IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

WIndows 10 severe crash

marcobost

Not sure, but I have to report this potential bug. The facts: I updated to Windows 10 ITA from Win8 ITA following the "auto" update of Windows and everything worked nice (I was amazed by it!).

Then, a day after, I was using the PC and suddenly it switched off and restarted. I read about the feature that is stored into advanced system options... anyway I was surprised to see it happening.

Today happened 2 more times and I started to think to some tool that could cause the problem. I looked at Smart Defrag and I saw it was working silently (as usual)... uhmmm, then I ran it at desktop and I started the defragmentation of the disk and during the process, a couple of minutes later, the system crashed and the PC restarted!

Then I stopped Smart Defrag after the PC restarted, but I found the start button, the search and the notifier popup of Windows 10 no longer working! I restored the PC to a previous point and now everything works nice again, but I disabled Smart Defrag.

What happened could be a casualty or not... I'm not very expert, but I think my PC stored info about the crash and I'm ready to provide it if someone asks for it and explain me what I must do.

I have also ASCU8 (paid version) installed and it works nice.

?Thank you

Hi marcobost,

Please kindly stay tuned on this issue to see whether your computer can works well without running Smart Defrag for a few days.

Hope you can get back to us few day later.:oops:

Thank you, I'll report in case of crashes, anyway I'm ready to follow any other instruction to get logs, etc.

Cicely, I investigated a little bit more today and maybe I understand the origin of the trouble, that is mainly to be addressed to Windows 10, but if we hope that someone in MS can take care of it if I write, I think we'll have to wait for the next century.

Well, what I noticed is that just after the installation of Windows 10, running ASCU8 --> CARE --> DISK SCAN, it no longer reports an error into my disk I got since years ago: it is impossible! It is impossible that installing Windows 10 my disk no longer gets the error.

Also running DISK DOCTOR I no longer has the error like in Windows 8.1, but, on the contrary, looking at the LOG I find several errors and I got 2 different log files in different time of the day (attached).

In addition I ran the MS utility for the defragmentation of the disk and, once again, at a certain point the PC crashed and auto restarted (like happened with SmartDefrag.

So I'm thinking the real issue is into the fact Windows 10 and also ASCU8 no longer identify the disk error (damaged sector, cluster...) and for this reason during the defragmentation process the tool goes to write there and everything crashes. As I said, I'm not expert, but I'm ready to provide any file you need and/or perform any action you suggest.

Thank you very much.

Cicely

I do not think it is that simple. From macrobost's description, it seems that both SD and Windows Defrag are trying to write to a damaged section of the disc and this is causing a system crash.

While it would seem that Windows 10 has a fault in that it is not recognising the damaged sectors and therefore marking them as unusable, I still think that Iobit needs to look at the problem as an attempt to write to an unusable sector shoulod not result in a complete system crash. Maybe a warning and a defrag abort would be the acceptable outcome, until such time as the Windows issue is recognised and addressed by microsoft.

Maybe it would help if Iobit made Microsoft aware of this issue.

Cicely, as I wrote "In addition I ran the MS utility for the defragmentation of the disk and, once again, at a certain point the PC crashed and auto restarted (like happened with SmartDefrag", also the MS defrag generated the same crash of SD.

For this reason, as Scannan wrote, I think the problem is not SD but the fact that ASCU8, as well as DISK DOCTOR, as well as MS similar tools, do not identify a damaged sector and this fact can generate the crash when SD or MS defrag try to write at a certain address.

Maybe I'm not using the right words to detail the problem... Anyway if I can send to you some interesting log, etc... here I am. The thing that is for sure useless is to write personally to MS. Again as Scannan said, you have for sure more chances than me to know if MS has info about this problem. Thank you in advance.

Hi marcobost,

You can try the method below waiting IObit to take an action in the mean time.

Please try chkdsk /r in elevated command prompt (Command Prompt Admin) which can be rselected in the menu by using ( windows+x ) keys.

Restart the PC and wait for completion (may take long time as more than 1 hour).

Restart again and try Windows Defragmenter. If it works, then try Smart Defrag and see if it works too.

Cheers.

Hi Enoskype, I performed some actions and this is the report (not very easy to explain...)

1. ran chkdsk /r, restarted and waited for restarting: at 17% the procedure "stopped" for half an hour or more, before and after it ran fast.

2. I tried the MS defrag and it crashed as usual

3. I ran again chkdsk /r after the restart, but I also changed 2 values into Win10: in case of update, to plan the restart and in system, advanced to do not restart the pc automatically (this last hoping to read some more info or blue screen in case of crash)

4. after the restart, after chkdsk /r (this time stopped for few seconds at 86%), I ran SmartDefrag:

A. ONLY DEFRAG: passed, worked fine

B. DEFRAG and FAST OPTIMIZATION: passed, worked fine

C: DEFRAG and FULL OPT.: crashed once again!

