IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows 8 Detects No Anti-Spyware

So I have another question here:

Can leaving traces of other software behind, registry keys, folders and files, be harmful to your computer??

In regards to my clean installs I must add that I was doing a clean install twice a year whether it needed it or not. Lately though I have been checking out new software and doing much uninstalling. And as everyone knows these programs leave much behind after an uninstall.

I will admit I do it way too often but it makes me feel as though I have all the stuff left behind by uninstalled software off my system. I then have a good feeling that my system is "polished" after doing a clean install.

Actually, according to MS Access' license info one can only install so many times before they must activate the product by phone.

Hi JamesJ,

FYI, there are unistaller programs such as IObit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, etc., that after uninstalling the programs through them, you can have a powerful scan for the left over items, folders, registry entries, etc., and delete them on demand if you wish.

Although you can install the stand alone one, IObit Uninstaller is included in Toolbox of ASC.

Also, please note that after a clean install of Windows, the hard disk is not in it's optimum condition and needs defragmentation if not a registry defragmentation and have security vulnarabilities until updated if not a very recent image is used.

Cheers.

JamesJ

As Enoskype says, the Iobit uninstaller, which is part of ASC, will help to remove the fragments normally left behind, and then the cleaning and repair functions of ASC will keep the registry clean and remove the junk files. That along with a weekly defragment and an occasional disk scan with ASC, should be more than enough to keep your machine ticking away happily.

I am glad you have realised that so much uninstalling and clean installing, while unnecessary, is also not good for your machine.

Do not be overworried all the time about how clean your machine is. ASC and a good Anti-virus will keep you safe, and allow you to enjoy your pc without worrying.

I, personally like ASC. So far I would say it's the best I've worked with and I've worked with many.

But, I've been getting mixed reactions on Microsoft Answers for some time concerning registry cleaners. Some believe it's not necessary or in fact dangerous to use these registry cleaners.

Every time I post there and bring it up that I was using a system suite the replier (usually a support engineer) will more-or-less chastise me for using a registry cleaner.

I've been using them for a long time and I can only remember a couple times when the system went haywire and I was positive it was the cleaner.

I personally feel better knowing I at least made an effort to clean things out of the registry.

I will never go into the registry and play around with keys I have no idea about. The only ones I mess with are the 'Run' keys and I tweaked the registry to hide all those other folders in Explorer. (Homegroup, Network...)

Yes, there are Many Registry-cleaners available.

From what I've read Most are Not very good, some are Very Good and some are Terrible (and are really a Scam).

I can only suggest that we read a Lot of Reviews before selecting one to use.

Most can Not Fix things like Trojan and Worm viruses though. :-?

Searching for and Deleting them with 'Regedit' is still the Best way, if you are very careful and know what to look for.

(A great deal of that 'RegEdit' Info is available on the Internet at Microsoft and other websites)

Hi JamesJ.

I, personally like ASC. So far I would say it's the best I've worked with and I've worked with many.

But, I've been getting mixed reactions on Microsoft Answers for some time concerning registry cleaners. Some believe it's not necessary or in fact dangerous to use these registry cleaners.

Every time I post there and bring it up that I was using a system suite the replier (usually a support engineer) will more-or-less chastise me for using a registry cleaner.

I've been using them for a long time and I can only remember a couple times when the system went haywire and I was positive it was the cleaner.

I personally feel better knowing I at least made an effort to clean things out of the registry.

I will never go into the registry and play around with keys I have no idea about. The only ones I mess with are the 'Run' keys and I tweaked the registry to hide all those other folders in Explorer. (Homegroup, Network...)

There are many threads on many forums, including this one, on this subject. I state my personal opinion once again: the purists argure that any "tampering with the registry is harmful" the others argue against this point. I can only testify to my own personal knowledge and experience. A properly run and managed reputable registry repair tool will in fact make big improvements to your system if it is cluttered with remnants. There are many factors involved with this (user system history, age of system, infection... etc.)

There are many users who are obsessed with registry cleaning and repair. Many of these end up damaging their OS. Many of them don't even understand their registry or the importance of continuity within it. It is important to understand your actions with the tools you use on your machine! Learn about the tools before using them!:shock: (If you hired me to cut down a tree, and I pulled out a pocket knife and started chopping with it you would know that I don't understand tree tools)

For most users a greater improvement in their system will be realized by other means... (managing the softwares installed, eliminating clutter... etc.)

Oops JamesJ... Win8 is not yet complete? Perhaps the imaging will be available then. In the meantime you could try macrium free... it is good.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I only scan the registry once in while. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about what uninstalled software might leave behind. At this time, though, I have my system pretty much the way I want.

I'm just waiting for the release of Windows 8.

I'm currently using Active@ Disk Image.

Thanks much for the insight.

James

Hi Mel :-)

I have some comments on the "tree allegory"

The important thing about thing about a forest is to keep it healthy.

This you do by creating an environment that gives the trees the best possible conditions (enough space to grow and get the life-giving sunlight and cutting down dead or sick trees)

I remember that an experiment was performed where they kept the ants out of a section in the forest and after a comparatively short time the trees began developing sickness and die.

Cheers

solbjerg

There are many threads on many forums, including this one, on this subject. I state my personal opinion once again: the purists argure that any "tampering with the registry is harmful" the others argue against this point. I can only testify to my own personal knowledge and experience. A properly run and managed reputable registry repair tool will in fact make big improvements to your system if it is cluttered with remnants. There are many factors involved with this (user system history, age of system, infection... etc.)

There are many users who are obsessed with registry cleaning and repair. Many of these end up damaging their OS. Many of them don't even understand their registry or the importance of continuity within it. It is important to understand your actions with the tools you use on your machine! Learn about the tools before using them!:shock: (If you hired me to cut down a tree, and I pulled out a pocket knife and started chopping with it you would know that I don't understand tree tools)

For most users a greater improvement in their system will be realized by other means... (managing the softwares installed, eliminating clutter... etc.)

Oops JamesJ... Win8 is not yet complete? Perhaps the imaging will be available then. In the meantime you could try macrium free... it is good.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Mel :-)

I have some comments on the "tree allegory"

The important thing about thing about a forest is to keep it healthy.

This you do by creating an environment that gives the trees the best possible conditions (enough space to grow and get the life-giving sunlight and cutting down dead or sick trees)

I remember that an experiment was performed where they kept the ants out of a section in the forest and after a comparatively short time the trees began developing sickness and die.

Cheers

solbjerg

True but even with a clean forest you have to be careful that Robin Hood won't steal your ID and money:lol:

Archived