IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

DONT use Smart Defrag!!

goel

Please DONT use Smart Defrag!!

I used it to regain some space on my C Drive after Defragging,

but SmartDefrag just did the opposite.

Used it for 1st time today( I used 'Defrag and Full optimize').

by reading the feature i thought it would add few GB of free space.

but after 30 mins, instead of gaining any space, C drive lost around 5 GB. (THe only drive i defragged was C)

I ran it few more times, but nothing changed. check the screen shot.

I have uninstalled it and will be using Windows Defrag.

I noticed that your C: drive is getting close to the Minimum amount of free-space required for SD to operate correctly. :shock:

Sorry, but you really need to get a larger C: drive :!:

58.GB is not enough space for Vista OS and much of anything else.

My suggestion is to not try to install so Many OSs and use all the drive space for Only One OS,

(Re-allocate more space to C:drive)

if you can not put larger drives in computer.

Hi goel

I just want to try and explain that defragmenting does not create free space as such.

The amount of data and the amount of free space doesn't change in amount - but the placing of the data and the free space is sorted less haphazardly which creates larger contiguous areas in the harddisk.

This makes it easier for the reading heads to find the data you are looking for - this is the sole purpose of defragmenting.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the two different pictures you showed in your screenshot had two different depictions of the free space of C: - why was that - the SD showed about 5GB more free space than the other picture?

Did they depict the same situation at precicely the same time and same configuration?

If so they must have different parameters for computing the free space.

Please DONT use Smart Defrag!!

but SmartDefrag just did the opposite.

Used it for 1st time today( I used 'Defrag and Full optimize').

by reading the feature i thought it would add few GB of free space.

but after 30 mins, instead of gaining any space, C drive lost around 5 GB. (THe only drive i defragged was C)

I ran it few more times, but nothing changed. check the screen shot.

I have uninstalled it and will be using Windows Defrag.

Solbjerg-

1. I completely agree with you, I too meant the same when i said 'gaining space' and i dont defrag often, AFAIK, its been more than 2.5 yrs i have done that.

2. Hence I was seriously expecting the free space to increase by few GB and as you mentioned, i too thought it would not only defrag (by placing files in contiguous memory space) but it would also place frequently used files at the beginning of drive(since I chose 'Defrag & optimize' option).

3. No, they are not 2 different pictures. what SD shows is before defrag and 'My computer' window is after defrag).

(I just placed the 2 windows side-by-side to show how much space i lost after defraging).

Thanks for your suggestion 'Toppack', but i already have SP2 for Vista and do not install updates, and install new programs to another drive, so dont think it will ever increase.

moderator emailed that topic heading doesnt support the fact/ is negative. mod- i do not assume, i posted only after

"1. using it only once, 1st time

2. since it lost so much space(yeah, since only 15GB was free on C, losing 5GB is too much...) I ran 'defrag and optimize' 2nd time, then open, close ran again, since there was no change,

3. restarted computer and used CCleaner. still no change.

4. restarted in other 2 OS, size is same.

5. restart in Vista to check if files were moved from other drives into C by smartdefrag or by any other software.( in that process, I deleted few thousand files left over by various programs after uninstall and also other files, like 'google earth' cache which was around 500MB).

6. ran defrag again and took screen shot.

Hi goel

I would like a complete description of your settings and the files you have on your computer.

Since you have never run a defragment of your computer with SmartDefrag - from where did the program then know that you had 15GB free space left?

You then checked the free space by My Computer after having run a defrag?? Why was that? Wasn't that "new amount" of free space reported by SD?

Is SD and My computer in accordance now (agreeing on the amount of free space)?

The amount of free space is by now too low in that drive - which by the way probably were the reason the defrag took so long + that you hadn't defragged for a very long time, I think.

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg-

1. I completely agree with you, I too meant the same when i said 'gaining space' and i dont defrag often, AFAIK, its been more than 2.5 yrs i have done that.

2. Hence I was seriously expecting the free space to increase by few GB and as you mentioned, i too thought it would not only defrag (by placing files in contiguous memory space) but it would also place frequently used files at the beginning of drive(since I chose 'Defrag & optimize' option).

3. No, they are not 2 different pictures. what SD shows is before defrag and 'My computer' window is after defrag).

(I just placed the 2 windows side-by-side to show how much space i lost after defraging).

Hi goel!

AFAIK, its been more than 2.5 yrs i have done that

AFAIC (as far as I'm concerned) I am curious as to why you would not attempt to defrag over a 2.5 year period of time considering the limited size of your HD??

Just curious!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. To all who see this... the usage of text anagrams is highly discouraged as this is a worldwide forum and text anagrams tend to be cultural! Please say exactly what you mean!! The translating softwares will not translate your anagrams!!

Well...

respectfully guys,you're getting off the track here.

How many OS's and how long since a defrag are not the issue(s) here.

I'd be curious to know what SD and Windows reported as free space on partition C: before the defrag was run.

Additionally,I find it interesting that SD and Windows are pretty much spot on in regard to partition F:-so why not C:

We aren't seeing comparisons for partition D: or the one shown as "server" I'd like to see those as well

Seems to me that one of the programs is reporting inaccurate information regarding free space on partition C:

There are many free disk analyzers available,and I would like to see the results from one of those if you are willing to install and run one.

Sorry,I have no favorite or recommendation here,so Google away if you are so inclined.

I would imagine the image of My Computer was after/during the defrag with Smart Defrag.

Smart Defrag doesn't update in real time. Basically he was showing the before and after, with Smart Defrag showing what he started out with.

I still say that the Main Problem is that

there is not enough disk-space allocated to the C: drive.

And removing the Extra OSs and re-allocating that space

would Fix that problem. ;-)

Of course, it would be Best to Start-over with a Larger drive, if possible.

Archived