IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Still slow...

Julio Bro

Even though I saw some improvements, particularly in the ram use, I still have some issues that I don't find how to improve.

A simple way to see what causes the most slow down is the Windows Task Manager tray icon, because it shows processor usage. So, things get worse when using internet, particularly sites like youtube and Facebook; the processor jumps from whatever low percent, say 24% to 85%, or even 95%, and then almost everything freezes. And this is with more than 1G of ram available...I don't get it.

I thought that maybe ASC would do something for this, even with Turbo Boost on all the time.

As you may have seen my system is Vista with an Intel Core2 processor, the index is 1.9 from the memory usage, which I don't understand because it's usually over 1G, from the 2G available. Maybe the Core2 is just a piece of crap, but seeing the issue is mostly from internet use...maybe there's some settings to change and help?

Hi Julio Bro! Welcome to the Iobit forums!

If your index is that low, there is something eating your processor and RAM. What is the Browser you are using? Is it loaded with add-ons or toolbars? Have you limited your start-up programs?

If you run Piriform Speccy and post the information gathered, we can have a fairly good look inside your machine. The free version will do fine. Speccy is free, safe, light on your system, and from a highly respected author.

The SysExplorer tool in the Iobit toolbox will also provide a much more limited report, but is better than nothing.

Without some kind of look in your machine, there is only general suggestions the members here can offer.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Alright, used Speccy. I tried attaching the report, but it's too big. How can I make it smaller.

Something I saw strange was the amount of scheduled tasks, and some that are not supposed to be there. I saw a Windows Defrag scheduled, which I didn't know about; already turned off.

I uninstalled Spybot, so why is that there? How may I remove the schedule?

Alright, used Speccy. I tried attaching the report, but it's too big. How can I make it smaller.

Something I saw strange was the amount of scheduled tasks, and some that are not supposed to be there. I saw a Windows Defrag scheduled, which I didn't know about; already turned off.

I uninstalled Spybot, so why is that there? How may I remove the schedule?

Hello Julio Bro!

Try WinPatrol, it's free and it gives you the ability to display your scheduled tasks. Should you still need more advise, feel free to post back ...

http://picload.org/image/dgciili/unbenannt.png

Have a nice day!

Sarakael

Sound advice Sarakael!

Here is the download link for WinPatrol, this tool will accomplish some of these tasks. Win Patrol is an effective tool for managing your applications and services. There are other tools available (most of which you already have) that will help you with this.

You may want to uninstall the toolbar callingglobal unless you feel it is absolutely necessary. If you have the option to disable the HP print spooler and other HP printer services until called upon I would do that. Also you appear to have three printers installed beyond the MS interface, that are all running services. Do you use three printers? If not uninstall the ones you aren't using. In all of your frequently used softwares turn off all auto updaters by choosing them to check for updates at launch. Opt out of any options in your softwares to minimize to system tray when closed (unless you have chosen them for system protection). Printers, Cameras, Phones...etc LOVE to leave unnecessary services running!

Overall your machine is not too badly cluttered. Basicaly, when you look at your system tray in the bottom right of your Vista you should only see 4 or 5 system Icons, and the Icons associated with your Anti-virus or anti-malware protections you have enabled. Any other services will start anyway when you open the software. Make your system tray small!!!!:-D

For security and speed:

If you are not using Internet Explorer 9 for Vista (I see that it is the active browser)... (can't tell which version in the zipped file) get it here. Make sure to uncheck the Bing and MSN box before downloading!!

Your Java may be out of date! Please download JavaRa here. Use the Sun button to check for updates, then use the remove older versions button. If for some reason you can't find the Sun spot (pun) you can get it here. You need the newest version.

By the age of your machine it is loaded with leftovers that TFC by old timer will remove (the ones left behind the other cleaners missed... it will not erase your history or saved stuff... just run it!!) It will require a re-boot when complete, in your case. So run it when you are ready to reboot. It will take awhile to run on your machine I believe... even if it appears stuck, it is not... just leave it alone and let it finish.

Also please download SuperAntiSpyware free here and run a full scan with the installed defaults. [important!!] (then post the log)

Also try using Firefox or Opera to see if the load diminishes on your system. (These are easily found browser alterntatives to IE). Let me know if you need the links.

System concern:

I am concerned about your system temperatures. Your processor reports 74 degrees Celcious( 165.2 ºF), your System 76 C (168.8 ºF), but your HD 61 C (141.8 ºF). These temps are borderline dangerous and can result in BSOD errors eventually... then hardware failure. Can you hear your fan run? And can you hear it ramp up and down?

Please make sure you are using this machine on a flat hard surface. No mats or carpets. Look at the intake and exhaust ports on the bottom and sides. Please use a vacuum with a dust brush to gently remove any debris from the intake fan on the bottom and the exhaust ports on the side. Under no circumstance blow dirt further into the machine from the outside using "canned air". Under no circumstance place a strong direct vacuum directly over any of the ports. Use the dust brush on the end of the hose to gently clean any material away and not push it into the machine. From the disparity of the temps some of the internal cooling channels may already be clogged.

Do these things and then post back with news. I have a couple more suggestions, but these will take you a minute anyway.

I posted back as quick as I could. Thank you for posting back!;-)

Hopefully others will post as well.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I have IE9 and Java is up to date; antivirus/malware is AVAST and ASC (shouldn't they be enough?). CallingID is a nice bar that shows info on the site you're on, with warnings and recommendations. ASC or AVAST have something like that?

Managed to take care of the unwanted tasks by researching around, also used Toolbar Cleaner to eliminate those unwanted.

The TFC link didn't work, I'll look for it in the forums. But, is the software available somewhere else?

And something very important that you noticed, although I have felt the machine hot, I didn't check the fan. You know what? I think it's not working or at least, not up to spec. Usually I heard it when rebooting, but now I don't think is turning on.

What could be a check and fix for the fan issue?

With regards to my sluggish performance, and remember, it's in video sites, like youtube, and, for some reason, Facebook. I do know this, they work faster in daytime on labor days. I'm guessing that element means a traffic thing, how may I improve on that?

Another particular observation is, whenever a site has this banner/submenu bar (the ones that have like, icons, for Twitter, Facebook, and such), browsing gets very slow. Closing them helps, but doesn't completely returns performance. Only when I close the site, performance returns; that is something to analyze right?

Hi :mrgreen:

The TFC link didn't work, I'll look for it in the forums. But, is the software available somewhere else?
You can download it from here - http://download.cnet.com/Temp-File-Cleaner/3000-2094_4-10628816.html

Please provide some additional infos ...

-How much programs/apps are installed on your machine?

-What's the current reg.-value of your Master File Table?

You'll find it here > Open in regedit ( WIN + R ):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem and navigate to - NtfsMftZoneReservation

Have good time!

Sarakael

Thanks Sarakael:-)!! I have fixed that link now.

Hi Julio Bro!

Please get the TFC and run it... then run the SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) from the link in my previous post... and then include the log in your next post.

antivirus/malware is AVAST and ASC (shouldn't they be enough?
There is never enough Julio Bro and you must cover as many angles as possible and never become too comfortable with a security solution.

Please attend to Sarakael's questions.

Most importantly!!!

Try this software to check your cooling. It may be cumbersome but it is good. If you come back with malfunctioning hardware (fan or fans) it is very important that you stop using the machine immediately... then replace the broken hardware. [bTW: SpeedFan is opensource software so pay attention when you are installing :shock: so you get only what you want!]

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!!

Archived