IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC w AV and Bit Defender

That is an excellent graphic report!:-D Who or what company tested and generated this report?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I think it was AV-Comparatives. avast! Forum members post it somewhat irregularly on the avast! Forum.

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of AV Software

That was Real-World Protection test, did you check THIS File Detection test at the same place Toppack? Don't be dissapointed. ;-)

All different tests can be seen on pdf files THERE. (Comperatives on the left pane)

Summary Reports for 2011 is interesting to examine.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Yes! The comparison of security level is a complicated issue (many-sided)

One of the things I really like about MSE is that it doesn't interfere much with the operation of the computer and doesn't use too many resources and doesn't give you many false positives.

So one has to evaluate the pros/cons for oneself.

My assessment of MSE place it at approximately the same level as AVG - this was an assessment I had prior to seeing these comparisons - and seeing them haven't really changed that opinion.

Cheers

solbjerg

Did you check THIS file detection test at the same place Toppack?

Don't be dissapointed. ;-)

Cheers.

I have read that MSE can not be used on W8. This is probably due to the fact that Windows Defender on W8 is a complete anti-malware program and uses the same virus definitions as MSE

When I first started using W8-DP I used Windows Defender. I kept using it until avast! came out with version 7 which is W8 compatible. There were several reasons I went back to avast! even though Windows Defender provided very good malware protection. One of those was opening some web pages while using Windows Defender took a very look time. A number even required a reload to render.

Now I use

1. avast! AIS 7

2. ASC w AV in compatibility mode

3. Firefox with NoScript and some other security related addons

4. IMF Pro

5. SAS Pro

That combination does a very nice job of keeping my computer free of malware.

I have read that MSE can not be used on W8. This is probably due to the fact that Windows Defender on W8 is a complete anti-malware program and uses the same virus definitions as MSE

???

Are you saying that Microsoft changed the Name from MSE to Defender in W-8?

Since Defender Was the original name of their security software, I can see why they would do that.

The old Defender was Not Complete Malware protection.

???

Are you saying that Microsoft changed the Name from MSE to Defender in W-8?

Since Defender Was the original name of their security software, I can see why they would do that.

The old Defender was Not Complete Malware protection.

No I am not saying that.

What I am saying is that Microsoft upgraded Windows Defender in W8 to be a complete anti-malware program. It is still called Windows Defender just an upgrade to the previous version which was not a full fledged anti-malware program.

MSE and WD prior to W8 will not run on W8. The upgraded version of Windows Defender which comes only with W8 and will not run on Microsoft OS other than W8. If fact I don't think you can download it from the web. It comes pre-installed with W8 and that is it.

However, MSE and W8 Windows Defender use the same virus definitions.

Many programs including a number of Windows programs from Microsoft that run on W7 will not run on W8. MSE and the older version of WD are just two among that group of progams that are incompatible with W8

MSE and W8 Windows Defender use the same virus definitions.

I do understand what you are saying,

but to me That is saying that they really 'Just changed the Name of MSE'

and made it compatible with W-8. ;-)

And I think it was a Good Move by Microsoft. :idea:

Windows-Defender 8:) is a Much Better name than Microsoft-Security-Essentials. :roll::grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Toppack and Buddahfan!

Quote by Buddahfan:

However, MSE and W8 Windows Defender use the same virus definitions.

I don't see how this is possible as personally I have had Defender come back clean and MSE Quarintine.

Hey I'm a poet!:mrgreen:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived