IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Boot/BCD Fails to Defragment

computerbobo

When I do Boot Defragment and the computer restarts it defragments a bunch of places that couldn't be defragmented while the PC is on. The only one that fails is BOOT/BCD. Any reason why or how to fix it. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I have Smart Defrag Version 2.5. Also I have Advanced System Care 5.3 Pro. Thanks

Hi Cicely,

Although you have replied to computerbobo in THIS thread in ASC5 section about the same issue, failing of the defragmentation of BOOT/BCD happens at the start of Windows (black screen) and a screenshot can not be taken at the time of occurance without a virtual OS.

It is the same (Defragmentation fails for BOOT/BCD) when Registry Defrag is performed in ASC anyway.

Cheers.

Hi computerbobo.

What is broken that needs to be fixed? I am curious as to why it is so important that you defrag this anyway? Considering the relative size of your harddrive to the size of your registry?

Consider a closet with useful things in it that you commonly use getting these things and then returning them. If a thing is easily accessable already, and doesn't obstruct your access to the other things in the closet... why would you want to move it elsewhere in the closet?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi again computerbobo.

The fastest/easiest way to speed a boot is to limit the start-up programs and services. Opening an application later may take a second longer but because the system has had time to "settle down" after boot-up it is generally faster this way. Consider also that every automatic function you enable in any of your programs will initialize a service that occurs at boot (such as auto updaters etc.) So by limiting your start-ups to only system essentials and system protections you eliminate much lag. The size of your registry is very small comparatively and your HD will speedily access the system registry files. Lags come on the HD having to locate... and the processor then start the later installed services.

A boot-time defrag may help a bit when you are dealing with a machine that has had many softwares installed and removed over a long period of time. You may also consider the risk of moving important system files repetitively as every time they are moved there is a small risk of corruption (getting knocked over in the closet).

It is also a common misconception that defragging frequently... increases overall performance of speed of a machine... in fact you are generally just wearing the drive out prematurely by working it to early death. The limiting factors are many. Generally on a home users computer I use the rule "once a month is just enough". A proper defragmentation of course involves a cleansing of all the clutter on your system before hand, so that you aren't just moving the clutter around.

Here is another allegory: Consider your vehicle and an adjustable wrench... Your PC is the Vehicle and the adjustable wrench is maintenace softwares (ASC in particular along with SmartDefrag in this case). You discover an adjustable wrench and you repetitively tighten all nuts and bolts on your vehicle. (thinking you are doing good) then one day some strip out as they have been over tightened... then you have big problems... perhaps you stripped the spark plug threads and you have a plug blowing out of the block now (big time major repair). Perhaps you find the door is hard to open now as you over tightened the hinge bolts. Perhaps the nuts on the airflow meter of your fuel injection system have stripped... now it gets too much air and doesn't run properly... many things could be the problem at that point as everything has been overtightened because of misuse of the wonderful adjustable wrench. Tools must be used properly.

I hope this helps!:smile:

There are many thoughts on defragmentation here in the forums if you search the threads.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived