the user choose when to do a “Boot Defrag”, “Boot Defrag and Fast Optimize”, and “Boot Defrag and Full Optimize”. and a "Boot Defrag and prioritize"

For example, the recommended boot time is every 7 day first boot.

So in a separate setting you could choose how often the other defrag methods will be run, and allow each method to be configured individually, for example:

Defrag - Every 7 day first boot

Defrag and Fast Optimize - Every 14 day first boot

Defrag and Full Optimize - Every 60 day first boot.

Defrag and prirotize - every 120 day on first boot.

Obviously Iobit would define the default setting, just as the "every 7 day first boot" for the current boot time. Perhaps the recommended setting will be to have disabled those additional 3 boot time defrag?

NOTE: i think Iobit approach for default settings has being great, so for novice users the default would work, and a more advanced or experienced user could further configure SD with those additional boot defrag methods (and other options as well)

5) SD to be aware when a USB drive is going to be safely remove:

Sometimes when you want to safely remove a USB flash drive or USB EHDD, SD will not allow to do that, even if the USB drive is not set for automatic defrag.

That feature should also work for USB drives that are set for automatic defrag and that are being defragmented, so SD detects the "Safely Remove" request and releases the drives for safe removal.

NOTE: I believe that this is already working with SD 3.1.0.319, since I has being able to safely remove my USB devices, just keep an eye on that so that SD4 also has this feature

6) Improve the drive map, so SD mark with a different color the page file, the hibernation file, the VSS files and the system files:

Doing so will give a better idea of how fragmented are those files, since at this moment all that files are all grouped as "ummovable files"

7) All users installation:

SD 2.9 installs only for the current user, so if another user logs then SD will not start. AND SD 3.1.0.319 also installs just for the current user

check my post regarding this topic:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=16678

This could be addressed with two methods:

1) Include an option to install to all users. and also to make sure that SD not only installs for all users, but that it will run for all users, even new users

2) Make SD to run as a service. I think this is the best approach, sine SD could start working without any user logged.

I would really like to see this approach of SD run as a service, this is the only way for making SD run without any user logged in, and so start optimizing and defragging the drives when the computer is idle AND no user has logged in yet.

Hope my suggestions get considered to improve SD :-D

Hope now they are considered for the upcoming SD4 :-D

• Like 2

Hi ektorbarajas,

Thanks for your detailed suggestions and explanations for Smnart Defrag v4.

I will report your suggestions to our products team for consideration. Hope we will have a breakthrough in this new version. :wink:

@All, welcome your precious suggestions. Cheers.

Hi.

Here another suggestion:

Automatic Update:

Currently when there is a new version, the software opens a webpage and you have to manually download and install the app.

Would be great to have an option to enable or disable "automatic updates", Then if automatic update is enabled to have two options:

1) Download and install updates automatically

2) Just download the update and notify the user

Either option should also display the changelog, the first one just after the update finished and the second one among the notification of a new version.

In case the setting "Automatic update" is disabled, then the update process will be done manually (as it is currently with SD3).

Regards

Another thought...

SD4 should have the ability to defrag ANY file/block via right click menu.Very simple but absolutely useful in some situations. The best Free Defragger right now is Defragler by Periform according to some reviews I have read and it DOES have the ability to scan/defrag individual files....:idea:

-Cowboy

Hi Cowboy,

SD has already the ability to defrag a file by choosing "Defrag by Smart Defrag" in the right click menu, and also you can choose the "+Add file.." option on the GUI to analyze and Defrag any file (or folder with "+Add folder...") with SD.

If you have meant right clicking on the GUI of SD, please disregard my post. ;-)

My first paragraph could only be an information for the ones who can misunderstand your post like myself. :-P

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi scrd01, dv8cowboy and dev3 ,

Sincerely thanks for your suggestions. :-D

@ dv8cowboy, hope enoskype's reply make everything clean.

@dev3, any details about " custom defrag option"? Because you can choose which disk to defrag and also you can choose the "+Add file.." option on the GUI to analyze and Defrag any file as enoskype said.;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi scrd01, dv8cowboy and dev3 ,

Sincerely thanks for your suggestions. :-D

@ dv8cowboy, hope enoskype's reply make everything clean.

@dev3, any details about " custom defrag option"? Because you can choose which disk to defrag and also you can choose the "+Add file.." option on the GUI to analyze and Defrag any file as enoskype said.;-)

The custom defrag "energy level" (sorry for having forgotten this)option should not only be of these things like what to defrag or how to defrag but use a way to decrease the battery consumption required for the defragmenter to run. Also the background processes may be terminated during defrag.

@dev3

EDIT: Another suggestion, add defrag from context menu.

The custom defrag "energy level" (sorry for having forgotten this)option should not only be of these things like what to defrag or how to defrag but use a way to decrease the battery consumption required for the defragmenter to run. Also the background processes may be terminated during defrag.

@dev3

EDIT: Another suggestion, add defrag from context menu.

The only way to decrease the power required to defrag, is to make the program more efficient, whch Iobit are continuously doing. You cannot have a user option to limit battery power when running a program.

Also, having Defrag stop or suspend processes is not a good idea. Stopping processes is a dangerous thing to do and should only be done by user action...never by a program like defrag etc...

• 3 weeks later...
Less ads and popups would be a great thing.

>>@dev3<<

The above would always be refreshingly welcomed, and preferred. If only we could banish them altogether. ;-)

And of course that which really goes without saying (but said nonetheless), wherever gains can be achieved without negatively affecting the other: reductions in system resource usage, improvements in overall performance (the three "s's": speed, stability, security), are always most welcome.

regards,

Laurence

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the picture wasn't as clear as I thought it was. Anyhow, when the thing's done defraging, there shouldn't be 500 empty segments in the middle of the data. [ideally, there should be exactly 0 spaces in the data, but the utility that makes that happen doesn't exist]

Also, sometimes the data doesn't need to be defraged, it simply needs to be drug forward on the disk.

What I'm suggesting has two parts:

1. At the end of the selected defrag cycle, the program consolidates the free space (by moving data forward where possible).

2. An option to consolidate free space when no defragging is necessary.

• Like 1

Add "No more than once in" feature to Automatic Defrag

Add No more than once in feature to Automatic Defrag.

This feature would allow users to decide how often their drives should be defragmented automatically.

No more than once in feature could look something like this:

http://content.screencast.com/users/RochLakatos/folders/Snagit/media/0b7bb58e-7a31-4549-9628-1939f5088161/07.14.2014-12.26.png

Drop down list example (slider with more time options would be even better)

http://content.screencast.com/users/RochLakatos/folders/Snagit/media/82ddc03b-81a7-4a57-9b38-8f30b7e3b03b/07.14.2014-12.27.png

No more than once in feature should be incorporated into this Smart Defrag 4 screen:

http://content.screencast.com/users/RochLakatos/folders/Snagit/media/1cfbb5fd-c9e4-4b42-9dca-17a652da7411/07.14.2014-12.27.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It would be great to get some trim support integrated into smart defrag. I say this because my SSD does not have its own utility to perform the trim I actually have to use Windows Defrag to do the trim. It would be a nice additional feature since Smart Defrag can replace windows defrag. I have to uncheck that box with SD3 so I would love for SD4 to have that functionality and be able to use just 1 defrag. :-D

• Like 1