IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Worried about possible dangers, please help!

SuperKingNicolas

So recently, my laptop has been running extremely slow. I told a friend about my issue and he pointed me to this site and suggested I download the Smart Defrag program.

Though he advised me that defragging in general runs a 1% risk every time to completely break your harddrive (to the point where you now need a new one, need to reinstall windows, etc.).

I was still unsure so I showed him my disk drives through my Device Manager, I currently have a "TOSHIBA" MQ02ABD100H", he informed me that this is essentially a hybrid and is basically half a normal SSD and half a normal HDD so he wasn't sure what to do in that case because the files would still be fragmented, but the SSD part may be damaged. Though he mentioned if I did use the program it'd be a good guess that this 1% risk would raise itself up to %4.

(He said that the damage would have the possibility of happening when it starts cleaning out my windows files for any tmp jumk. As well as the result of the damage is that it would create is towards how it reads and writes, so if I try to open an image if it breaks it can open it with artifacts or may simply throw a memory error at me)

My question is, is there any danger in general with defragging as my friend said? As well as, due to me having a hybrid as me mentioned, am I in any greater danger and should I just not even defrag in the first place?

Hello SuperKingNicolas,

This is Cicely from IObit Support Team. Welcome to our forum.

Smart Defrag won't ruin any disks ro cause any system problems when optimize the disk.

In fact, it is not recommended to defrag any HDD very often.

For a SSD, it is recommended to trim rather than defrag it.

Please feel free to contact us if any further question. Meanwhile, you can email us.

Cheers. :)

Hello SuperKingNicolas,

This is Cicely from IObit Support Team. Welcome to our forum.

Smart Defrag won't ruin any disks ro cause any system problems when optimize the disk.

In fact, it is not recommended to defrag any HDD very often.

For a SSD, it is recommended to trim rather than defrag it.

Please feel free to contact us if any further question. Meanwhile, you can email us.

Cheers. :)

Cicely, the user has a hybrid drive, which is both ssd and hdd, so how does the user Trim and defrag this drive?. I am assuming that this drive is not partitioned because then there would be no issue. So if it is a single non-partitioned drive, how will the user Trim and Defrag it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cicely, the user has a hybrid drive, which is both ssd and hdd, so how does the user Trim and defrag this drive?. I am assuming that this drive is not partitioned because then there would be no issue. So if it is a single non-partitioned drive, how will the user Trim and Defrag it.

I know right, I was kinda disappointed to see they didn't notice that ;c

Hi,

If the diks is a HSSD, it can be defraged to optimize the disk performance.

If I misunderstood the post, please let me know.

Cheers

How will this impact the SSD portion of the drive since defragging is not recommended for SSD's.

Archived