IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

computer lag during scan

my computer lags during the scheduled scan of the AV and sometimes the window of the AV scan is not responding,i don't have such issue when using ASC Beta + ESET,i use ESET Smart Security 6 and i don't feel any slowdown/lags during scheduled scan,and also no annoying pop up of the AV window every time a scan starts >.>

It's definitely not the fastest AV scanner around.

Just upgraded and ran an ASC w AV and an avast! AIS 7 custom scan, both of just my internal HDD which is using about 40GB on the 500GB HDD.

W7 SP1 x64 (Went back to W7 SP1 in preparation for W8 RTM in October)

Athlon II dual processor at 2.8 Mhz

8 GB RAM

.5 GB Graphics card

Default Windows memory settings

ASC w AV

CPU usage varied between 75% and 99%

Files Scanned - 332,515

Scan Time - 35:22

Infections found - 0

avast! AIS 7

CPU usage varied between 20% and 55%

Files Scanned - 583,533

Scan Time - 22:03

Infections found - 0

ASC w AV is nice second opinion and secondary real-time protection program.

Hi ragous,

Did you have this problem with the latest ASC with Antivirus or you always have this problem since you use ASC with Antivirus?

When you say ASC beta, do you mean ASC V6 beta? ASC V6 does't have the antivirus function in ASC with Antivirus. So there should be some difference.

The information in Buddahfan's post is very detailed. It takes the CPU a little higher. I will forward this information to the programmers and hope they will make some improvement.

Hi ragous,

Did you have this problem with the latest ASC with Antivirus or you always have this problem since you use ASC with Antivirus?

When you say ASC beta, do you mean ASC V6 beta? ASC V6 does't have the antivirus function in ASC with Antivirus. So there should be some difference.

The information in Buddahfan's post is very detailed. It takes the CPU a little higher. I will forward this information to the programmers and hope they will make some improvement.

I also have a Desktop (same configuration as Desktop whose stats I posted above) that has a single core AMD Sempron 140 2.7 Mhz CPU and a third Desktop that I need to configure which has a 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (6M Cache, 3.0 GHz). All are/will be running W7-SP1 for a while. I replaced the W8-RP on the first two desktops and returned to W7-SP1 for now. The 3rd desktop in addition to the faster CPU has faster RAM so I would expect an improvement in scan times and CPU usage range. I have no idea what the Bus speeds or HDD read speeds are on the three computers.

I will try in the next week or so to post the scanning information from the other two desktops for comparative purposes. They should all be configured the same.

Note: As I recall some scanning programs are more efficient on W8 than W7 however, my recall could be incorrect.

It's definitely not the fastest AV scanner around.

Just upgraded and ran an ASC w AV and an avast! AIS 7 custom scan, both of just my internal HDD which is using about 40GB on the 500GB HDD.

W7 SP1 x64 (Went back to W7 SP1 in preparation for W8 RTM in October)

Athlon II dual processor at 2.8 Mhz

8 GB RAM

.5 GB Graphics card

Default Windows memory settings

ASC w AV

CPU varied between 75% and 99%

Files Scanned - 332,515

Scan Time - 35:22

Infections found - 0

avast! AIS 7

CPU usage varied between 20% and 55%

Files Scanned - 583,533

Scan Time - 22:03

Infections found - 0

ASC w AV is nice second opinion and secondary real-time protection program.

Ran my first full Internal HDD scan on my new Dell 660MT with a 2nd gen Intel Core i5-2320 processor 3GHz, 8GB RAM, W7-SP1, Windows default memory settings

CPU usage varied: 1st 3rd of scan around 10%, middle third around 30%, last third around 50% with some short readings in the 75% range but never exceeded 80% the entire time

Files Scanned - 314,352

Scan Time - 17::55

Infections found - 0

avast! AIS 7

CPU usage mostly varied between 10% and 30% and never exceeded 40%

Files Scanned - 442,984

Scan Time - 11:48

Infections found - 0

Nice Processor - LOL

No idea why the CPU usage increased as the scan went along. The same thing happened with the avast! AIS scan. Could be a cache thing and the way that W7-SP1 handles memory. Anyway based upon my experience with W8-DP, W8-CP and W8-RP on my Dell 570MT desktops I expect the scanning time will go down some once I upgrade to W8-RTM in October.

Archived