5. ran chkdsk /r and restarted: EXACTLY at 17% stopped for one hour (more or less), EXACTLY like the first time

Please note:

- on WIN8.1 I NEVER had similar problem

- the restore of checkdisk stays long time at 17% (I do not think it is a casualty)

- I suspect more than before that it is a Win10 problem about the identification of some damaged sectors or so on

MAYBE the fact SD works correctly in case of only defrag and defrag+fast BUT NOT with the FULL optimization should be a good input for iObit coders. (Cicely, what do you think?)

I'm ready for other tests or for sending some log...

Thank you.

Thanks marcobost, this is valuable info.

I will leave it to Cicely for more tests, as the defrag logic of Defrag and Full Optimization is only known to IObit.

On top of yours, my guess is also that the crash may also concern permissions of some system files.

Have you checked the health of you disk(s) by other 3rd part tools? Some can be found here .

Cheers.

Thank you very much. I hope that iObit will take care to this issue and that it will be fixed so again I'll enjoy the useful SD features. At the moment I can use it only on other disks that are not the boot-able one. And, after the update to Windows 10, my C: drive really needs a good optimization.

Hi Enoskype, I performed some actions and this is the report (not very easy to explain...)

1. ran chkdsk /r, restarted and waited for restarting: at 17% the procedure "stopped" for half an hour or more, before and after it ran fast.

MAYBE the fact SD works correctly in case of only defrag and defrag+fast BUT NOT with the FULL optimization should be a good input for iObit coders. (Cicely, what do you think?)

I'm ready for other tests or for sending some log...

Thank you.

Hi marcobost,

Please find and zip all files under C:\windows\Minidump and send them to us.

Besides, please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/SDInfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop, please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Thanks in advance. :)

trying in Edge, it works. Thank you.

BTW, yesterday I updated manually to the latest NVIDIA drivers 358.50 and during the installation the system crashed. I had to perform SCNDSK /R and again disk worked for long time at 17%. Then I reistalled the NVIDIA drivers and he installation ran nicely.

I would only highlight that I NEVER had similar problems in the past years and everything started just ended the upgrade to Windows10: can do it a casualty? Everything is possible, but I'm almost sure it depends of something changed into how Win10 manages the disk/memory... vs. Win8.1

Thank you Cicely for the time you are dedicating to my issue, thank you very much!

Hi marcobost,

Our engineer has looked into the issue and found that the blue screen is caused by system driver nvlddmkm.sys.

Could you please let us know your PC brand and type?

Besides, please download http://www.cd4o.com/drivers/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe, then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get zipped file db_info_xxxx.zip on your desktop, please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Thank you Cicely! I was just writing to you because I also tested the PC to look at the crash and the most seems depending of same reason, also if yesterday I updated the NVIDIA drivers:

On Thu 08/10/2015 18.15.39 your computer crashed

This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE0011B9854C0, 0xFFFFF800C8822D28, 0x0, 0xD)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100815-19890-01.dmp

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 358.50

company: NVIDIA Corporation

description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 358.50

Attached you will find all info about the PC? that is a DELL XPX 630i of Dec. 2008. I updated memory (totally new 8GB) and the graphic adapter (GTX580) a couple of years ago without reporting any crash or issue during the last years. AT this point the origin of the crash seems to be the NVIDIA driver, but I still think to the why disk seems now perfect.

Thank you and please let me know. In the meantime I can write into the nvidia forum...

Cicely, I'm really sorry to disturb you again, but in this forum only seems people are fair and you are explaining to me in a sincere way. I looked at several forums, sites, threads... and I'm much more convinced the issue starts from MS and NVIDIA together. On one side NVIDIA for sure must fix its bug, but I think it started by MS and Windows10. I also found people that, like me, think something is also related to the HD sectors, in case damaged, that Windows10 seems no longer identify.

Maybe I need to live this bug, because my PC is old and maybe NVIDIA will never take care of the issue if it can be partially related to it... bah...

Now I just tried to get the compressed original file that seems to give the crash, pasted into another folder, expanded it and replaced the one into the system32. Just an attempt. I'll see when I'll get the next crash.

Thank you

OS still crashes... less than before but crashes... sometime mouse and keyboards stops to work for a second or two... exactly what I found surfing. I hoped ASCU8 that I have licensed was able to fix the bug... but after it fixes registry etc... nothing changes in a better way.

It sounds to me like a memory issue. The symptoms you describe in your last post, are those normally associated with memory issues such as a dodgy or failed memory chip. Also, windows 10 requires more memory, so if you have upgraded an old machine to windows 10, your system may not be able to handle it.

These symptoms can also be associated with a Hard drive which is starting to fail.

Well, I've found thousands of same issue on the web. Everything started with the well known problem Win10--NVIDIA driver. I have got more than 10 crashes in the last 2 days and analyzing them each time the fault is nvlddmkm.sys

Now I tried to made a clean install of the NVIDIA driver, following this post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-videotdrfailure-nvlddmkmsys-video-tdr/1719728a-e5dd-4d5f-93e2-e3497e193aad?page=14&msgId=dd1c4cd1-47a5-44d7-a138-7f22cd324886

8GB or RAM and just tested also if I was sure it was okay. But as you suiggested Scannan, any attempt could be the good one.

I want to thank you again all you guys that are helping me and I'll report in the next days how many crashes after the "microsoft forum" attempt.

Archived