IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 4 - Media Type detection is a challenge with Wiindows

mmcguirenc

With both SSD and HDD media types and different methodologies for optimization (Defrag or Trim) drive detection is paramount for a Disk defray program. After recently upgrading to Win 10, I noticed the system optimizer was seeing my System boot RAID0 volume as a SSD and my SSD RAID0 running under a Marvell 91xx controller as an HDD thus making it useless and forcing me to disable it and seek out a 3rd party solution. I have tried using WinSat to re-evaluate which has solved the issue for many but this did not work for me.

I'm happy to report that IOBits Defrag 4 is seeing my System boot RAID0 (intel X58 RST 14.5.0.1081) as a HDD allowing me to defrag, however my SSD Raid0 is also showing as a HDD volume. First I'm not sure if Iobit's defrag displays a distinction or that it lists all volumes as a HDD and yet is using Trim with the SSDs. If it should list SSDs as SSD then it's not working. I know in the past it wasn't possible to trim a SSD RAID however I believe under Win8+ this is now possible or am I misinformed? It's interesting that this option is not manually configurable which you would think solve the problem. Can you clarify how Defrag 4 reports and handles SSD Raid volumes.

Thanks!

H mmcguirenc, welcome to IObt Forum! :-)

You can change the format of a drive between SSD and HDD. Just click on the up&down arrow on the side of HDD or SSD, it will continuously change the format to SSD or HDD.

Please see the attached images! They are for the same laptop, only changed the format of the drive to be trimmed or degragged by clicking the up&down arrow.

Cheers.

Archived