IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Please Help Me!

ceo54

Hello,

I used Smart Defrag 5 with "Defrag and Prioritize files" options. After completion I noticed that the Free space which was around 56 GB is now 20 GB's. I ran the defrag again with "Degrag and optimize" option and after completion it used another 4 GB's of my space. I need to get this free space back.

Why is it happening? Is there any point in defragging if it wipes out so much free space from your HDD ? It has only happened with the D: partition, other are seem to be alright.

Now I'm afraid to do anything with it, I've got important official data on this partition which I can't afford to loose. It's good that I actually used it before purchasing it.

Does anyone has any ideas why it might have happened and how can I get this space back ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: forgot to mention my HDD is formatted in NTFS and it is not a system drive!

Thank you.

Digging up into it, I've discovered that the space is used by system restore points. BUT these restore points can't be deleted in any possible way even with the live CD. Why your program creates restore points without asking ? and if creates why can't it delete ? I don't have the means to buy a new HDD. I will tell everyone about my experience, I will post on all the boards I know of and all the IRC channels I hang out on. Thank you very much for your assistance. Why do you care? it's just a random faceless avatar sayin something you can easily disregard. Live your happy lives.

Digging up into it, I've discovered that the space is used by system restore points. BUT these restore points can't be deleted in any possible way even with the live CD. Why your program creates restore points without asking ? and if creates why can't it delete ? I don't have the means to buy a new HDD. I will tell everyone about my experience, I will post on all the boards I know of and all the IRC channels I hang out on. Thank you very much for your assistance. Why do you care? it's just a random faceless avatar sayin something you can easily disregard. Live your happy lives.

Hi ceo54

I am sure your post will encourage other users to assist you.

In the meantime I suggest you take a walk a coffee and calm down. There is certainly no need to get a new HDD. If you have determined that the culprit is System Restore, then it is easily rectified. Most of the restore points can be removed, just be sure to keep some in case you have issues down the road. In fact it is quite easy to have System Restore completely reset back to zero. You can also change the settings on how much space System Restore will use. So I suggest you get googling on System Restore.

To get you started, HERE is a link describing how to gain access to your System Volume Information Folder which contains the System Restore Point files ( read fully and take great care)

Hi ceo54,

This is Cicely from IObit.

Sorry to hear the problem you encountered.

To look into the issue, please download the tool from: http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD5InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers~

Archived